Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
More Bizarre Pricing

Douglas Preston's new book 'Blasphemy'...hardcover price 15.57, Kindle price 20.76.

Huh??

I posted a review objecting to the price differential, and that review was deleted in a few hours.

What happened to 9.99???

Last edited by mdibella; 01-09-2008 at 11:01 AM.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They said it would be $9.99 on "most bestsellers" -- lots of wiggle room there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
They said it would be $9.99 on "most bestsellers" -- lots of wiggle room there.
Totally!

A price such as a $9.99 is a marketing enticement, simple and rewarding for the offerer. You can not expect any big entity to be satisfied by such a promise. They have, for the benefit of their investors, to increase their profit margins. It's almost a survival law...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
I noticed this happen with the new Arthur C. Clarke book "Firstborn". After a couple of days the price dropped to 9.99. I expect it is some type of glitch in the system. I saw the same book on the Sony site is 18.60. Hopefully the price will drop for the new Preston book on the Amazon site.

My 2 cents,
Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It will likely drop if nobody is buying it at that price
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
Same thing happened to Sue Grafton's new book: "T is for Trespass". I commented about it in the Discussions Forum. A lot of others also got on board. The price dropped a few dollars. Then in a few days, the price went down to $9.99.

Try putting your concerns in the Customer Discussion area. Maybe Amazon is finally cracking down on non reviews being posted in the Review section.
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
It will likely drop if nobody is buying it at that price
You can't expect price drops like that with ebooks. They have to pay for server space but there are no warehousing and restocking fees. Being just electrons those books will not follow the typical marketing schemes that we're used to with other tangible goods.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
gregr209
Enthusiast

I just sampled the free chapter offer from Amazon on this book and now I want it! It seems pretty good but I'm not going to pay 20 bucks for it. Hopefully the price will come down soon!

Greg
Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
"T is for Trespass" is down to $9.99, now.

I suspect that these pricing goofs are accidental.

[NKR (Not Kindle Related) = gregr209, I'm in Tracy, too. Small world...]
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
gregr209
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
"T is for Trespass" is down to $9.99, now.

I suspect that these pricing goofs are accidental.

[NKR (Not Kindle Related) = gregr209, I'm in Tracy, too. Small world...]
I think the crazy pricing is accidental too. I almost said something to the Kindle support guy I talked to today about my Kindle but decided not to.

[NKR (Not Kindle Related) - tlrwley, holy cow it is a small world!!!! Two Kindles in Tracy! That is crazy. I always have mine out at the gym and have people always asking me about it. We might be seeing more around time soon :-)
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr209 View Post
I think the crazy pricing is accidental too. I almost said something to the Kindle support guy I talked to today about my Kindle but decided not to.

[NKR (Not Kindle Related) - tlrwley, holy cow it is a small world!!!! Two Kindles in Tracy! That is crazy. I always have mine out at the gym and have people always asking me about it. We might be seeing more around time soon :-)
You missed a good opportunity to get heard since most big places have their phone services under supervisor listening. Make your points curteous and you'd be surprised what might come out of it.
It happened to me last summer. I wasn't happy with my internet provider so I dumped them for an other. Then they sent me a $150.00 bill for breach of contract; which wasn't quite true since the service had gone on from year to year after the expiration of what I had signed. To get info I had to call in, then I had to explain why I did not need their sevices anymore. Everything went calmly and curteously, even my telling that all my surroundings would know of their ways of doing. I paid them and shut up. One month later I got my check back with excuses. But I'm not going back to them ever.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Yeah. I plan to read this but so does Barb so I plan to get the hardcover next time I visit Costco. They are usually pretty cheap. Maybe they will take the hint when nobody buys this sort of pricing for the Kindle....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
gregr209
Enthusiast

Looks like Amazon dropped the price on the Preston's newest book BLASPHEMY to 14.01 (Kindle Edition). Now it is I think about a dollar lower then the hardcover. It still is crazy pricing for a new book on the Kindle but now I might think about getting it...might!

My 2 cents,
Greg
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
I posted in the Amazon discussion forum about this book's pricing. Nothing happened so I wrote to Amazon a day or two ago (maybe others wrote too). When Sue Grafton's book was reduced in price, it first dropped to $14.99 then a few days later it went down to $9.99. Let's hope the same thing will happen here. I do think Amazon is listening to people who write them regarding these kind of errors in pricing.
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Blasphemy is down to $9.99.

HTH,
Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote