Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
Hack to Toggle Location Info at Bottom of Screen?

Did a few searches, my apologies if I missed a previous post. Has anyone made a hack to make the location info at the bottom of the kindle togglable on and off, preferably via a shortcut or menu option.

Just thought I'd ask.
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
This would make reading on my K3 perfect, it's the first feedback I made to Amazon when I received my K3 in Sept...

Please make it so...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Would also love to have this.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
primeintuition
primeintuition began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd like to bump this thread for more notice - I for one would enjoy reading on my Kindle a lot more without that location bar.

Consider it, please! You'll earn my eternal gratitude.

Last edited by primeintuition; 11-22-2016 at 01:42 PM.
primeintuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

If you could remove it thus allowing for more text on the screen, then it would be perfect
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
primeintuition
primeintuition began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
If you could remove it thus allowing for more text on the screen, then it would be perfect
Yeah, that would be perfect... but personally I'd settle for simply removing it in favor of blank space. I find it very distracting. It's hard to get into "the zone" and focus on the material when I'm interrupted by a progress update at the end of every page. I find myself racing the location bar and trying to calculate the number of locations per page and the number of pages per percentage point...

Yeah, I'm odd, but I can't be the only one. The location bar is a curse!
primeintuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

I'd also be in favor of removing the Title-Wifi/3G Battery Bar when reading ebooks,
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
On the k3, the top bar info disappears automatically. Pressing Menu will reveal/hide it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
On the k3, the top bar info disappears automatically. Pressing Menu will reveal/hide it.
It would be great if the location info was displayed when the menu button was pushed and disappeared when you pressed the forward or backward page.

I really don't understand why they have to have it displayed. I can understand that some people want to know how far they are in the book, but there should be a more unobtrusive way to get that info.

How hard would this be to remove?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately this would probably involve changing the Kindle Java framework. Since the source code for that is not released by Amazon, this task would be very hard to accomplish.
The hacks so far (screensaver, fonts, etc) do not directly touch that, they work by changing the Linux filesystem and/or changing/adding some scripts.
Maybe someone with better knowledge on the Kindle internals can discover a clever way to do that, but for me it does not seem to be an easy task.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
zetlorf
zetlorf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you install fbKindle, there is an option to hide the location bar...
zetlorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetlorf View Post
If you install fbKindle, there is an option to hide the location bar...
and fbKindle is?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
and fbKindle is?
a hack. Search this forum for it...
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
a hack. Search this forum for it...
I did know, i Just thought it would have been nice if the poster had given a bit more info...
Old 12-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi

So I have to install a Russian Alpha hack to get rid of the location bar... hmm.. sounds risky. hehe