Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
TooMuchWood
TooMuchWood began at the beginning.

Device: none
returned 700 for 505

I waited a few weeks for the 700. In the store, I took it out to compare with their display model. The difference in screen quality was too much for me. I really wanted to like the 700; as an academic, the search function is very important to me.

Any chance they'll get it all right on the next model?
TooMuchWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Having to combine an e-ink display with a touch screen probably caused Sony to have make some compromises. Although there is no current news on any up and coming sony ereaders so we're just going to have to wait and see.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
Didn't I read about some touch technology that can be put at the back of the LCD sandwich? Then you could have a touch screen with the clarity of the 505. The 700's clarity might be compromised by the side lighting too, which might add another layer to the screen.

Is Sony working on a model 705? Is the 705 to be the next model?
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
"...Is Sony working on a model 705? Is the 705 to be the next model?..."
no 705 or 706. With sony laying off 16,000 employees, be lucky
we have the 700. The last thing they would do is kill the 700
production line with a "705" series this early in the game.

IMHO, the next reader (if any) would be a new series (ie. 800) and will probably
have enough enhancements and changes to warrant mass production.
Perhaps Text2Speach or 16Greyscale video or even color eInk.

Until then, you can wait and watch others enjoy their 700 and live
vicariously. Or join the club and live dangerously by being on the
bleeding edge of technology.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchWood View Post
as an academic, the search function is very important to me.
get a kindle. sorry you didnt like the 700.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
macthekitten
Enthusiast
macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS700
hmmm what am i missing? My parents have the 505 and the 700 blows it out of the water! If my staying up to read til 2 a.m. every night since i got the damn thing is anything to go by LOL

But I'm just reading regular books, not text books or tech things, maybe that's why?

Turning the page with a swipe of your finger has to be worth it??? heh
macthekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by macthekitten View Post
hmmm what am i missing? My parents have the 505 and the 700 blows it out of the water!
You are not missing anything. Isn't it nice that we are all unique. Some like what others don't. Good to hear you are enjoying ereading. I love your beautiful smile.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
get a kindle. sorry you didnt like the 700.
I kind of have to agree with that. If search is really important to you, and you don't like the 700, the Kindle is a good option. Nice, clear screen, and it's always had a search function. It was the one thing I envied on my friend's Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macthekitten View Post
Turning the page with a swipe of your finger has to be worth it??? heh
Not for some of us. Nope.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You are not missing anything. Isn't it nice that we are all unique. Some like what others don't. Good to hear you are enjoying ereading. I love your beautiful smile.

BOb
Yeah, we're all unique. Just like everyone else.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Forward Looking Statements... Despite mass layoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
no 705 or 706. With sony laying off 16,000 employees, be lucky
we have the 700. The last thing they would do is kill the 700
production line with a "705" series this early in the game.

IMHO, the next reader (if any) would be a new series (ie. 800) and will probably
have enough enhancements and changes to warrant mass production....."
Looks like those 'enhancements' to justify production will be
Wireless download connectivity a la kindle. No word on 2nd gen
touch screen or or greyscale motion etc.

Sony will introduce a newer Reader series
model in '09

"...Amazon and Sony are expected to introduce a new version of thier
Readers in 2009..."

Steve Haber, President of Sony’s digital reading division:

"future versions of the Reader (PRS) WILL have wireless capability...."

LINK
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
color screens too....oh boy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote