Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I think I'm in love with Apprentice Alf

I now have library books on my Kindle..and it was relatively painless. Those of you who have Macs running either Leopard or Snow Leopard can do what I did..I believe it was in the blog sometime in November. Woot!!
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I now have library books on my Kindle..and it was relatively painless. Those of you who have Macs running either Leopard or Snow Leopard can do what I did..I believe it was in the blog sometime in November. Woot!!
awesome!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
chudleighval
chudleighval began at the beginning.

Device: sony
HELP

Hi can you please explain to me how you linked up with the library ? I will need the dummies guide ... sorry . At present I am in Australia but have an account with amazon.co.uk. I can download books fine but would love to be able to get library books
Many Thanks
Val
chudleighval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudleighval View Post
Hi can you please explain to me how you linked up with the library ? I will need the dummies guide ... sorry . At present I am in Australia but have an account with amazon.co.uk. I can download books fine but would love to be able to get library books
Many Thanks
Val
Google Apprentice Alf's blog- look for entries in November. I don't think people are supposed to specify on here. For the method I used, you need a Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I want to thank Alf too. I'm so thrilled that I can choose where to buy my eBooks and read from the library.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Same here and much kudos to this board as well for pointing me in the right direction. I have been reading library books on my Kindle for almost two years now. I download, work some magic and voila - library books on Kindle. Once the prescribed time allowed (usually 14 days) is complete, I delete the book from my Kindle forever.

It took some patchwork to figure things out but once I did, it opened up a whole new stream of books for me. Enjoy!

P.S. I love Apprentice Alf also
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
And PD and DD, too.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
And PD and DD, too.
Why, thank you. But don't forget KevinH as well (& some_updates, but I don't think he's on Mobileread).

And has everyone noticed the new version of the tools package that's just been posted? It looks like there are some nice enhancements and bug fixes in there, to make the de-drming even more painless.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Why, thank you. But don't forget KevinH as well (& some_updates, but I don't think he's on Mobileread).

And has everyone noticed the new version of the tools package that's just been posted? It looks like there are some nice enhancements and bug fixes in there, to make the de-drming even more painless.
How can it be any more painless? Is it going to massage my wrist and hand after the drag and drop?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
I have a few problems since I own a PowerPC and not an Intel Mac. However, I'll be buying an Intel Mac soon.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacomme View Post
I have a few problems since I own a PowerPC and not an Intel Mac. However, I'll be buying an Intel Mac soon.
With a pre-10.5 Mac you need to install a later version of python, and use the python scripts directly rather than the Applescript. It should still work, but takes a little more effort.

I think the plug-ins should work with the version of Calibre that works on Power PCs, although some of the meta-data might not get read correctly.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I must say the new app version of the tools totally kicks booty, so thanks to all concerned from me too!

The easier it becomes to massage the yuck out of the books that I buy, the less resistance I seem to be able to summon against buying even more.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How about for us mere mortals with PCs and Windows, is it also possible ?
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Let me add my gushing and sign up for my fan club membership number.

awww - I love you all!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadofun View Post
How about for us mere mortals with PCs and Windows, is it also possible ?
You are reduced to using the Calibre plug-ins, or having to choose the right tool depending on what kind of ebook you have. You might also need to install Active Python, and OpenSSL or PyCrypto for the stand-alone tools.

Until/unless someone writes something for Windows that's similar to Alf's AppleScript tool for Mac OS X 10.5/10.6.