Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
moriakaice
Memento Mori
moriakaice began at the beginning.

Device: eClicto, iPad WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi
Exclamation e-Devices test - I need volunteers!

If any of you was following my topic, you'll know I need help picking eBook device. So, I've decided to give it a try and test how various devices are displaying Polish fonts.

I've prepared a little pack with some examples of text with our lovely characters, just for the test. I've tried to get as many different formats as possible.

Now, I want YOU! to help me with the test! I'd like to kindly ask you to get those files, upload them on your favourite (and non-favourite too) eBook devices (Palms counts as well) and tell me if they display all the text just like it is in this PNG (also attached to the archive). If you can, along with your review how it was (was it displayed ok? If not, what was wrong?) please attach some photos (the best way to make screenshots on those little things :P) if you can.

There are some formats I couldn't get created ATM at my comp, so I've also brought some links (legal, see Wikipedia for reference):
"Pan Tadeusz" by Adam Mickiewicz - PRC format

Formats in my RAR package:
- TXT saved with: ANSI encoding, ISO Latin 2 encoding, UTF-8 encoding;
- DOC saved with: Times New Roman font, Arial font;
- RTF saved with: Times New Roman font, Arial font;
- PDF saved with: Times New Roman font, Arial font;

The archive [+ mirrors]:
RapidShare || MegaUpload || QuickSharing

I'm also open for suggestions which file type should I add to the archive.
moriakaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
Polish on EB-1150

I used the rtf file to create an imp file readable by EB-1150. The Polish text does not look too good. See for yourself the attached image. However, you can still read Polish or any other non-standard characters if you use a pdf file and PDFReader to create the imp file. But you won't have access to the search feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polish.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	3325  

Last edited by sputnik; 04-27-2007 at 09:21 PM.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Here are screenshots of the RTF (Arial) and UTF-8 files on a Nokia 770 using FBReader. Note that you choose the font (and many details about how the text appears on the screen) inside FBReader. Both versions are "reflowed" to some extent, but it appears that the RTF version has hard line breaks. FBReader does not have line breaking (i.e. splitting words across a line break with a hyphen) for Polish, so I turned this option off. If one of the existing line breaking options does not work, you can request a Polish version from the FBReader developers - who are usually good about adding such things. However, this is less necessary in the 770's standard landscape mode than if you rotated the screen (which is an option in FBReader). I did not test them, but the other .rft and .txt files probably also work.

FBReader will also read non-DRM MobiPocket books, but the .prc file you linked to is encrypted.

FBReader is also available for Windows and Linux Desktop (see fbreader.org), so you can try it out on a PC. The software and options are similar on all devices, but obviously the font choices depend on what is loaded onto the machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-770-RTF.png
Views:	640
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3342   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-770-UTF8.png
Views:	645
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	3343  

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-29-2007 at 12:23 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
moriakaice
Memento Mori
moriakaice began at the beginning.

Device: eClicto, iPad WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi
Sorry for a late update, I was a bit busy. On to the posts now...

Thanks for replies! I really like the quality of wallcraft's Nokia - esp. first screen. Really cool! And I didn't know that .prc was encrypted (hey, it should be free!) - sorry for that.

@Sputnik: WoW, that's undreadable one. I've tried creating IMP file with PDFRead 1.7, but I've got some errors:
Quote:
Command Line
============

"C:\Program Files\PDFRead\bin\pdfread" -p eb1150 -i pdf -t "Pan Tadeusz" -a "Ad
am Mickiewicz" -c "Poetry" -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Pulpit\eB
ookWise experiment\eb1150.imp" --optimize "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrat
or\Pulpit\eBookWise experiment\Arial.pdf"

Temporary directory: d:\temp\pdfread-zjzlu3

Page 1/1: EXTRACT RASTERIZE CROP DILATE SPLIT SAVE DONE

Creating IMP file ... failed, error details follow.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "output.pyo", line 128, in generate_imp
File "win32com\client\__init__.pyo", line 95, in Dispatch
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyo", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyo", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
com_error: (-2147221005, 'Nieprawid\xb3owy ci\xb9g klasy.', None, None)

Output directory: d:\temp\pdfread-zjzlu3
Dunno what have I done wrong But beacuse of that I wasn't able to attach IMP file...
moriakaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
download the latest version of Pdfread and try the path without spaces. Here's the imp file with the polish text. polish.imp If you create imp files from pdfs, you can read anything on an EB-1150, from polish to chinese. I'm quite happy with mine.

Last edited by sputnik; 05-05-2007 at 01:40 AM.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert