Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
DigitALL
DigitALL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
[Old Thread] Calibre Conversion to Romanian

Hello folks,

I have several Romanian books in PDF, doc and rtf format and I tried all options to convert them to mobi using Calibre. I have a Kindle 3.
The books are encoded correctly in the mentioned format and specific diacritics such as: ă, â, ț, î, ş are showing correctly but as soon as I convert them to mobi, I loose all of them. This is the case using a pdf or doc or rtf as a source.
I have tried each character encoding from "Input character encoding" option, even the iso_2022_jp with no luck.
As a reference, I already have a converted mobi romanian and in both, Kindle and Mac Kindle reader are displayed with the correct diacritics. What am I doing wrong, or would you suggest a different approach, please?
DigitALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
ivishor
ivishor began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
i have an iphone and i had the same problem with calibre. The thing is that calibre doesn't read correctly romanian characters from .doc and .rtf
The solution that i found was to open .doc and .rtf formats with microsoft office word and save as .html
After that open .html format with calibre and convert them into kindle format
Hope it helps
ivishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
PDF docs can be problematic in general, it could be the pdf. Doc format is not supported - you need to save doc as 'filtered html' from Microsoft Word, and then import the html file to Calibre. I'm not sure what encoding Word uses by default, but if it lets you choose make sure you choose UTF-8.

I'm not certain of the current state of RTF conversion - historically non-ascii wasn't supported, but there has been a lot of work to support unicode for RTF input recently - so this may be a bug or it may be un-supported, someone else may be able to better comment. A workaround you could try is to open the RTF with Microsoft Word, save it as Filtered HTML, and then import the html to Calibre.

Lastly, do the books look ok in Calibre's viewer after converting them? I'm no expert on what the Kindle supports, but it's possible it doesn't support these characters.

You may want to check this link to see what's supported on the Kindle:
http://www.freekindlebooks.org/Unicode/unicode.html

If the characters are supported on Kindle, and you've followed all the steps above, there may be a bug, you can open a bug with an example at bugs.calibre-ebook.com.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
DigitALL

Thank you for replies guys.

The Kindle can handle the characters with no problem since I already have few books in Romanian.

I am not yet at converting pdf to rtf since I did not find a reliable method to keep the correct diacritics.
Talking only about rtf files, since Calibre does not have Romanian as default, I used Turkish since there are very similar characters. Other options do not work.
But I have a puzzle with the rtf files and hopefully someone could help me.

The rtf files I have look like this:

If I convert this file, I get a mobi that diacritics are not correct and it looks like this:

If I take the same file and use "Wrap to Page" in text editor and then save it, I get this:

If I then convert this wrapped to page file in Calibre, I get the CORRECT diacritics but with some empty spaces inserted that do not belong there.

I have tried all kinds of combinations in Calibre without success. Could anyone suggest please?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I take it that you have your answer at this point so I would like to give you one tool to help with your romainian books. http://ro.openoffice.org/ is a romainian languege version of a popular free office software, open office.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
DigitALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I take it that you have your answer at this point so I would like to give you one tool to help with your romainian books. http://ro.openoffice.org/ is a romainian languege version of a popular free office software, open office.
Not quite... I am able to convert with correct diacritics but what about the spaces I mentioned and shown? How can I get rid of them? To me it still is some sort of formatting error inserted after conversion to mobi. In the rtf file the space is not there...

I will look into Openoffice application, thank you. Is it good to create books, to import rtf and generate mobi or other Kindle compatible?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It doesn't sound like you took our advice and used Microsoft Word's filtered HTML output... Do you not have MS Word? If not you can use Open Office to basically do the same thing - save the rtf as html, import the html to Calibre, and convert from there.

For the native rtf format problems, you should open a bug with a sample file at bugs.calibre-ebook.com.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
DigitALL

Yes, Idolse, it was my mistake considering that rtf should do it. I did what you suggested and now the display is correct.
Thank you all for your help.

On another note, since I have lots of pdf's with specific Romanian characters, I tried to find a program to convert to doc or whatever with not much success until recently. I am using now "ABBYY Fine Reader Express" that is using OCR (Optical character recognition) technology and it works just fine. This is a success case if someone is using a Mac.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
maxpax123
maxpax123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
romanian diacriticals Kindle

In order to convert a .rtf into mobi I follow this procedure. It works most of the times... I'll open the .rtf or.doc into world, then I'll save it as a web page. Once saved as a web page then do, right click and open it with Notepad. Delete the line referring to the character set (ex.:<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">). Then file, save as and, change the encoding to UTF8 (left of the save button), then save and replace the file. Open Calibre, drag the file, go to 'Convert Books" menu, then look and feel and change the input character encoding to UTF8. Click on convert and you should read the Romanian diacritical signs correctly, when you transfer it into your Kindle.
maxpax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Remus65
Remus65 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitALL View Post
Hello folks,

I have several Romanian books in PDF, doc and rtf format and I tried all options to convert them to mobi using Calibre. I have a Kindle 3.
The books are encoded correctly in the mentioned format and specific diacritics such as: ă, â, ț, î, ş are showing correctly but as soon as I convert them to mobi, I loose all of them. This is the case using a pdf or doc or rtf as a source.
I have tried each character encoding from "Input character encoding" option, even the iso_2022_jp with no luck.
As a reference, I already have a converted mobi romanian and in both, Kindle and Mac Kindle reader are displayed with the correct diacritics. What am I doing wrong, or would you suggest a different approach, please?
All you need is to convert .doc or .rtf files into .docx. Calibre can load any .docx file correctly with all Romanian diacritics. And the font is fine, exactly like in .docx file. Microsoft Office Word can convert .doc and .rtf into .docx.
Remus65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do you honestly think that the original poster cares, four years after asking the question? Please don't ignore the warning that the system gives you to tell you that you're posting to an old thread. It's there for a good reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #12
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
A new, good information cannot hurt.

While it's true it may not help the original OP (his last post in this forum was in 2011), it may help the others looking for a solution (eg from google).

It may help the forum (accent on may) as, if the solution is known, probably the number of people asking the same or similar will decrease, keeping the forum a bit cleaner. I am by nature inquirer, but when I see lots of noise in my queries I give up.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote