Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #706
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
People who owns a Digital Paper:

Can you download a PDF directly from the internet down to the device and read it?

Lets say the DPT-S1's manual found here:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-dig...product-DPTS1/
Or other that you can find in other website.

Thanks in advance.
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #707
skipper113
skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: DPT-S1
Just to let you know, I got mine through a Japanese reseller in Japan for $900. You should ask why the price is higher in the US.
skipper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #708
skipper113
skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantoM View Post
People who owns a Digital Paper:

Can you download a PDF directly from the internet down to the device and read it?

Lets say the DPT-S1's manual found here:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-dig...product-DPTS1/
Or other that you can find in other website.

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can directly download a PDF. What I do is to use Google Docs as a portal site for DPT-S1 to open, and then preview it in Google Docs and then press the print icon to start downloading.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #709
skipper113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrdx View Post
Likely, although I don't have it myself. I have a Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus and it works perfectly with DPT S1.
I can confirm that a thinkpad tablet 2 stylus works with the DPT-S1. The button functionality to toggle between writing and text selection of pdfs work too; the eraser button on the other tip does not work. I like the one that comes with DPT-S1 though, since it is softer and it doesn't make sounds when I write on the screen (most stylus points are plastic, and it makes clicking sound and possibly higher risk of scratching the plastic screen).
Old 05-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #710
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
Just to let you know, I got mine through a Japanese reseller in Japan for $900. You should ask why the price is higher in the US.
Great! Which site did you use, could we know?
Edit: Is it easy to handle with the menus in Japanese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
Yes you can directly download a PDF. What I do is to use Google Docs as a portal site for DPT-S1 to open, and then preview it in Google Docs and then press the print icon to start downloading.
That's good
But I don't know much about Google Docs, it works like a cloud, right? You can't access other sites trough it, isn't it?
What I'm wondering is if you can download from other sites as well (?).
Sorry if I didn't understand what you meant.

Last edited by FantoM; 05-21-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Advert
Old 05-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #711
tom2567
tom2567 began at the beginning.

Device: DPT - S1
Smile I just got mine.

I just got mine today, if you got any questions feel free to ask.
tom2567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #712
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2567 View Post
I just got mine today, if you got any questions feel free to ask.
I couldn't find any video on landscape mode yet, both for pdf and browser (that Screen Orientation icon behind Menu button).

Do you have to zoom-in on pdf or it is automatically zoomed to page-width in landscape mode?

Is it quick enough to scroll or pan through the page then, and does it remember zoomed level for the next page if we lower the zoom by pinching?

Last edited by markom; 05-22-2014 at 05:26 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #713
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Has anybody tried to flash the US firmware to a Japanese device?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #714
FantoM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Is it quick enough to scroll or pan through the page then, and does it remember zoomed level for the next page if we lower the zoom by pinching?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Has anybody tried to flash the US firmware to a Japanese device?
I would like to know these questions answered too
Old 05-26-2014, 02:17 AM   #715
kaiser s
kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Do you have to zoom-in on pdf or it is automatically zoomed to page-width in landscape mode?

It doesn't automatically zoom in to page-width in landscape mode, which I feel is just right as this would make text in most standard formats (even textbooks) too large to read comfortably. You have to zoom in as needed. Panning is quick and easy.

However, once zoomed in, you cannot flip to the next page. You have to zoom back out, turn the page, then readjust magnification as needed. This is true for both landscape and portrait modes. Thankfully I rarely find the need to zoom in as the size is just right for me even when reading mostly textbooks and scholarly journals. But hopefully this can still be changed in a future firmware update.

One thing I find annoying though is the inability to shrink the text (or zoom out) from standard view. Once you open a document, it automatically fits to either screen length or screen width, whichever maximum you hit first. This makes the text too magnified sometimes. For example, I've just loaded up a book that's originally 5.8 by 8.9 inches when printed. On the DPT-S1 in portrait mode, the page expands (or scales up) to approximately 7 by 10.625 inches, which is now too magnified for me to really want to read on. I have to remedy this by switching to landscape mode which scales the page down to 5.25 by 8 inches. I know there's a kindle for reading these smaller pdfs but I don't always want to carry both devices at the same time.

Fortunately this is not the case while browsing. You can adjust the default zoom settings to far, medium, or close. I just wish they implemented something similar for reading PDF.

All in all I'm still really positive about the device. Reading on this is lovely - quick page turns, nice contrast, crisp text, ability to open tabs and to annotate with a pen. The design is simple yet elegant, quite a head-turner in some cases. I bought this mainly for the ability to read textbooks and letter-sized PDFs on a paper-like screen, and I feel like this is the best one out there to date.
kaiser s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #716
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Thnx Kaiser on your clarification.

In the meantime untill firmware is upgraded you can use k2pdfopt in those cases when you want pdf to stay the same dimensions as original in portraite or landscape or if you don't want to zoom-out or in constantly or when you would maybe like a double page view in landscape mode etc.

Last edited by markom; 05-26-2014 at 07:02 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #717
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Hoping sooner or later someone is going to say "Yep, you can use an external keyboard & mouse and use it like a typewriter"
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #718
kaiser s
kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Thnx Kaiser on your clarification.

In the meantime untill firmware is upgraded you can use k2pdfopt in those cases when you want pdf to stay the same dimensions as original in portraite or landscape or if you don't want to zoom-out or in constantly or when you would maybe like a double page view in landscape mode etc.
Nice! I didn't know that. Thanks a lot, Markom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Hoping sooner or later someone is going to say "Yep, you can use an external keyboard & mouse and use it like a typewriter"
Crossing my fingers and patiently waiting! Typing on the touchscreen is quite poor. It tends to lag and some keystrokes fail to get recognized especially when you type fast. I'm also not much of a fan of writing on this device with the stylus. If you thought your handwriting is nice on real paper, be prepared for an ugly one on this digital version. And for owners with bad handwriting to begin with..
kaiser s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #719
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser s View Post
However, once zoomed in, you cannot flip to the next page. You have to zoom back out, turn the page, then readjust magnification as needed.
OMG! The Prs-650 did exactly the same thing. Sony still haven't fixed it
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #720
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
You need Android and blue-tooth for that. Get an Onyx (though it's currently only 9.7").
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote