Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #91
Areinu
Enthusiast
Areinu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Yesterday when I was going to bed Onyx T68 had 98% power left, in the morning the battery was empty. I checked logs on WAD https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector and there was nothing wakelocking for more than few seconds total.

The battery usage on my T68 is now about the level I would expect, but "energy is gone after few hours" problems still happen randomly. I am looking for any kind of application that would help me figure out the root of the problem. All suggestions are welcome. I don't mind ads in my apps, but I don't want to pay for aps that might not fix my problem.
Areinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #92
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Purple Lady, How do you like the Boyue T62? Would you mind doing a review in the appropriate forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricArcadia View Post
You have the Boyue T62? Nice, can you set it up as you can with the T68? Such as having Nova launchers, and other launchers. I've attached how I have my T68 set up, would this be able to replicated on the T62, and how is using a SD card with the T62. As I think it has the Android update that makes it harder to use the SD card with devices that don't have the Android 4.4 update.
I just posted a review and comparison - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248702
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #93
Areinu
Enthusiast

After 10 days of testing I can say that the battery is still working... randomly. There are no bootloops, reboots etc. but first it lasted for 7 days before full discharge, and today it ran empty after 3 days. I read a lot of comics in both cases. No idea why it lasted only for 3 days second time...

Sometimes I read for 2 hours and the battery shows only 1% usage. Sometimes, like today in the morning I read for 15 minutes and 30% drops.

Even for comic reading I find 7 days of battery up-time to be pretty low, but acceptable. 3 days is not. If it was constantly giving me around 7 days it would be alright, but since it's random, with no apparent reason it makes the device very unreliable. WAD didn't detect anything. I'm still looking for suggestions on better apps to detect what could be draining my battery.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #94
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Yep, that's my conclusion too so far: stuff is random :|
I gave up trying to understand and fix ...
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #95
Areinu
Enthusiast

That's probably sound solution. I will just have to accept the fact that sometimes the device will decide to die on me randomly. Hopefully it won't happen more than once per month.
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #96
Areinu
Enthusiast

That's probably sound solution. I will just have to accept the fact that sometimes the device will decide to die on me randomly. Hopefully it won't happen more than once per month.

Edit: I just found funny bit of info on onyx boox page, in firmware section under T68:
Quote:
Important! Turn off your BOOX when you are not using it. Stand-by mode does not improve battery lasting.
Great! So now I officially know that stand-by mode doesn't do anything. They forgot to mention that on product page.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #97
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Lol, that is funny. Next thing will be: if you want the battery charge to last longer don't use the device !
Old 11-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #98
Areinu
Enthusiast

Well, yeah. They are advertising the device with "up to 8 weeks of uptime" with "approx. 30 minutes of reading per day". They just forgot to mention that it applies only if other 23h 30 minutes per day the device is turned off. That's almost 98% of time.

I wonder now - is it the battery that is very weak and we could improve it by getting better battery... Or is it software problem, and thus fixable by future update? Anyone knows how long Kobo Aura HD or H20 lasts with usage like above, but without turning off the device when not reading?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #99
dnastase
Addict

I think it's both: poor battery quality and unoptimized software.
I cannot give you numbers but the Kobo Aura HD was lasting a long time compared w/ the Lynx T68. However Kobo's OS is not as generic (ie: Android) as T68's. So it was much better optimized and was not doing too many things in background. Where Android (plus whatever apps one installs) does a lot ...
What I'm saying is that the comparison between a non-Android and an Android reader (from battery point of view) is not really fair.

Once I had put Android on Kobo Aura HD the battery life degraded a lot.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #100
Areinu
Enthusiast

I would have to agree and disagree. Android on Kobo is just a hack, made by some fans. It's not optimized. And why would it be? It's something someone did for free, in their free time. Android on Onyx is part of the product, that means someone got paid to make android run as smoothly and take as little of resources as possible.

Furthermore I find the comparison to be very fair for one single reason. This page https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...id4-bloetooth/ has nice comparison chart, when it shows off differences between T68 and Aura HD. Onyx claims their device lasts up to 8 weeks of use, just like Aura HD. If they can make this comparison then it means they feel it's fair.

So when comparing hacked android to non android device I would say the comparison is not fair. But when comparing pro android to non android device I would say it's fair. Especially when it's a promise made by device manufacturer.

Edit: actually it seems Aura HD has 3.7V, 1500mAh battery(based on wikipedia page, not sure if can be trusted), while the link above says Lynx T68 has 1700mAh Li-ION Polymer battery. So it's probably only up to the system.

Edit 2: the difference might also lie in the hardware itself. Aura uses processor developed for e-ink devices, while T68 uses general purpose processor for low energy devices. Dedicated solution might be better. Also who knows about other components used. Since the device can't go into real sleep mode I guess some of the components in T68 aren't best choice.

Last edited by Areinu; 11-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.