Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
tjhoult
tjhoult began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 600
Help needed on fast usb charging question

Hi all,

Still love my prs 600, but have one concern (not really a problem).

I have now charged the device twice, both through the usb socket on my netbook. The thing is, it has charged both times significantly quicker than i believe it should.

I understand it is supposed to take about 4 hours, but mine has taken around 2 hours the first time, and less than 3 hours the second time. Although the the device wasn't out of power when i started charging, it was at least 500 turns past the low power stage. I've charged it until the red light goes off, and the reader shows 4 bars of battery life.

Is it fully charged? Why does it charge so quickly?

I know nothing about computers, but was surprised to learn that on my new netbook I can charge through the usb even when the computer itself is off. Is this new technology? If so, might that be the reason for the fast charge time? More direct power, perhaps?

Thanks for any advice.
tjhoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I would assume if it is showing full charge, and you are getting a good amount of battery life, that it is fine. Is the battery lasting a good while between charges?

There is no doubt some computers are better at charging than others....... As far as charging when off, first of all be sure that is in fact happening..... And yes, some computers now can charge via USB even when off. My Toshiba does it, but I just don't trust it and have a regular AC adapter (PSP charger) for charging.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
tjhoult

The battery from the first charge was so-so. But then I was getting used to it, touch-screening a LOT, switching books and making notes just to check it out, and i've not actually switched it off. However, the first charge or two are expected to be a bit less than optimal, right? I think now t's run down and charged back up, it should be fine, provided it has fully charged in the first place.

The red light was on, then went off after around 2 hours, so i think it's fully charged. It just happens much, much quicker than Sony say it should.

Does anyone else find this?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think you are probably normal. Mine can go from half the battery used units to full in <2 hours.

On my 505, I can go from a full battery drain dead to red charging light in 2 hours. Then another 2 hours to fully charged. (NOTE: After an hour, pull the plug and re-plug it. The red light will not come on until you do that. It is OK for mine to just yank the USB cable and then reconnect it after your reader settles down and restarts. Dunno why, but the red light is comforting when you think it is dead, it's your reader's little red heart.)

I know, I know, it won't charge from dead on a USB on my laptop. But it does, not probs. I don't even own a wall charger. Whatever.

HarryT is the reigning battery expert, and he says the battery is not like the old timey rechargeables that needed to drain before recharging. It is OK to recharge often, so just plug it in whenever you are near your computer.

BTW, trust me, when you really get into converting and customizing and downloading and stuff, you will end up plugging it in frequently all the time just from regular tinkering.

Meanwhile, congratulations on choosing such a great device and have fun exploring all of the ebooks out there!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What I find with my 600 is that USB charging doesn't really charge it all the way. That is, I connect to USB, and charge until the light goes out. But then, if I connect it to my PSP charger, it charges a significant amount more (and definitely lasts longer).

Charging with a PSP charger is, in my experience, a lot more reliable than with USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I recall the minimum charging standard for powered USB is 100 milliamps but I don't think the bus is required to be that anemic. Maybe your USB port has more current available.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
tjhoult

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I recall the minimum charging standard for powered USB is 100 milliamps but I don't think the bus is required to be that anemic. Maybe your USB port has more current available.
Max over USB is 500mA under the spec. The AC adapter provides 2000mA.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote