Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
joro
Avid Reader
joro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad, iPhone
Conversion speed

This is more a matter of curiosity , rather than a serious problem.

With my old, slow Pentium machine running Windows 7, it took an average of 20 seconds to convert a 450 page book.

Now I have a new quad core desktop with Windows 8.1 and a CPU twice as fast as the old one, it is taking an average of a minute and 40 seconds to convert the same size book. That's five time longer.

I can live with the extra 80 seconds, but I'm curious why Calibre, same version on both computers, would take so much longer on a faster machine. Is there a setting I don't know about that needs tweaking?
joro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The same size does not mean the same level of complexity. I would guess that the books you are converting on your new computer are more complex internally than the ones you converted on your old computer. It's quite normal that different books take different times to convert, even though the number of pages is similar.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
you have 3 cores left to do other stuff. Calibre does not use more than 1 core for a single task (eg 1 book converting). It is possible, that a second conversion would use another core.

My core Duo beats my P4 hands down.

You may need to tame your A/V, Indexing settings. Something is getting in the way of Calibre.

BTW My P4 is 32bit and the Core Duo is X64 (calibre)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
joro
Avid Reader
joro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchforkjoro can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad, iPhone
Thanks for your thoughts.

Just to make a less subjective comparison, I downloaded the same book to the old Win7 dual core, 4 GB RAM, and to my new 8.1 quadcore, 8 GB RAM. The conversion took 29 seconds on the Win7 and 112 seconds on the 8.1. (Same version of Calibre on both)

I'm not sure what to tame, but it's obvious a setting or two needs tweaking.
joro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joro View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

Just to make a less subjective comparison, I downloaded the same book to the old Win7 dual core, 4 GB RAM, and to my new 8.1 quadcore, 8 GB RAM. The conversion took 29 seconds on the Win7 and 112 seconds on the 8.1. (Same version of Calibre on both)

I'm not sure what to tame, but it's obvious a setting or two needs tweaking.
Sysinternals: Process Explorer (free at Microsoft)

There are 1000's of things that could be off (or spot on) that affect performance.
W7 includes Windows Experience Index (right-click My Computer: Properties: click the words next to the colored number for details)
you might note the number re-run. Does W8 have a similar benchmark?)
Old 07-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For a fair test, all calibre preferences have to match. Something like heuristics on or off makes a big difference..
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
For a fair test, all calibre preferences have to match. Something like heuristics on or off makes a big difference..
Great catch.

I typically copy the Config folder along with the Library to the new system, so all the same settings remain .