Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Smile Duplicate list when adding books change wished for

Perhaps this should be directed to kovidgoyal.

Once again I am adding a large number of books to calibre (3000+).

The notice that duplicate is found with the title/authors shown has appeared as expected. My problem is how do I know the one that is found is a good format?

I would like very much to be able to at the least be able to copy this list to clipboard to be able to "do an eyes on compare" with each book .

Is there any chance this would be a feature in an upcoming version?
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Perhaps this should be directed to kovidgoyal.

Once again I am adding a large number of books to calibre (3000+).

The notice that duplicate is found with the title/authors shown has appeared as expected. My problem is how do I know the one that is found is a good format?

I would like very much to be able to at the least be able to copy this list to clipboard to be able to "do an eyes on compare" with each book .

Is there any chance this would be a feature in an upcoming version?
Select all:
Bulk Metadata Edit: Add Tag:No Stink'n Dups Allowed
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
With that many books I would add them to a temporary library, and then use the Library Duplicates feature of the Find Duplicates PI.

From there its pretty simple to move the non duplicates to your target library. The books that are left are the duplicates - if you want a list then you can create a catalogue.

Then its pretty simple to do the eyeballing, you'll have to drive one 'viewer' from your file manager.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks BetterRed, I've tried the duplicate library but that tended to get messy. Not being able to run two instances of calibre makes it difficult to check the two libraries so it ends up with more duplicates on the system than having them in the same library.

It is just, often when you get a popup there is the option to copy the info in that popup to a text file.

That is what I would love to see on the "duplicates" popup when adding books.

It would then be a simple matter of putting that list in an editor and looking at each book that is on the list.

A simple, "copy to clipboard" button. or maybe it isn't that simple??
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Select all:
Bulk Metadata Edit: Add Tag:No Stink'n Dups Allowed
ummmm, the problem is once the books are added, there is not an easy way to see the ones that are on the initial dup list, and I have yet to see a way to add a tag to these files on adding.

If there was a way to mark the files in a tag or column it would be easy.
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
ummmm, the problem is once the books are added, there is not an easy way to see the ones that are on the initial dup list, and I have yet to see a way to add a tag to these files on adding.

Sorry, I was thinking of the Find Duplicates PI
That can return the results as Marks in the Library (A green search "Marked... results)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could add the books with Add Books Preferences Automerge OFF, and ignore the message from add books, then run Find Duplicates and deal with duplicates by eyeballing and discarding, merging etc

Better than a list would be option to add a tag to duplicate books, then you can pop them in a Virtual Library, a Reading List or a Saved Search to resolve at your leisure

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-09-2014 at 11:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
You can tell Calibre to add a tag(s) when adding a new book. I personally use a tag of [TODO] to indicate books that I need to look at to check their metadata.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You can tell Calibre to add a tag(s) when adding a new book. I personally use a tag of [TODO] to indicate books that I need to look at to check their metadata.
That was the initial suggestion. The response was:
Quote:

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
LadyKate
Fanatic

Maybe it will go faster now. I bit the bullet and finally cleared or marked as ignored all the duplicates (ummm over 4000 dups I had to clear up. Took hours to clean it but now is done lol) so perhaps will be easier to deal with the new dups
Old 01-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
the easiest way I have found is to make a new library, import all the books.
Then run the duplicate check and type not in front of the result in the search bar. (gives you the ones that aren't dups.)
I copy these to the original library and delete them from the new library (I call it dups.)
Then at my leisure I can check for other things like better dups in manageable chunks by copying about 50 to the main library and deleting them from the dups library , running the check duplicates plugin and checking them

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:55 AM   #12
LadyKate
Fanatic

I guess my original post was just a request for a way to use the data that is already displayed, but by being able to copy it to the clipboard.

When adding all those books we get that nice notification that the book is a dup that asks what to do with it. All I'm trying to do is find a way to copy that to the clipboard. It seems to make sense to be able to do that, but I have no idea how to do that.

Using two libraries just gives me two places to look at, that I can't open at the same time. I'm still bumbling around looking how to setup a virtual machine to be able to look at two libraries at the same time.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess my original post was just a request for a way to use the data that is already displayed, but by being able to copy it to the clipboard.

When adding all those books we get that nice notification that the book is a dup that asks what to do with it. All I'm trying to do is find a way to copy that to the clipboard. It seems to make sense to be able to do that, but I have no idea how to do that.

Using two libraries just gives me two places to look at, that I can't open at the same time. I'm still bumbling around looking how to setup a virtual machine to be able to look at two libraries at the same time.
I did the virtual machine thing but eventually found it more efficient to have the duplicates in one library and compare them manually.

The box that comes up for me when you add a duplicate book does have a copy to clipboard button and it does not ask me what to do with it?

Helen
Old 01-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I did the virtual machine thing but eventually found it more efficient to have the duplicates in one library and compare them manually.

The box that comes up for me when you add a duplicate book does have a copy to clipboard button and it does not ask me what to do with it?

Helen
Sorry, When adding a duplicate the options at the bottom are four buttons. Ok; select all; select none; cancel.

There is no "copy to clipboard" option. If you know how to access that please tell me.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, When adding a duplicate the options at the bottom are four buttons. Ok; select all; select none; cancel.

There is no "copy to clipboard" option. If you know how to access that please tell me.
Maybe we are adding books differently?
Both drag and drop and add books from folder in the add books menu give me a box with

The following 3 books .......

OK, Copy to Clipboard and Show Details buttons at the bottom.

Helen