Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Walkmancho
Walkmancho began at the beginning.

Device: Reader Daily
New Kindle DX Vs. Sony reader daily edition

Well, I got the daily as a grad present, but them I really didn't like the lack of contrast and glare in the screen. So, today I saw that Amazon is releasing the New Kindle DX. I think it's pretty hot, and the price difference is only $60 so I can return the Reader and buy a new Kindle. I'm looking forward to use it in college as to read textbooks and all kind of stuff. what u guys think. is this smart? should II do it or not?

Last edited by Walkmancho; 07-01-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Walkmancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
doooo eeeeet
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I personally wouldn't. The new Kindle DX still doesn't support ePub.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkmancho View Post
Well, I got the daily as a grad present, but them I really didn't like the lack of contrast and glare in the screen. So, today I saw that Amazon is releasing the New Kindle DX. I think it's pretty hot, and the price difference is only $60 so I can return the Reader and buy a new Kindle. I'm looking forward to use it in college as to read textbooks and all kind of stuff. what u guys think. is this smart? should II do it or not?
I like both Kindles - but only for casual reads.
I wouldn't use either of these for "professional" documents.
Usually (just my guess) your textbooks will be PDFs.
a.) Kindles only offer very basic PDF-functionality.
b.) Notes and annotations on both Kindles are solved very nicely. But I find myself preferring those functions on touchscreen units. For example, I prefer scribbling directly within the text - like I would do it on paper.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am really excited with the new release of the DX.
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
The new DX looks hot!

I would get it, but then again I don't read a lot of textbooks. mgmueller has a point.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
From the first time I used my Sony PRS-505, typical of the current vizplex screens, I thought it was way too dark. Yet I've only read one other person complaining of this.

So for me, I'd go for the new DX. Yeah, I'd miss the scribbled notes, but contrast is big for me.

It's all so personal. Some just hate certain button placement. Others hate glare. Still others hate plastic and weight. And then there's size preferences. Others love full touch or ePub capabilities, or the supported ebook store. If you could figure out what bothers you the most and what pleases you the most ...

If you don't mind too much the bother of the cycle of packaging and returning, you could do that. Return the 900. Utilize the Amazon 30-day return. If you don't like it sufficiently more than the 900, maybe Sony will have a new touch device with the 10:1 contrast ratio by then.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Looking at the files format Kindle recognized make me laugh at how puny the list is.

Documents: Kindle (.AZW, .AZW1). Text (.TXT), Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)
Audible: Audible (.AA, .AAX)
Music: MP3 (.MP3)

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 07-02-2010 at 12:35 AM.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Two points that nobody has mention yet:

Sony PRS900 isn't that great with PDFs either. For example it doesn't remember zoom settings from previous pages..

There will probably be a new Sony reader out soon with the new screen as well.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Looking at the files format Kindle recognized make me laugh at how puny the list is.

Documents: Kindle (.AZW, .AZW1). Text (.TXT), Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)
If they just added epub, I think that would be enough.

Cmon, it's an eReader, not a netbook. How many formats do you need to read text on a screen anyway?
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
If they just added epub, I think that would be enough.

Cmon, it's an eReader, not a netbook. How many formats do you need to read text on a screen anyway?
It depends where you get your books. Most of my books are in fb2 or fb2.zip
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:

You can also add html to that list (provided that the extension is changed to .txt)
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
Quote:
Are Overdrive library .MOBI files considered protected? All of my ebooks are from Amazon, and I would prefer not to have to purchase 2 ereaders, with one dedicated only to .EPUB library books.
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
Are Overdrive library .MOBI files considered protected? All of my ebooks are from Amazon, and I would prefer not to have to purchase 2 ereaders, with one dedicated only to .EPUB library books.
The Kindle will not handle Overdrive library books of any kind while the 900 will handle the ePub & PDF library books. But I do not recommend PDF at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle will not handle Overdrive library books of any kind while the 900 will handle the ePub & PDF library books. But I do not recommend PDF at all.
This is incorrect. The Kindle can read DRMed Mobipocket ebooks from overdrive. You just have to run them through the kindleizer script first.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, sony reader daily edition