Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i'd prefer getting a gtab 7 plus if you can find one. they've been on sale refurbished for $250 or so. it's got a super amoled screen which i love on my phones! should have jumped on it when it was available.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's what the information I found on Google
What seems to have happened is Samsung has changed the stock behavior of ICS to be consistent with their TouchWiz UI. This happens more on phones than on tablets it looks like Samsung has veered from the norm.

One of the strength and weakness of Android is it's openness many vendors have taken to tweaking the Launcher* apps and sometimes the Android internals to add more "features" or produce a user experience that is consistent with a product line. So while vendors do add some nice features they also make Android have a different experience when you transition from one vendor to another. Samsung's Mini Apps is another example of customization that is not an Android feature but a Samsung feature, one that I like very much. I hope future versions of Android include API for those kinds of apps.

If you install Nova or Apex from the Play store you will get a more Stock ICS experience.

*A launcher app is much like a Window manager in UNIX or like the "Explorer" shell in Windows.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
i'd prefer getting a gtab 7 plus if you can find one. they've been on sale refurbished for $250 or so. it's got a super amoled screen which i love on my phones! should have jumped on it when it was available.
Samsung has so confused the public with all of their different 7" models and their odd naming convention. The only two tablets that have Super AMOLED is the Tab 7.7" and the Toshiba Excite 7.7"

The tab plus has a 7.0" 1024x600 WSVGA PLS screen (Samsung Spec sheet)

The tab plus does have better hardware (a faster processor and GPS) but it is also Android 3.2 vs 4.0

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, X, that makes sense. When you say "Mini Apps", do you mean the ones that pop-up when you tap the up arrow at the bottom of the screen? Alarm, S Planner, World Clock, etc?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, X, that makes sense. When you say "Mini Apps", do you mean the ones that pop-up when you tap the up arrow at the bottom of the screen? Alarm, S Planner, World Clock, etc?
Yes.

My belief is Samsung is quietly positioning themselves for this competitive advantage. They currently have a competition going on where they offer $100K to the best mini app. With enough of these quality apps it will be another edge they will have over their competition.

=X=
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The tab plus does have better hardware (a faster processor and GPS) but it is also Android 3.2 vs 4.0
Samsung appears to be going for price points now. 1st gen Galaxy Players have better specs than 2nd gen players.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the sake of accuracy, my 7 also has GPS.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Samsung has so confused the public with all of their different 7" models and their odd naming convention. The only two tablets that have Super AMOLED is the Tab 7.7" and the Toshiba Excite 7.7"

The tab plus has a 7.0" 1024x600 WSVGA PLS screen (Samsung Spec sheet)

=X=
whoops, my bad. thanks for the assist.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
Duze
Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color (CM7), Nexus 7 (pre-ordered), GTab 7+ (sold)
The problem is that Samsung seems to drop support for devices almost as soon as they ship them. If you want upgraded software then you almost have to buy new hardware. (tab 7+ (os3.2) vs. tab2 7.0 (os4.0))
Duze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duze View Post
The problem is that Samsung seems to drop support for devices almost as soon as they ship them. If you want upgraded software then you almost have to buy new hardware. (tab 7+ (os3.2) vs. tab2 7.0 (os4.0))
Or you just visit xda-developers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Duze
Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Or you just visit xda-developers.
You would think that. Samsung releases a tablet with nice specs, even has an unlocked bootloader (reason I returned my nook tablet). The Gtab 7+ should have been really popular for devs on XDA.

The problem is that Samsung refused to released the source for the gtab 7+ wifi driver. So because of this the devs at XDA have been unable to port a working CM9 (well they have one, but wifi doesnt work on it) to it. The only thing they can do for it on XDA is minor tweaks to the firmware.

I have been on XDA for a long time for the 7+ and they have been waiting for Samsung to either release the ICS update or at least the full source code so they would work on the update themselves. But instead of doing either of those, Samsung decided to release the tab 2 line with worse specs and their only selling point over the older line being they came with ICS.

Still the owners of the older tablets wait for the update they keep getting promised as the release date keeps getting pushed back. Its one of the main reasons I sold my GTab and am hoping to get a Nexus tablet when they come out, at least then I hope to get a device that the company wont forget as soon as they release something new in a week or 2.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Samsung Canada has apparently confirmed the dates for the ICS update. I'm not so impatient for it that I would sell my tablet just because of a delay... It's a very good tablet!
http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...-0-plus-96355/
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
Duze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Samsung Canada has apparently confirmed the dates for the ICS update. I'm not so impatient for it that I would sell my tablet just because of a delay... It's a very good tablet!
http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...-0-plus-96355/
The problem is in May, Samsung Canada also said that they were releasing the ICS updates for the "eligible" devices. Also when members of XDA asked Samsung techs when it would be released, they were told repeatedly that it would be in June. This isnt even counting the reports late last year/early this year that the update would be in Q1.

Its not really the delay for the update that made me sell it, but them releasing new hardware with the update while refusing to release it for the better hardware or even release the drivers so a 3rd party could come out with custom firmware.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #29
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Not at all. It cost £199.99.
Cheers HarryT. Thats pretty much the price here on the continent too.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Having used it for two days now, I'm extremely impressed. I've bought a nice case for it from Amazon, and, in the case, it's almost the same size as my Kindle Touch (a little taller, and a little narrower). Battery life is good - I fully charged it on Tuesday, and have now been using for a day and a half, and the battery charge is still showing as 80%.

I mainly plan to use this as a portable video player, and it seems to be absolutely excellent for that. One thing I like about it (and something my iPad won't do!) is that it can switch any video between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio - very useful when a video file doesn't use the right aspect ratio automatically, as many don't.

Very pleased I bought it. Looking at the specs of the new Google tablet, the Samsung seems like a winner for me, in that it has an SD card slot, which is essential for my needs.