Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #106
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Do you need a nook to buy ebooks from B & N, specifically magazine subscriptions like Asimov's science fiction? With Amazon, they will only allow downloading magazines direct to the device, and not to Kindle reading software on your PC.
I need an answer to this as well. I have a Kobo and have been using Fictionwise specifically for buying both Asimov's and Analog magazines. Actually, I bought a Kobo expressly to be able to read those magazines as it has become near impossible to find them in UK newsagents...
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #107
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyplf View Post
ereader.com has all the books listed individually for download but no bulk download as far as I can tell and the option to download by entire orders has most of my orders missing. I haven't used the site since 2005, but still I paid for books and I want to back them up. Other thing I don't like about ereader.com is the fact that it uses a credit card as the unlock code and I don't remember the credit number from 2005!
Quote:
I tried downloading from ereader.com and to my surprise it then takes me back to fictionwise where I can bulk download.
On Fictionwise, login and select "Update Profile" (in the Profile box), then select Secure eReader Unlock Code and enter a new card name and number. Your secure eReader ebooks can now all be downloaded with the new number.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #108
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock
Do you need a nook to buy ebooks from B & N, specifically magazine subscriptions like Asimov's science fiction? With Amazon, they will only allow downloading magazines direct to the device, and not to Kindle reading software on your PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I need an answer to this as well. I have a Kobo and have been using Fictionwise specifically for buying both Asimov's and Analog magazines. Actually, I bought a Kobo expressly to be able to read those magazines as it has become near impossible to find them in UK newsagents...
Quote:

Overview -
Asimov's Science Fiction
Product Details

Pub. Date: November 2012
Publisher: Penny Publications
Sold By: PENNY PUBLICATIONS - EPERIODICAL
Format: NOOK Magazine (eMagazine)
Sales Rank: 16,773
Delivered: Monthly

Series: ePeriodical Series
BNID: 2940000281604
Available only in the U.S.
Language: English
Quote:

Overview -
Analog Science Fiction and Fact
Product Details

Pub. Date: November 2012
Publisher: Penny Publications
Sold By: PENNY PUBLICATIONS - EPERIODICAL
Format: NOOK Magazine (eMagazine)
Sales Rank: 20,124
Delivered: Monthly

Series: ePeriodical Series
BNID: 2940000281574
Available only in the U.S.
Language: English
This may be your answer.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #109
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Is OEBFF unique to the Rocket? If so then the files might not even exist anymore. They could have been stored on a server which went down when Rocket died.
I'm probably wrong about it being Rocket - I had that one, and the books were .rb format - which I still have but no way to do anything with them. This was the one sold by Fictionwise that was just like the Rocket, and the books were bought for it - my understanding is that is the DRM format used for them. I'm trying to get them from the Fictionwise site - all of the Rocket books were purchased from the Rocket site. The only reason I can say OEBFF is that the books on my bookshelf at Fictionwise actually say that as the format - Secure OEBFF.
Hmmm. Fictionwise is showing part of a "default ereader unlock code" that appears to include a credit card number. I suppose it is possible that somewhere in there I changed CCs and that is why the bulk download is not picking those up... I have NO idea how I'd figure out what that code was, if so.
I'm very disappointed in B&N execution of this - one gets the impression that most of one's books can be saved, but it certainly is not so.

LATER: No, those secure OEBFF books refuse to download. I did find some other unlock codes to use, but they don't download in bulk, and on the bookshelf there is no option to download. Says Secure OEBFF Download Enabled, but nothing to do to get it to download. Continuing to work on this...

STILL LATER: per some stuff mostly on old MR entries, this format is specific to the Fictionwise 1192 reader, should have a .imp extension, and (apparently) cannot be downloaded anywhere except to the reader that is linked to the account. Which reader is long gone, of course.

Last edited by rleguillow; 11-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #110
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Did a trial subscription to Asimov's, you need, a NOOK or NOOK For PC, Android, Etc. software to download. Will not let you do a direct download.

Now will have to reset my nook to change the password inorder to download my free trial.

bernie
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #111
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I found the UK nook site here

http://uk.nook.com/store/books

It might be the reason UK residents get to keep the bookshelf for longer is because the UK site isn't ready yet for us to transfer, that maybe why we haven't had emails yet.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #112
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
B&N did not destroy Fictionwise. Apple with the help of the agency publishers helped to destroy Fictionwise. Even though B&N bought Fictionwise, the business model that Fictionwise used before agency was not viable. So because of this, they could not really compete. It's a shame that Apple and the others took down a really good eBook store in their attempts to derail Amazon.
Jon, FW started going downhill long before the agency debacle took place. FW stopped selling agency books before any of us ever heard of it taking place. B&N didn't want the competition from FW especially since FW prices were a lot better than B&N.

Last edited by cfrizz; 11-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #113
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Did a trial subscription to Asimov's, you need, a NOOK or NOOK For PC, Android, Etc. software to download. Will not let you do a direct download.

Now will have to reset my nook to change the password inorder to download my free trial.

bernie
Are they DRM'd? Are they standard EPUB? i.e. Can you make them readable on other readers?
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #114
gbm
Wizard

Quote:

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Are they DRM'd? Are they standard EPUB? i.e. Can you make them readable on other readers?
Do not know--but since you need Nook for PC or a NOOK then they most likely are. Not going to boot up in windows and download Nook for PC to check.

bernie
Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #115
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Nook does use DRM but since Adobe Digital Editions now supports it I would think it'd be possible to side load onto Kobos and Sonys? I don't have any with which to check though unfortunately.

Last edited by lfeuln; 11-17-2012 at 11:23 AM.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #116
ladyplf
ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm,pocketpc,nextbook 7
I'm curious, did everyone who got the email have an ereader.com account or a fictionwise account? Does anybody have both and have both accounts transfer over to B&N at the same time?

Why does this have to be so complicated? Certain formats that have died can't transfer and can't be downloaded? Right now ebooks are looking like a bad investment. If they really cared about their customers they'd send everyone a backup of their files on dvd or give them cloud access. This hurry up and grab em attitude is stupid.

And how long will B&N be around anyway, I've never shopped at that site and am not about to start now.
ladyplf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #117
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Some of us haven't even got letters yet.......
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #118
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:

bernie
That's disappointing. I've bought and downloaded a few ebooks from B&N in the past without having a Nook. I do have an older Pandigital Novel with Nook capabilities, but I never use it as an ereader -- although I suppose it would make good cover, if I needed it.

I've always just downloaded to my computer, Windows and Linux both work(ed) fine, and cleansed the files for my JetBook Lite. Never had a problem, and it did send a few dollars their way.

I'm disappointed to hear the magazines are being treated differently.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #119
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I have accounts at both Fictionwise and eReader and also at BN. Yesterday morning I replied to the Fictionwise email and chose to have my books sent to my BN account. Download was immediate and I thought "wow, they really know what they are doing". When the download stopped at 54 books (out of 888), I wasn't as impressed but thought I'd just be patient. Yesterday evening I received the eReader email and when I responded I got the reply that I would receive the BN email and code on Nov. 19.

As of this afternoon no additional books have been added to my BN account. The 54 added yesterday are all multi-format. Several are actually "new freebies". They have the same titles as books in my Fictionwise account that I bought, but are not by the same authors. I downloaded them from BN to see if they were, in fact, different books. One of the 54 books appears to be from my eReader account. Several books are ones that had been archived in the past and not available on my account the last time I downloaded my bookshelf a couple of years ago. Two of the 54 are audio books. None are drmed .Lit, secure mobipocket or secure ereader.

Thanks to Calibre and the Great Apprentice, I'm not stressing about this and am simply following it for entertainment. Time to send karma or hit the Paypal button to show appreciation.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #120
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
I bought books from BN before I had a Nook, as I consider their delivery of files the only acceptable compromise if it must have DRM. I.e., I would purchase a book, and then download it directly to my desktop via the browser, and then disinfect it.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote