Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #46
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
OK as in creating a series of folders? Sorry for my ignorance.
/mnt/us/ is simply the Linux folder address for the root of the Kindle user partition that you see in Windows. (eg: K:\).
All you need to do is create the diagnostic_logs on the root of your Kindle partition and create an empty device_info.xml in it.
You should end with the following structure:
K:\diagnostic_logs\device_info.xml (assuming K:\ is your Kindle)
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #47
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
/mnt/us/ is simply the Linux folder address for the root of the Kindle user partition that you see in Windows. (eg: K:\).
All you need to do is create the diagnostic_logs on the root of your Kindle partition and create an empty device_info.xml in it.
You should end with the following structure:
K:\diagnostic_logs\device_info.xml (assuming K:\ is your Kindle)
Thanks for talking me through it. I did all that and ran the restart, but it just restarted normally and didn't enter diagnostic mode. Not a big deal. I just was hoping to go ahead and jailbreak to be ready once the screensaver mod works with 5.1 -- but that's the only hack I'd want to run. I really wish I hadn't updated to 5.1 since I really miss custom screensavers more than I like landscape mode.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #48
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Thanks for talking me through it. I did all that and ran the restart, but it just restarted normally and didn't enter diagnostic mode. Not a big deal. I just was hoping to go ahead and jailbreak to be ready once the screensaver mod works with 5.1 -- but that's the only hack I'd want to run. I really wish I hadn't updated to 5.1 since I really miss custom screensavers more than I like landscape mode.
You must be careful to create the ENABLE_DIAGS file without any extension (like .txt). Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options and disable "Hide extensions for known file types." on the View Tab.
And you must create it on the root of the kindle, not in any folder.

Last edited by wolftail; 04-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #49
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
You must be careful to create the ENABLE_DIAGS file without any extension (like .txt). Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options and disable "Hide extensions for known file types." on the View Tab.
So it's a blank text file without any extension?

BTW, I'm a Mac.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #50
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I have an even better solution. All you need to do is create an empty device_info.xml in /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs/ (that's where all the diagnostics results are saved) and the Kindle will disable and exit diagnostics gracefully (and will even populate the file with some info). After successfully rebooting, the diagnostic_logs folder can be safely deleted.

I will do some more experiments just to see exactly which diagnostic option has created the file in the first place later (I feel that at the moment, my Kindle has had a bit too many reboots for it's health and/or sanity ).
Umm... those two linux commands I posted above do *exactly* what you said to do. They should be in the RUNME.sh. They both do exactly nothing if the directory and file already exist, and require no additional manual steps by the user.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
wolftail
Connoisseur

Quote:
So it's a blank text file without any extension?

BTW, I'm a Mac.
Yes, a blank file without extension.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #52
sparrowlight
Zealot

OK. I did that. Blank text file, no extension, in the root. The device_info.xml in the diagnostic_logs folder ... restart. No dice.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #53
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I have created a short guide on how to Jailbreak 5.1 in the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method
Thank you!

Following this, I have updated the wiki as well (tried to restructure things so they don't get out of hand), and it seems like we ran into an (edit) conflict. Could you please check the latest version, just to make sure it's ok?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #54
wolftail
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Umm... those two linux commands I posted above do *exactly* what you said to do. They should be in the RUNME.sh. They both do exactly nothing if the directory and file already exist, and require no additional manual steps by the user.
I started writing my message before seeing yours so sorry if I wrote the same information.
I'm pretty sure that when I started writing, your message wasn't posted yet but I was going through diagnostics to test everything while writing so I ended up posting it after you.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #55
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who did not understand the purpose of the two linux commands I posted, they go in the RUNME.sh file, or better yet, the payload dropped by data.tar.gz. They do nothing unless the folder or file are missing, in which case they are created. All automatic, with no manual steps or worry by the end user. The USER does not need extra steps. Those are part of the payload...

Here they are again:

mkdir -p /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs
touch /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml

More details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2041719

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #56
wolftail
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thank you!

Following this, I have updated the wiki as well (tried to restructure things so they don't get out of hand), and it seems like we ran into an (edit) conflict. Could you please check the latest version, just to make sure it's ok?
Looks perfect to me. I only made minor edits to make things clearer but your version is actually a lot easier to understand and follow.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #57
geekmaster

Why aren't those linux commands in the jailbreak installer or payload?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #58
wolftail
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Why aren't those linux commands in the jailbreak installer or payload?
No one updated the payload yet because it was easier to add one extra step in the instructions. Adding the device_info.xml creation in the payload should make things a bit easier for everyone.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #59
geekmaster

The Universal Jailbreak needs another step:

After the "You are Jailbroken" file appeared, my "Update Your Kindle" menu option was still grayed out after I copied an update install package to my touch (fw 5.0.4). I needed another restart not listed in the jailbreak instructions before the "Update Your Kindle" menu option worked.

So, I suggest adding another restart AFTER the "You are Jailbroken" file is installed. This should help avoid some confusion...

EDIT: This universal jailbreak is nice. It has a lot more restarts and other steps than using my simple one-step "secret" jailbreak, but we are saving that for when we need it, and as long as this "more complicated" method is well-documented and people follow the instructions, it will do the job just fine.

Also, after I installed the new diags partition that comes on new kindles, I am happy to say that the universal jailbreak recommended in this thread works fine on it too (except for the extra restart needed before any packages can be installed).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-14-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #60
vpx
vpx began at the beginning.

Device: KT
5.1, jailbreak and no ads

Hello, I tried diag method yesterday and found a solution too. It is enough to go to Device Settings in diagnostics and mandatory file is created . But I have another problem. After factory reset I lost disabled ads, but cannot find a solution to disable them again. Old method used data.tar.gz method and JB_RUNME.sh. Do I need use data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh + booting into diagnostics partition to remove ads again?
vpx is offline   Reply With Quote