Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #136
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I bought my current K4 locally at Staples, so when the occasion arises, I'll look in there to check it out. Failing that, I may order directly. I've only had my Kindle a month, so am not in a hurry, but it's nice to know I have options should I need to buy again.
Hubby ask me if I wanted one instead of the Paperwhite. I was not amused. He says I have to wait till my birthday but I haven't called my mom yet. So once I talk to her he'll cave in due to this competition thing they got going on.

I plan to get a KPW in October.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #137
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Paperwhite will be a no-brainer if they happen to open up Collections management to outside programs. If not, I'll stick with my Sony for my core reader. Managing books on the reader is a pain, especially when it has to be done again with each new product upgrade. But I really want a front lit eInk reader. The Nooks turned out to be fragile (bought 2, both broke) and as bad at book management as the Kindles but the light almost made it worth it and Amazon light tech is better than the Nook's.

I do want to get a tablet pretty soon. I'm on the fence as to whether I want a Fire HD or Fire 1 or even a Nexus 7. I'll be waiting until after the Apple announcement to see how the iPad mini is before I dig in and do the research to decide on that front but the Kindle HD looks to be the most likely, although I'll have to be able to root it easily and safely otherwise it'll be a Nexus as I don't want to be locked to whatever apps Amazon decides to let me have access to or having to dig around for a apk to sideload.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #138
jswinden
Nameless Being

Someone mentioned that it looked like the PW displayed book covers. That was on the shopping page, and the KT does that too. But the KT doesn't show covers in the Library. I hope the PW does, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm not sure why Amazon continues to avoid covers in Library view, but they have done so on all previous eInk readers to date.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #139
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The PW does show covers in library and archive view. It's in the video, Jeff shows it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #140
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The PW does show covers in library and archive view. It's in the video, Jeff shows it.
That is cool. I saw the video on Verge and that one didn't show the library view. Well it is about time they gave us covers in library view. All the competition did so a few years ago!
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #141
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is cool. I saw the video on Verge and that one didn't show the library view. Well it is about time they gave us covers in library view. All the competition did so a few years ago!
The entire video of the conference is on youtube....someone posted a link on mobilread somewhere, and I think I saw it on techcrunch, too.

I agree with you, I really wanted that feature. I hope it's customizable, like how many to display per grid.

Think of how useful that will be to perusing one's archives! Assuming doing so doesn't completely bog down the device. I'll be testing that out. My archive is 5153 at the moment.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #142
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hubby ask me if I wanted one instead of the Paperwhite. I was not amused. He says I have to wait till my birthday but I haven't called my mom yet. So once I talk to her he'll cave in due to this competition thing they got going on.

I plan to get a KPW in October.
Hehe

My birthday is in May, so maybe by then I will feel like buying a new e-reader. I am just delighted that e-ink readers are continuing to develop. I love my kindle.

I would be probably more attracted to the Kobo mini if it were not an almost identical interface/firmware design to the Kobo Touch. I dislike its current menu interface and the way things display on it. My husband has my old one, and continues to show me how it changes. But again, I'd have to reserve final judgment until I've played with a demo version in person. The fact that it's a touch model, given my current preferences, make me hesitate a wee bit on putting it on the wishlist.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #143
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes we get Covers. I wonder how Pdoc covers are going to play into this? It shows Cloud | Device option to switch back and forth instead of Archive Items. Reminds me of the KF shelves.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #144
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes we get Covers. I wonder how Pdoc covers are going to play into this? It shows Cloud | Device option to switch back and forth instead of Archive Items. Reminds me of the KF shelves.
That is how the K4iPad app works too--you can flip back and forth between Device and Cloud. You can side load to the iPad (Device) but you occasional wind up with a generic cover rather than the one that should be displayed.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #145
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
He says I have to wait till my birthday but I haven't called my mom yet. So once I talk to her he'll cave in due to this competition thing they got going on.
You are a clever woman.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-22-2014 at 12:34 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #146
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Well this is disappointing the $69 Kindle is the same as the $79 Kindle but it's has a Black bezel. No new anything. So unless you want it in black then there's no need to buy another one. It's not improved in anyway. It uses the same Firmware as the K4. *sigh* So I'll be getting only a Paperwhite.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #147
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
You are a clever woman.
You have to be when you are married to a man who doesn't like to spend money unless it's something he wants. He does have his generous moods but they are rare.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #148
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Does anyone know if we'll be able to customize what info appears at the bottom of the screen while reading? The various screenshots I've seen all seem to show different things, whether it's location, page, time left in the chapter, percentage, etc. I'm sure everyone has different opinions on which of those measures are most useful, so it would be nice to have the option.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #149
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well this is disappointing the $69 Kindle is the same as the $79 Kindle but it's has a Black bezel. No new anything. So unless you want it in black then there's no need to buy another one. It's not improved in anyway. It uses the same Firmware as the K4. *sigh* So I'll be getting only a Paperwhite.
Where are you seeing this?
I have zero interest in the entry level Kindle but not only did they mention improvements at the event, the order page states:

15% faster page turns
New darker, hand-tuned fonts for easier reading
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #150
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
More storage??? Faster processor (or controller)???
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote