Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Question Canadians barred from Amazon Android App Store?

Has anyone heard whether or not the Amazon Android App store will be opened to Canadians? Right now, even if you get your hands on the Kindle Fire, apparently it does not allow you to download apps from the Amazon App store ...

I know (probably) that we can D/L from other 3rd party stores (the same apps), but it would be nice to have it open to us - obviously, if we buy the Fire we understand we can't use the free "streaming" portion of it, but there's no reason we should be barred from the App store (in my view, anyway).
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It is possible that apps from other places will not install or run correctly. That may be one of the reasons that Amazon is not selling the Fire to people in other countries, yet. Probably licensing issues are involved.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Since the Kindle Fire isn't supported or sold to Canadians, I can't say I'm surprised. However, that being said, it's fairly painless for a Canadian to have a US account with Amazon, and to appear to be in the US when required.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I do. Unfortunately, somehow the "air" in WiFi shouts out "Canadian" to the Amazon App store (much to my surprise). Oh, well, there are (money-costing) solutions to that also ... VPN.

It's just a shame and seems a foolish waste of Amazon's energy to barr us. And so many of us are loyal to our Kindles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Since the Kindle Fire isn't supported or sold to Canadians, I can't say I'm surprised. However, that being said, it's fairly painless for a Canadian to have a US account with Amazon, and to appear to be in the US when required.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
friktion
Zealot

No, they work perfectly well here too. I've been playing with a Kobo and all the Apps I will install onto the Fire work just as well on the Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It is possible that apps from other places will not install or run correctly. That may be one of the reasons that Amazon is not selling the Fire to people in other countries, yet. Probably licensing issues are involved.
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
No, they work perfectly well here too. I've been playing with a Kobo and all the Apps I will install onto the Fire work just as well on the Kobo.
Are they Amazon apps that you have been installing on the kobo though?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I just set up a us-based account for my (Canadian) ex-girlfriend. Works fine for her. Look into getting a buddy to do that for you, imo.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
They detect that the wifi ISP is not through the USA. Regardless of the account.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
friktion
Zealot

No, I found them through other sites. I can get into Amazon App store but cannot purchase or download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Are they Amazon apps that you have been installing on the kobo though?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
friktion
Zealot

Yes, exactly ... It just sucks - I feel like I have to sneak around like a criminal.

Quote:
They detect that the wifi ISP is not through the USA. Regardless of the account.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Dunno what to tell you. She uses hers just fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
friktion
Zealot

Maybe I'll keep my fingers crossed and it'll work out ...

Thanks for the info ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Dunno what to tell you. She uses hers just fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Maybe I'll keep my fingers crossed and it'll work out ...

Thanks for the info ...
I do know, that the app store detection is based upon your one-click default payment address. If it's set to a US address, you're fine. A canadian one, and you're dinged. I know this because I had her card on my account for a while, and having hers as the default would generate the 'YOU BAD PERSON, YOU'RE NOT IN THE US' error, but changing 1-click to MY us-based card, seconds later, allowed app purchases...even from Nova Scotia. Conversely, having her card set while trying a purchase IN the US generated the error.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
friktion
Zealot

Gweminence -

Ooh - that makes sense. Thanks, I will investigate I'm sure I can work my way around that ...
Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
LOTS of solutions to that. Some free, some not. My account for my Kindle is a US account. (US bank and debit cc through RBC, accomodation address in the US.) That's all that's required for books and Kindle apps for regular Kindles. But for videos, etc., I'll need to add a VPN solution to get my IP address down to the US too. No big deal.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote