Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
sasilk
Connoisseur
sasilk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12"; Kindle Paperwhite
Question A question - .mobi & .prc

This may be a dumb question, but I figure it's dumber not to ask :-)

What is the (practical) difference between a .mobi file and a .prc file?

And is there anything in particular I need to know to use whichever one on an iLiad v2 and/or a DR1000S?

Thanks!
sasilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The .mobi extension means that the file is a Mobipocket eBook.
The .PRC is in fact a Palm software application container. It can contain a MobiPocket eBook, but it can also contain totally unrelated things.
I think you can use both on your iRed devices, you just need to be sure that the .PRC is an eBook.

It's the same for .PDB format, which can contain eReader eBooks or simply be a Palm database container.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just writing this off the top of my head without looking it up.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
sasilk
Connoisseur
sasilk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12"; Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for that. For some reason the two seemed to be mentioned together a lot, so I thought they were connected in some way.

I'll try loading a .mobi file and see what happens.
sasilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasilk View Post
Thanks for that. For some reason the two seemed to be mentioned together a lot, so I thought they were connected in some way.

I'll try loading a .mobi file and see what happens.
You can rename any MobiPocket ".prc" file to ".mobi" and modern versions of the MobiPocket Reader will load it fine.

The only reason for the change of extension is, I think, because ".prc" is used by other types of file too, whereas ".mobi" is unique to MobiPocket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr1000s, iliad, mobi, prc