Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Should ePub be the ONLY Ebook Format?

Sorry for the leading title....

EPUB sure seems to be catching hold as the defacto ebook reader format. It seems to be catching momentum for almost ALL the readers. I might have clapped my hands a few weeks ago, but now, I am not so sure. I've actuall read a couple books in EPUB format, and I have to say, I much prefer LRF on my Sony 505.

A couple points I don't like is the page numbers! I've read a couple other threads here, and think I understand why it is the way it is, but I still don't like it. I also can't seem to figure out how to change the font. It is VERY hard for me to read when compared to the font used in the LRF format.

If someone would like to give me a hint on how to fix either one of these, I might be lured back to using EPUB, but for now, I am solidly back to LRF, and am considering the Sony 300 over the Pocket Pro just to be able to keep LRF!

Thanksfully, Calibre handles them BOTH just fine.
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
be careful about confusing the format (epub) with the rendering engine (adobe). the things you mention disliking are due to the way sony uses the adobe renderer to display the files, not the files themselves, nor the format. for example on the cybook opus, i believe the page numbers are not displayed in the side margins.

having said that, to answer your question, i don't believe epub should be the *only* format (although i do believe it should be supported universally, meaning every device should be able to read it, and every book should be available in it). there are times when a simple .txt file is good enough, anything more would be overkill. there are some layout options which work better in pdf (for the moment, at least). i am glad to have epub as a standard format and it's the format i prefer, but that doesn't mean other formats should necessarily disappear.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
A couple points I don't like is the page numbers! I've read a couple other threads here, and think I understand why it is the way it is, but I still don't like it.
There is much controversy between those who hail the possibilities of EPUB and those who complain about actual implementations.

Quote:
Thanksfully, Calibre handles them BOTH just fine.
I wish it were so. Unfortunately, LRF output is not being developed anymore, despite several serious bugs in the current implementation. I can understand that as a developer - there really is little point in polishing something that's used by minority of users and is likely to die out soon. As a user who finds EPUB far less usable on his reader than LRF, I am not at all happy about this state, though :-(
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think that Kovid has said that bugs in the LRF output will NOT be fixed - just that they are now seen as lower priority.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
To be precise LRF output is now in maintenance mode. While I will try to fix regressions, changes in the fundamental behavior/new features will no longer happen. I just have absolutely no motivation to care about the LRF format any more.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do hope the font size issues in conversion to LRF in 0.6.x get fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well if we had ONE format, ePub should be it and then we would not have this awful tower of eBable to deal with.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
ePub as a format says nothing about DRM. Major publishers are going to want DRM (at this time, at least), and nothing says that different publishers or retailers cannot use different DRM schemes. Then you are back to the same problems as multiple formats.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know if it should be ePub but I think there needs to be an MP3 for the eBook world
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Should ePub be the ONLY Ebook Format?

No.

Epub has a high hardware demand when compared to eReader, MSReader, or Mobipocket. Basically your proposal involves discarding a vast number of functional reading devices.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Considering its not even fully functional (Dictionaries, anyone?): heck, no!
MS had added nothing to LIT in five years and its still more functional than ePUB.
Maybe in ten years.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No.

Epub has a high hardware demand when compared to eReader, MSReader, or Mobipocket. Basically your proposal involves discarding a vast number of functional reading devices.
And that's a bad thing to start over and do it right?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Sometimes I wonder about the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) I think EPUB is vastly over-engineered for it's purpose. But then again, I want something I fix with a flint rock. (I.E. Drop into a simple, common, and free word processor without going through extracts and rebuilds to fix a typo....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, ePub is the only eBook format that when sans DRM, can be fixed/edited with a text editor without having to then be decompiled and then recompiled.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, ePub is the only eBook format that when sans DRM, can be fixed/edited with a text editor without having to then be decompiled and then recompiled.
HTML? RTF?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote