Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Funny how much changes in 2 years....what do you think???

Reading all the Hoopla on the new iPad that was released today, I remember 2 years ago when a lot of Readers particularly the Kindle and PRS-505 were being released, Steve Jobs remarking that e-book readers will never become big because people do not read anymore.

Now he is publicly challenging Publishers to lower the prices on Ebooks as he releases his device that is built not just for music, video, and gaming, but in a big way trying to insert Apple into the competitive Ebook and Electronic Newspaper market.

I personally prefer E-Ink, it dosen't tend to affect the eyes like my iPod Touch and Blackberry Storm do. I do hope this gets publishers more serious about pushing content electronically.

So a few questions.....

Do you think the iPad will open the market more with content?

Do you think the iPad will change the playing field of other Readers? IE. will it do to Ebook readers what the iPod did to the Walkman?

Will you be getting one?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As an ereader, I don't see myself getting an Ipad at this point because I enjoy reading off an e-ink display compared to a back-lit device. I haven't seen the Ipad first hand but I like the size and weight of current ereaders. I can read it with one hand like holding a book.

I would considered getting the Ipad as a tablet device but I'm not sure how well it functions in that regards. I believe the cheapest model is $499, so I would have to think about netbooks that are sold at that price. Would I get more bang for the buck with a netbook or this Ipad. I also see the Ipad coming out with a lot of accessories and docks and I think the final cost of the unit might be hefty.

I doubt I'll be getting one after the "new toy" feeling subsides.

Last edited by MerLock; 01-27-2010 at 04:05 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Great topic!

I believe the device will make ebooks more mainstream. Now, content is lacking severely, across categories, and there are too many device-specific formats.

I think the iPad will hasten the availability of color e-ink devices that are larger and cost the same as the ones available now.

It's a game changer in the sense that those in the market for netbooks (myself included) will definitely consider the iPad now. Particularly those with iPhone and iPod Touch familiarity. I think those who don't like anything Apple (those who insist on Windows Mobile / Android phones and Windows / Linux machines) won't be swayed.

I plan on getting the 2nd generation iPad (hopefully released at the end of the year). Not looking to replace my Sony Reader, just tired of lugging my MacBook Pro around just to do mundane tasks that a netbook can do. I always run Windows in the background on my laptop but it's only for access to Microsoft Outlook, Kindle for PC, and "unswindle". Current crop of netbooks aren't for me because they're Windows only machines.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

My only problem with this breaking into the netbook market is typing on it. you can't obviously thumb type, and if you are doing something with a lot of typing, you'd have to put it on a table that would sit low so you can see what your typing. Or spend probably another one to two hundred dollars for a keyboard for it.

I will be very interested in seeing how this develops. A lot of money to spend in a bad economy.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think it will be great for people who are more casual readers. I still need my Kindle for certain functions but I can see my Kindle becoming my more at-home serious reading device and an iPad becoming my main work device, replacing my netbook and iPod Touch. I am not a huge music person so I don't use my iPod Touch for that. I do use a netbook at school but would use this more and would enjoy not having to be plugged in all the time.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I will be very interested in seeing how this develops. A lot of money to spend in a bad economy.
This from a person who bought a Sony PRS-900!!!

Edit: And a $42 pouch
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This from a person who bought a Sony PRS-900!!!

Edit: And a $42 pouch
That was good....I meant generally of course lol
Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Heh heh someones got to contribute to the economy to make sure it dosen't COMPLETELY crash
Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Now he is publicly challenging Publishers to lower the prices on Ebooks as he releases his device that is built not just for music, video, and gaming, but in a big way trying to insert Apple into the competitive Ebook and Electronic Newspaper market.
I do hope this gets publishers more serious about pushing content electronically.
This is the part that I hope will be a game changer.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone on these forums that would actively choose a backlit screen over e-ink but the admission that the iBook app will be selling/reading ePub is something that may change the electronic publishing landscape. Who knows--assuming the iPad blocks the Kindle app as "duplicating functionality" (and you can transfer ePubs you already own to the iPad)--maybe it'll push AMZN to look hard at the Kindle format and their licensing terms.

Optimistic me says after another 2 years we may be looking at reasonably priced, open-licensed ePub stores all over the place. And that can only be a good thing.
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
I'd say the iPad could push electronic magazine and newspaper content, but probably won't do much for books. Let's give credit where credit is due. I think eReaders have already changed the landscape for books far before the iPad came along...
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Per your questions:

I am going to go with those on these Forums who believe the iPad will open up the market with more Periodical content - I am thinking of all the magazines which are struggling these days.

An awful lot of eReader Devices were announced at CES - no way all those are going to go to market now with Apple facing them at high noon.

This house has zero Apple devices. I own no smart phone and no laptop. Yes there is room for this device. Yes, the iPad has been marked as a definite purchase in 2010 for this household.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
So a few questions.....

Do you think the iPad will open the market more with content?

Do you think the iPad will change the playing field of other Readers? IE. will it do to Ebook readers what the iPod did to the Walkman?

Will you be getting one?
No, I don't think the Ipad will open the market with content. I don't believe in device specific book sites.

The ebooks were already changing before the Ipad was known. The earlier readers only could show books. These days, you have e-ink screen devices which have calendars, document editors, etc.

No, I won't be getting one. I like it even less than when I didn't know the specs. It's way too limited for a tablet in my opinion. I don't mind the LCD screen, as a matter of fact, I'm looking for a tablet like the Ipad. But I want it to run a full Win7 OS, and have at least a card reader (and the ability for multitasking... I mean, in this day and age, no multitasking????). The only thing I really like is the way it looks...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
Per your questions:

I am going to go with those on these Forums who believe the iPad will open up the market with more Periodical content - I am thinking of all the magazines which are struggling these days.

An awful lot of eReader Devices were announced at CES - no way all those are going to go to market now with Apple facing them at high noon.

This house has zero Apple devices. I own no smart phone and no laptop. Yes there is room for this device. Yes, the iPad has been marked as a definite purchase in 2010 for this household.
I don't know if I'd be so quick to label it a definite purchase, but it's one of the better things to come out in 2010 so far. Of course, it's January, and I have my fingers crossed that there were a few companies holding back announcements until after the Apple furor has cooled off. With the tremendous speculation that was going on for a while, it would be wise for companies to hold back a little bit to avoid being eclipsed outright.

My only hope for an Apple tablet was not that the tablet itself would be great, but that it would be a little bit of a catalyst for progress and development by being more attractive to the general public and to content providers than e-paper readers are.

I'd like an e-paper reader, but it needs to be much better than current E-Ink in both reading quality and in speed/usability. I suspect that while the iPad will mostly just nudge more "me too" makers to produce copycat tablets with LCDs, it may also encourage more adoption and development of better e-paper. Perhaps EPD developers will manage to make big improvements as Bridgestone and E-Ink claim, or perhaps EWD or Mirasol will start cutting in.

CES was rather depressing, but there may still be some hope yet for the rest of the year
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't mind the LCD screen, as a matter of fact, I'm looking for a tablet like the Ipad. But I want it to run a full Win7 OS, and have at least a card reader (and the ability for multitasking... I mean, in this day and age, no multitasking????). The only thing I really like is the way it looks...
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...-appeal-662849

The downside to having a full-blown OS is you have to wait for the OS to "come up to speed". It has been observed (I forget where I saw the article) that individuals with full OS's tend to go do something else for those 2 or 3 minutes - fill their water glass, start the morning's coffee, etc.

In any case sounds like HP will be selling the device you want, in 2010. HP staff claim the device has been in development for 5 years.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote