Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #61
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Ahh....I figured that, but I don't see my softkey buttons when using the OMC software while the book is open.....Maybe I need to make some softkey setting adjustment..... I'm just figuring out how the softkey works
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #62
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You may wish to install Button Savior. Some here have uninstalled SoftKeys after using Button Savior. No configuration needed. Open the app once and a very small button on the side of the screen appears.

Install Home Switcher (free in Market) if you haven't already. You can use it to switch between your launcher and the stock home screen.

Last edited by SCION; 12-29-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #63
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

I like button savior....and it works in OMC, unlike the softkeys....thanks...

When you say switch between Launcher and stock home screen, I've just set up my ADW home screen (I think) there are 5 screen now, and I've got shortcuts now too......right the hard N button takes me to the new ADW desktop, the softkey one took me to the BN preloaded one (with the BN book swipe feature - which I like)
So the Home Switcher will do that some other way? Is that what you mean
Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #64
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's fine. I usually add extra stuff to posts for those who are following along and may not be aware of something.

Use whatever works for you. Also, Home Switcher allows you to reset the stock home screen as default, or something else.

Last edited by SCION; 12-29-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #65
The Joker
Addict

Keep the extra tips coming......It's been really helpful......

I almost feel like a cyber stalker, just to get knowledge of my new toy, and what it can do...
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #66
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Just tried Overdrive again after making the B&N browser the default browser AND setting the "user agent" to Mobile and WALA! Overdrive works perfectly! I didn't even need to save the .acsm file - it opened automatically in Overdrive!

I haven't tried Dolphin yet; but there is something squirly going on w/ the user agent between Dolphin and the original browser ....

but it is nice to know that I now have the ebook library from my local library at my fingertips, w/o jumping through a lot of hoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes, you have to use a file manager to get the book. Just click on it and Overdrive brings it into its library. We all get the gibberish text. Just the fact that the text can be saved and turned into something that Overdrive recognizes is an unexpected resolution. Of course that's not the way the app is supposed to work, but we have a rooted device that isn't listed as being supported on the Overdrive website.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #67
The Joker
Addict

Library Audiobooks MP3 download

So from my library, I downloaded a MP3 audiobook to my library account.....However, I seem to be having issues actually downloading it to either my Overdrive account (directly thru my NC) or my ADE account on my computer....

I can download ebooks directly from my library account to my NC (wireless with no USB required, of course I can only open those using the OMC software), but I can't download the MP3 audio book this way (maybe the file is too large compared to a an Ebook)??

I can also download ebooks from my library account to my ADE account on my computer and then sideload them to my NC (via USB), but when I try and download the MP3 audiobook file from my library account, it won't load into my ADE software. When it downloads it is a .odm file, that isn't recognized by ADE (nor any other software)....

I'd ask the library....but the librarians at my local library didn't even know anything about getting ebooks on my nook.......

Any help out there, as to how to ge MP3 audiobooks to my NC?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #68
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
So from my library, I downloaded a MP3 audiobook to my library account.....However, I seem to be having issues actually downloading it to either my Overdrive account (directly thru my NC) or my ADE account on my computer....
Did you try Jasoraso's method? Use the stock browser with User Agent set to mobile (not desktop) and launch the download from your library site on the NC.

I just checked out an mp3 audiobook and it worked great.

Are you getting to the Overdrive download screen on your device? If not, then the size isn't the problem. If you are and the download fails .... not sure what the problem might be. The part I downloaded correctly to test was 32MB.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #69
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:

I can download ebooks directly from my library account to my NC (wireless with no USB required, of course I can only open those using the OMC software), but I can't download the MP3 audio book this way (maybe the file is too large compared to a an Ebook)??

I can also download ebooks from my library account to my ADE account on my computer and then sideload them to my NC (via USB), but when I try and download the MP3 audiobook file from my library account, it won't load into my ADE software. When it downloads it is a .odm file, that isn't recognized by ADE (nor any other software)....

I'd ask the library....but the librarians at my local library didn't even know anything about getting ebooks on my nook.......

I use the Overdrive Media Console to download MP3 audiobooks from the library. After it downloads them, it will store them on your hard-drive in a folder such as Documents/My Media/MP3 Audiobooks (that's the file-path on a Mac). There will be subfolders with the title of the book which contain the MP3 files. They do not have DRM. You can then drag and drop them over to your NOOKcolor's "My Files/Music" folder using Windows Explorer / Mac Finder just like you would any other music files. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #70
The Joker
Addict

OK....I used the stock browser (I've been using Dolphin as my default browser) on my NC and clicked download from my library accounts bookshelf.... it has now opened my OMC and says its downloading new title...... similar to what has happened when I've downloaded a book directly to my NC......It's been about 10 minutes so far.....it hasn't completed yet (I guess)........hopefully it goes thru.....(actually just want to know I can do it, the actual audio book isn't all that important)

Prior to this attempt (with Dolphin) it kept coming back with an error message, with some code information....so it has gotten farther than it did previously.....wonder why it's taking so long (I'm assuming file size).....
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #71
The Joker
Addict

I have ADE on my computer, which I've used to download books from my library to my hard drive, and then used ADE to drag the ebook files over.....

So your saying I should probably have Overdrive on my computer (in addition to ADE) so to open this .odm file in a readable format, so then I can drag it to my NC's drive....

right now I only have OMC on my NC....and it might be working (see above post) but it has now been over 15 minutes, and my NC still says it's downloading new file....
Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #72
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, that's correct. I use ADE for ebooks and OMC for audiobooks on my computer. The audiobooks are really large files, and it can take many minutes to download them on my Mac with a speedy internet connection. I'm not surprised that it might take awhile to download on your rooted NC.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #73
The Joker
Addict

Ok Thanks....guess I should try that route.......trying to wirelessly download to my NC, using OMC is taking way too long......It still says "Loading New File" with an hour glass type thingy going on......so that's been over 30 minutes...At this point I'm wondering if it's hung up...

ETA:
That was it.....I downloaded OMC onto my computer, and was able to download the MP3 audiobook file (32MB - 6 parts) to my computer in 6 minutes......

My NC is still downloading the file wirelessly from my library account to my NC, it's been almost an hour and a half.....(I may have to kill it.....although I'm not sure how)

Now.....can I get the file from my computer to my Nook.....I will get it done tonight, no matter how long it takes......The SO has been a bit perturbed to say the the least, with my NC obsession
I wanted to try the wireless webshare app (the initial point of this excersize).....but I doubt the free version can handle a file of this size....

ETA2 4 minutes to get the file to my NC, so total of ~10 minutes to get the file from my library account to my NC....... compared to over 1.5hrs using the wireless method, and never actually made it thru....

Now..... I'm going to listen to it ...and play I might even bring it to work tomorrow and continue listening to it.....

Thanks for the tip BookWorm Girl

Last edited by The Joker; 01-04-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Update......FYI
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #74
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Just tried Overdrive again after making the B&N browser the default browser AND setting the "user agent" to Mobile...
Is this part of the 1.0.1 update?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #75
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
ETA2 4 minutes to get the file to my NC, so total of ~10 minutes to get the file from my library account to my NC....... compared to over 1.5hrs using the wireless method, and never actually made it thru....
FWIW, I was able to download wirelessly to my NC in minutes, no problems at all. And I was even connected to my sprint cellular service for data connectivity at the time. About the expected download speed. My file was also 32MB.

Perhaps the wireless network your NC was connected to was not good.

If you have wireless issues, you can download speedtest app to your NC and double check that your wireless connection is solid.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook color, overdrive