Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Zab
Zab began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
big battery problem with M92

I bought my device (M92 black pearl) in january 2013. I am very surprised to be obliged to charge the device about every two or theee days. It seems that sometimes it doesn’t enter into standby, though the power management menu is set to “3 minutes standby”, “5 minutes to shutdown”. It arose those last days whereas I was reading the same book (in epub format). Anyway, I thought that e-readers need energy only to turn pages, so when I don’t use it, it shouldn’t go flat. Has anybody encoubtered the same problem? When my son used it this summer, he turned it off every time he had finished to read. But when I'm in a metro, I don't have time to do it, I put the device in my bag and I go out!

Has anybody encountered similar problems?

Thank you

Iabelle
Zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab View Post
Anyway, I thought that e-readers need energy only to turn pages, so when I don’t use it, it shouldn’t go flat.
The SCREEN only uses power when you turn pages, but the M92 is a computer and, like any computer, the CPU, memory, etc, all use power when they are running.

I'm not familiar with the M92, but from what you say it has both "sleep" and "shutdown" modes. Try shutting it down when you finished reading - that should preserve the battery between reading sessions.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-30-2013 at 05:18 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Charging every three days is very often. Maybe there is something wrong with your power management. Try Harry's advice to shut down the reader manually or change the setting to five or ten minutes to shutdown (without the sleep mode) and compare if this will improve the battery life.

Last edited by Billi; 09-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Do you have Wifi turned on?
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Do you have Wifi turned on?
This was my question that I later deleted as an edit as I checked on my reader (i62) and didn't find a way to turn off the wifi. Maybe this is easily done on the M92, I don't know.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I do not know which firmware you have and if the bug described further is in your version of firmware or not.

There was, and maybe still is, power management problém in M92. If one choose the both standby and off options then M92 went to standby and at moment it should go to off went to on instead.

It is better to set only standby or off time. One of them, but not the both.

I use only standby and battery lasts weeks.

Even that is not 100% perfect. In my version of firmware M92 sometimes switches on by itself while in standby. I realized that because I have more than one screensaver pictures and they change while in standby, which indicates that M92 cycles on standby by itself.... Not a big problem for me.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
This was my question that I later deleted as an edit as I checked on my reader (i62) and didn't find a way to turn off the wifi. Maybe this is easily done on the M92, I don't know.
I don't have the device either but would be surprised if it is not possible to turn off WiFi. It is the biggest battery killer on any device, worse when you move out of range. If there is no setting for this, then that is a massive oversight.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't have the device either but would be surprised if it is not possible to turn off WiFi. It is the biggest battery killer on any device, worse when you move out of range. If there is no setting for this, then that is a massive oversight.
It would also mean that you couldn't take the device onto an aircraft. There's got to be a way to turn off WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
There is no WiFi On/Off on M92. It works this way. By default WiFi is off. When you start internet browser it starts WiFi. When you leave internet browser it asks you, if you want to switch off WiFi or not.

If you choose not (but generally there is no need for) then the only possibility to set it off is to start and terminate internet browser.

Linux geeks know the way to switch it on/off using some kind of script, but general user does not have this possibility.

I would guess the battery problém is not because of WiFi on, but because of power management bug.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
You could try the "OTFM" (file manager, somewhere here) to set the standby and/or off time delay.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Mono
Mono

Sure, OTFM is great for this task. The only think is, that IMO only one time should be set, either for off or for standby. The other setting shoul be set to none.

This is valid for, at least, certain firmwares. I do not know if for the latest one.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I haven't your experience, so you could be right for the problem with various firmwares. For the last firmware with all patchs, I use stand by and off time without problem, may be I'm lucky.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Mono
Mono

Might be, that it has been fixed in last firmware or even last but one. I do not have them installed, I wait for the next one.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Zab
Zab began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi all

Thank you for your replies. I have just tried the "5 minutes to shutdown" mode and it seems to work. However, will it be sufficient to save the battery? If the battery is made flat only with one or two reading hours, as I suspect, the problem will remain as before.

My firmware is 1.8 20130407 from https://onyx-boox.com/support/firmware/. As I already said somewhere in the forum I bought my device at https://onyx-boox.com and not at http://ereader-store.de. Thus, unfortunately, if I well understood, I cannot install the firmware updates of booxtor.

Zab

Last edited by Zab; 10-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
Mono
Mono

I use just standby, no off and the battery lasts several weeks I guess. I did not make precise measurements....

I recomend using OTFM filemanager for setting standby and/or off times. It gives more freedom than standard Onyx power management dialog.

I use setting 30 min standby, no off. Longer standby is more pleasani if one studies difficult page. It may také more than 5 min.

It is possible to free your ArtaTech device and install Booxstor's firmware. But you might void the garranty. The needed SW you'll find in this forum, might be even described in Wiki...