Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
smiggles
smiggles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Charging Kindle Touch

Hi,
For the people with a kindle touch, i was wondering how long it takes you to fully charge up your kindle. This is the third time i've had to charge my kindle and it's been about 20 hours (last time took about 10 hours), and the light is still orange =(. I've seen it flicker to green, and then go back to orange without me even unplugging it, so i'm not sure what's going on. I am currently overseas though and i'm not charging on my computer. I've plugged one of those travel adaptors into the power outlet, so that i can plug the amazon one in, and of course the USB into that. Any idea if that's the reason it's taking so long?

Thanks
Smiggles
smiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd say because it's not actually charging. I wonder if that's a carryover from the Kindle 3's. I've charged mine about ten times since I got it in June and a couple of times it hasn't charged, despite saying it is charging when I plug it in.

Not sure about the Touch's, but my K3 will usually charge in less than four hours.

I'd try unplugging it and doing a reset (if possible) and then plugging it back in.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggles View Post
Hi,
For the people with a kindle touch, i was wondering how long it takes you to fully charge up your kindle. This is the third time i've had to charge my kindle and it's been about 20 hours (last time took about 10 hours), and the light is still orange =(. I've seen it flicker to green, and then go back to orange without me even unplugging it, so i'm not sure what's going on. I am currently overseas though and i'm not charging on my computer. I've plugged one of those travel adaptors into the power outlet, so that i can plug the amazon one in, and of course the USB into that. Any idea if that's the reason it's taking so long?

Thanks
Smiggles
Funny you mention this because I was thinking about posting something similar.
I have charged my Kindle Touch 4 or 5 times and each time, the light never goes green. I leave the Kindle plugged in over night, the battery charges but the light doesn't go green. I don't know if this means it never charges the last 1 or 2 percent or what. I haven't worried to much about it since the battery still lasts forever when I unplug it.

Now that I think about it...maybe I will try turning the Kindle all the way off and charging it. Will it display a "fully charged" notification on the screen like phones/ipods do when they are shut off? Hmm, I wonder....

EDIT: ooh, my status has changed to groupie.....that sounds weird.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
smiggles
smiggles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for your replies i think next time i'll try charging from my laptop and see if its an issue with the adaptors i'm using.
smiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
dbh2ppa
dbh2ppa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've only charged it a couple of times thus far, and never from a completely empty battery, but starting from about 25% charge (give or take) it takes less than 3 hours for the light to go green on mine.
dbh2ppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
My kindle touch went totally dead last night with a green LED while plugged into USB networking. I had a working SSH even after dead battery icon filled the screen. Then I unplugged the USB cable and there was no way to restablish USB networking or bootup past the dead battery screen, after a couple of reboots it would not reboot, the LED would not even flicker a little. Totally dead with a dead battery icon on the screen.

I plugged it into a power cube usb charger. Even after 2 hours of charging it was still totally dead. Then at some time later I noticed that it had turned itself on and was sitting at the home screen showing about 50% charge. It took about 14 hours to reach a full charge.

Apparently the touch battery can be completely discharged during an SSH session over usb.

This morning I plugged it into USB networking again, and after a few hours I noticed that the LED had changed from green to yellow. I wonder how long until it is totally dead again.

What is the command to make it charge while usb networking is active?

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 12:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Apparently the touch battery can be completely discharged during an SSH session over usb.

This morning I plugged it into USB networking again, and after a few hours I noticed that the LED had changed from green to yellow. I wonder how long until it is totally dead again.

Some USB ports on computers have been reported to provide lower than standard current/voltage(?), and usb charging doesn't work on them. Do you have another computer (another brand) that you can try it on?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One of the Kindle Touches I got had an issue with reaching full charge. Doing a 'hard' reset (hold power button 15-20 seconds) fixed it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

Mine is being charged even with usbnet active. While connected to the computer I can see in /var/log/messages that the actual battery level is increasing. But while working with it you might be consuming more power than it can draw from the computer. Old 100mA USB specification is not enough for many devices and I don't know if Kindle can ask for more power (500mA).
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I bought the adapter but did notice it took quite a while to charge. I'm not sure if it ever reached "full charge" and will pay more attention next time. But, the charge really does seem to last a LONG time. It was only partly charged when I got it and really didn't need to be charged when I started to charge it. I just wanted to see how the adapter worked.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote