Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #61
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was charging (correction: attempting to charge) direct from a power strip, not from a computer.

I will try plugging it in to a different outlet, but fully expect it will simply proceed to a frozen "please charge" screen, as it did before ... and that that will be the bitter end. There's no way I'm sending this back to Germany a 3rd time.
I am sorry if this is too daft, but... doesn't this point to there simply being something wrong with either the charger or the cable? Have you tried charging it from a PC, possibly with a different cable?

As for PC sleeping, as far as I know, the 5v charge on USB connections is an always-on signal, so sleep mode should not make a difference (with the possibly exception of laptops that might turn themselves off).

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #62
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
is there generally a compatibiltiy issue with the different mains power system between China/Europe and USA/Canada?

In china is 220V with 50Hz, in Middle-Europe 230V with 50Hz, but USA/Canada got 110V with 60HZ ?

but it should be no difference with PC charging the M92

Last edited by Dolansky; 08-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #63
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
I'll try with a different cable today. And if that doesn't work, then I'll try charging it from the computer ... although I recall trying that months ago on my first round with this.

Last night I had it plugged into a different outlet (the same one I charge my tablet with) -- no effect. And the battery icon did show the little 'lightning bolt' while I had it plugged in ...

It's been at full charge both times I've gotten it back from the shop. I wish I knew what they were doing.

Maybe overnight isn't long enough? But shouldn't it have SOME effect?
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #64
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
It's been at full charge both times I've gotten it back from the shop. I wish I knew what they were doing.
They are probably using their own charger, again pointing to a possible issue with yours.

Quote:
Maybe overnight isn't long enough? But shouldn't it have SOME effect?
Compared to mine, long enough, for sure. Mine takes a few hours (approx. 2-3).

Cheers!
CJ
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #65
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
They are probably using their own charger, again pointing to a possible issue with yours.
Possibly, but (and I am not trying to be difficult) I was using a different charger (an Apple one) the first couple of rounds with this issue -- since the charger I received with the unit was an EU-specific one, I requested one that would work in the US. They duly sent it, and that's what I've been using on this latest round.

It seems that trying to charge this thing DRAINS the battery instead of FILLING IT UP, no matter what I do. If this is just me, and there is something I am doing not quite right, I have to say that no other piece of electronics I have ever had has been so EXPLETIVE DELETED particular about how, where, and when it got its juice.
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #66
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
It seems that trying to charge this thing DRAINS the battery instead of FILLING IT UP, no matter what I do.
I does seem weird. The only thing that I can think of that might cause this would be reverse polarity, but quite frankly, that is too far fetched.

You leave the reader turned off when you charge it?

Also - and really clutching at straws here - have you tried only charging in for, say, two hours (as opposed to overnight)? Just to see if there is a point where the charging 'goes into reverse'?

Cheers!
CJ
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #67
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:

Compared to mine, long enough, for sure. Mine takes a few hours (approx. 2-3).

Cheers!
CJ
Hi,

to be honest every device in service will be charged just by connecting it to the PC. Nothing special.

Concerning compatibility - during testing time I have used different USB adapters I have got and always it did work with my sample onyx.

I am really confused by the problem of Chexmix, since I cannot understand what could he do wrong. My only suggestion is, to try to replace the motherboard. When you have someone, who is a little bit experienced with soldering (quite easy procedure to resolder side buttons contact ribbon tape) I could send it for free to you.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #68
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

to be honest every device in service will be charged just by connecting it to the PC. Nothing special.

Concerning compatibility - during testing time I have used different USB adapters I have got and always it did work with my sample onyx.

I am really confused by the problem of Chexmix, since I cannot understand what could he do wrong. My only suggestion is, to try to replace the motherboard. When you have someone, who is a little bit experienced with soldering (quite easy procedure to resolder side buttons contact ribbon tape) I could send it for free to you.
I'm confused, too. Flummoxed, in fact. The M92 is plugged in to the computer right now. I'm tempted to unplug it and just use it for a while and see what happens -- maybe the battery indicator is just inaccurate? But I'm afraid it will just proceed to a frozen "please charge" screen as before. Then I'd be SOL.

I can easily connect to the device from this Linux box ... I don't know if there are any diagnostics I could run via that connection ...

When charging, should the device be on or off?

UPDATE: I briefly disconnected the unit, and I'm now at "Low Battery -- please charge."

/G

Last edited by chexmix; 08-05-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #69
chexmix
Zealot

It's been plugged into the computer all night long. When I turn it on, I see blue LED flashes beneath the orange. Battery icon reading 0. When I then unplug the charging cable, I get LOW BATTERY - PLEASE CHARGE.

Well, at least it isn't frozen on that screen. But this thing just won't work unplugged.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy a cheap 10" tablet and try to forget about this experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #70
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
But I'm afraid it will just proceed to a frozen "please charge" screen as before.
I am just speculating here, but I think that what you describe as frozen is actually off (as in, due to no battery).
Remember that you are dealing with an e-ink screen, i.e. it retains the last display until updated or cleared.

Quote:
When charging, should the device be on or off?
Off. But it shouldn't make that much of a difference. (Only the wifi, when on, drains it a bit faster.)

Quote:
UPDATE: I briefly disconnected the unit, and I'm now at "Low Battery -- please charge."
Well, something is going through, then... just not enough, it seems.

Here are my thoughts (for what they are worth):
* It can be charged when back for repair = it cannot be the unit itself that's faulty.
* Ditto for the battery itself. (EDIT: Unless the battery itself was changed for a new one during repair.)
* You now see the same - almost - behaviour from a PC as with the charger = it cannot be the charger.

It leaves, however unlikely, the cable itself.

Of course, there is no saying it cannot be two faulty steps (e.g. cable and charger), but...

You mentioned an Apple thingy; did you actually try the other way around, i.e. used the Onyx cable to charge the Apple? If my thinking is right, this should not work (as the cable is the issue).

Please note that I am in no way an expert on this, just a confused user like yourself. Logic, however, is another matter - as per above.

Cheers!
CJ

Last edited by CJY; 08-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #71
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
It leaves, however unlikely, the cable itself.
I really appreciate your logically working through this. For me the situation is kind of crazy-making, and where the M92 is concerned my logical faculties have deserted me.

It's almost as though my M92 works in Germany and not in the US!

Re: your remark about the cable ... I've tried more than one cable, too. Unless I am mistaken the cable that came back with the unit this time has a ferrite on it; the other one I've tried (which is the one I use to charge my tablet) does NOT have a ferrite. For whatever that factoid is worth. The US-compatible charger I was sent is a simple white cube with two prongs and a USB port in the back.

I just don't know what to do next. A 3rd cable? A witch doctor? Radiation therapy?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #72
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
I am just speculating here, but I think that what you describe as frozen is actually off (as in, due to no battery).
Remember that you are dealing with an e-ink screen, i.e. it retains the last display until updated or cleared.
I just took it out of the closet. The screen read "Low Battery, Please charge."

I plugged it into the computer. Screen stays unresponsive to: pressing the power button, hitting the reset in the back of the unit.

I'm back to exactly where I was before I sent it to Germany the last time. Exactly the same place. In-freaking-credible.

Out of hope,

Glenn
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #73
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
It's been plugged into the computer all night long. When I turn it on, I see blue LED flashes beneath the orange. Battery icon reading 0. When I then unplug the charging cable, I get LOW BATTERY - PLEASE CHARGE.
I just noticed this post; as far as I recall (from another thread somewhere), isn't this indicative of a faulty unit (as in a software error)?
Maybe Boxtoor can clarify?

But, if yes... I wonder what would happen if you tried updating the unit to the latest software, with it plugged into a power source. Would you actually get to see the 'searching for upgrade' message... or would it stay switched off?
(Again, I remind you that a 'fixed' image is not necessarily indicative of a frozen tablet, but could 'just' be that this was the last image to be displayed and there is not subsequently power to refresh/change that image.)

That is, if the blinking is a steady blinking... if not - i.e. it's 'flickering', could it be that the mini-USB connector has a loose connection?
I am sorry, but that is my last, somewhat desperate, suggestion... other than your suggested witch doctor.

CJ
Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #74
chexmix
Zealot

The LED blinking is 3(?) discrete blinks.

I've had it plugged into a power strip overnight again, using yet another, different cable. No result.

I'm sorry I've bored the forum with this for so long.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #75
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
The LED blinking is 3(?) discrete blinks.

I've had it plugged into a power strip overnight again, using yet another, different cable. No result.

I'm sorry I've bored the forum with this for so long.
And I am sorry that you have this experience, I feel your frustration.
I tend to get stubborn, though...

Did you try a force an upgrade on it? Is it at all possible?

CJ