Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
dafire
dafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS505, Kindle DXi
Kindle DX is getting International Version.

There is a link to "Kindle DX Now with Global Wireless" on the amazon homepage.

I'm thinking about getting one then... I'm currently using a sony prs505 and have all books in calibre... should be possible to convert them for kindle then and upload them via usb, right ?
dafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We already knew that there would be an "International" Kindle DX during 2010, but Amazon haven't yet announced a release date for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafire View Post

I'm thinking about getting one then... I'm currently using a sony prs505 and have all books in calibre... should be possible to convert them for kindle then and upload them via usb, right ?
If the books are DRM-free, the answer is YES!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If amazon added note taking for pdf, and ePub support, then kindleDX might fit me.
These two facts totally kills it for me.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Are you sure about that?

I can see "Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (U.S. Wireless)" and "6" Kindle with global wireless", but no sign of a global DX.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
There is no such banner on my home page, but I did notice something intersting.

On the DX page, there is this message......

"Expected to ship in 2 to 3 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon Digital Services. Gift-wrap available.

6 used from $598.00
Order Kindle DX now to RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN LINE. We prioritize orders on a first come, first served basis."

Perhaps by the time its available, it will be the global version. Perhaps.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The International DX link went up - then was taken down. Perhaps a webmaster jumped the gun. Rumors of a press conference/announcement circulating.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Are you sure about that?

I can see "Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (U.S. Wireless)" and "6" Kindle with global wireless", but no sign of a global DX.
They have something about it at Engadget
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
There is no such banner on my home page, but I did notice something intersting.

On the DX page, there is this message......

"Expected to ship in 2 to 3 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon Digital Services. Gift-wrap available.

6 used from $598.00
Order Kindle DX now to RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN LINE. We prioritize orders on a first come, first served basis."

Perhaps by the time its available, it will be the global version. Perhaps.........

That's what happened with the K2 - backorders got shipped the International version? (My memory seems to remember this)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

If you're just planning to upload via USB, you don't need the international version. I'm doing this with my US version for 6 months already. Only can't use Whispernet here in Germany = directly purchasing on the reader from Amazon's webshop. I would need the international version for that. But only for that.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
That's what happened with the K2 - backorders got shipped the International version? (My memory seems to remember this)
exactly..........
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
I think i'm going to order the dx, but will wait to see if it drops in price (please?)...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
I think i'm going to order the dx, but will wait to see if it drops in price (please?)...
You can always wait for the "refurbished" to come along....same warranty, etc.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
dafire
dafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS505, Kindle DXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The International DX link went up - then was taken down. Perhaps a webmaster jumped the gun. Rumors of a press conference/announcement circulating.
heise (the news site I read it) expect that it will be announced on the CES (Jan. 7th)

Ok.. looks like I could do what I want with the us only thing (filling it with usb) but I guess I will wait at least if they announce it in the next two weeks
dafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
The link is back up now: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...pf_rd_i=507846
Note that it has a release date of Jan 19th and they're taking preorders now.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote