Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Automated dump of Gutenberg in torrent format, 11,000+ books in 7.4 Gb

Hi all,

I stumbled over FangornUK's Gutenberg2lrf converter a while ago, and I was really happy with the end-results - proper chapters, images, text formatting.

So I automated it to pull in and convert most of the Gutenberg Project's HTML files (and of course TXT when in a pinch). Then I loaded the whole mess into Calibre, cleaned it up a little, stripped various magazines and journals and multi-volume histories, added a sprinkling of creative commons SF, and exported it before publishing it as a torrent.

Over 11,000 books and some 7,4 Gb in total, various languages, and as far as I know, legal to download in most countries (in a nutshell, if reading Gutenberg books is legal for you, this torrent should be legal too). I might make a second torrent to pick up the books I missed.

LINKS DELETED.

I checked the forums and this seemed to be the most appropriate place for this post, although technically not an upload. Apologies if I should have posted this somewhere else.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting, as far as I know you're now the largest scale user of calibre. How did it perform with that many books?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Wow that is a huge effort. I think you might want to contact Project Gutenberg and see if they would like to host the individual files. They are broadening their supported formats.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Interesting, as far as I know you're now the largest scale user of calibre. How did it perform with that many books?
Hi Kovid, and thanks for your awesome software. But to be frank, I have been wishing for a MySQL backend these last few days

I'm on a decent core duo system with around 2 Gb of RAM. Opening, working with, and reading works fine, as does editing the metadata of a single file.

Sorting by name/author/date and editing the metadata of a group (which causes a re-sort I think) causes the program to 'hang' for about 1 to 2 minutes.

Other than that it is very stable. I've have experienced no real crashes with this load.

The torrent is alive! I just need some people to step up and start peering/seeding

@Dale: it was not such a big effort, couple of days to pull everything in and a couple of days to sort and select and rename. I could send them a ping I suppose.

Last edited by acidzebra; 07-20-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Question: Did you go through and remove the items that are under copyright? A number of the translated works on PG are under copyright; you need the author's permission to distribute them in a torrent.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Question: Did you go through and remove the items that are under copyright? A number of the translated works on PG are under copyright; you need the author's permission to distribute them in a torrent.
When you say "translated works", do you mean "translated from" or "translated to" English? In the first case I'm okay, in the second I might have a lot of emails to write.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
You may want to look at the official CD/DVD distribution from PG... they are released under a CC that allows sharing:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...nd_DVD_Project

My guess is that they've already sorted out those works that are not OK to be distributed.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Both to and from English. Any translated work has its own copyright that is completely separate from the original copyright. Even if the original is in the public domain, the translated work is not.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Both to and from English. Any translated work has its own copyright that is completely separate from the original copyright. Even if the original is in the public domain, the translated work is not.
The translated work may not be -- depending on the date when the translation was published.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
acidzebra Can you please delete the torrent you've create and remake it without using RAR? For torrents, there is no need for RAR. Just torrent the books as is without RAR. Once you do that, I'll gladly jump on the torrent and help seed once I download it all. But as it stands, in order for me to do that, I'd need to waste twice the space. Once for the RAR files, and once for the unRARed eBooks. So please fix up this torrent. RAR inside a torrent is just a mess.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

With all due respect, there is nothing to "fix up".

Compressed with rar : 7.44 Gb
Uncompressed on disk: 8,70 Gb
Saved bandwidth per complete copy transferred: 1.26 Gb, and I hope to distribute a lot of copies.

If you can't spare 8 Gb, then don't download it. For me, bandwidth is a scarcer resource than disk space right now.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad to hear it. Yeah MySQL would have been faster but it would have made calibre much harder to distribute and deploy.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Really great 'distribution'! That makes it so much easier, I hate the original formatting on PG. I'm now downloading (at the snail-est pace) and will gladly seed it, like, a month from now when it's done
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
chuckSF
chuckSF began at the beginning.

Device: deciding between Sony & Kindle
Verifying the torrent

I finished downloading the 32 rar files and unfortunately one had a bad cluster which the Windows disk utility fixed (I think it was file 11). In addition files 31 and 32 appear to be empty. How many files are archived? How many bytes should file 32 be?

Thanks,
Chuck
chuckSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #15
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

chuckSF, your disk drive has bad clusters - files don't. I just extracted everything and it works fine. It sounds like the disk utility fixed your drive by destroying some information.

The last file should be 59,1 Mb. I recommend you re-download at least the last two files and find out whether part 11 was indeed corrupted and re-download that, too.