Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #106
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am hoping that is so, but there is a couple of things there. I tend to read tombstones and these where all between 350 and 450 pages and VERY easy reading. Add in I have MS and can lose my ability to read for weeks at a time and my stubborn refusal to finish anything I start. This is made even worse by my reluctance to read what I am not loving can drag a book out for ages when I strike one I do not love.

Annoying bad habits hey

Okay 90% done on Salems Lot so I am going to finish it today YEAH.

applesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for explaining, and best of luck with your challenge.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #107
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
and my stubborn refusal to [not] finish anything I start. This is made even worse by my reluctance to read what I am not loving can drag a book out for ages when I strike one I do not love.
I do urge you to give yourself permission to abandon a book that's not to your taste. You have no obligation to the author to finish it just because you've started it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #108
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I do urge you to give yourself permission to abandon a book that's not to your taste. You have no obligation to the author to finish it just because you've started it.
But thats so much easier said than done...especially when you're thinking: "Maybe if I give it a few more pages".
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #109
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:

I did not actually hate Salems Lot, finished YAH. But it did not love it. I have made myself a promise that any book I hate ie Shades Of Grey I start again I will just ditch. I mean how insane was I to read all 3 Shades books telling myself with all that talk they had to get better.
It is part of my 2013 xhallenge to myself, if I hate it ditch it. My next step will be allowing myself to read more than 1 book at a time, I feel this will push the ones I am not totally in love with into the ditch pile.

I know pretty lame needing steps to break a life long bad habbit

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #110
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
But thats so much easier said than done...especially when you're thinking: "Maybe if I give it a few more pages".
Oh, I know. I never used to abandon books, but I have started doing so. Life's too short!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #111
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Oh, I know. I never used to abandon books, but I have started doing so. Life's too short!
Hear, hear. Something I have started to do more often now - I've finally abandoned the view that if an author has to gone to this much trouble to write a book, I should give them the courtesy of trying to read it all. Now I just say "rubbish", toss it, and move on. A recent example was 15 Seconds byAndrew Gross. Apallingly written attempt to simulate teen-speak (at least I think that's what he was doing) and I couldn't get much past the first few pages.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #112
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just started The Law of Superheroes for my first non-fiction of the year. I transitioned out of private practice and into the full time teaching of the law in December, and this seemed a fitting endeavor to commemorate that.

The book discusses many major principles of law using actual storylines from DC, Marvel, Image (and many other publishers) comic books. For example, I spent last evening reading a discussion of whether or not Batman can testify against the Joker AS Batman or if the 6th Amendment Confrontation Clause would necessitate the revealing of his secret identity on the stand.
Fascinating read for a comic book geek or an attorney, and I just happen to be both.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just updated my list. Have a look.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69#post2366269
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #114
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've just updated my list. Have a look.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69#post2366269
The way you set it up:
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #115
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I have 2.5 down, should be the full 3 done by the weekend. Right on track for my goal.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #116
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Five years down, thirty-nine to go. A very good start to the reading year and keeping to the reading list so far.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #117
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
When I'm reading a book that I'm not liking, I start skipping/skimming ahead looking for something to recapture my interest. If I can't find anything, well, I've skipped all the way to the end, so then I'm done with the book!
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #118
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
When I'm reading a book that I'm not liking, I start skipping/skimming ahead looking for something to recapture my interest. If I can't find anything, well, I've skipped all the way to the end, so then I'm done with the book!
You know, I would not have considered that! I just don't skim; I either read it or I don't.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #119
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Eight books down, 112 to go.

And the last two were pretty long - near 9000 and over 11,000 Kindle locations respectively, which is considerably more than my average read which tends to be in the 4000-6000 locations category.

I'm trying very hard with my secondary challenges, and have actually only bought one book in the last seven days. I've had my finger hover over the buy button for several others but have managed to talk some sense into myself, as those would have been all impulse buys of the "oh, this looks like it might be interesting; maybe I'll want to read it some day" kind (which almost never end up getting read right away, so they might just as well go to wish list instead).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #120
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Eight books down Perhaps you should set a higher goal this year than you did last year. I am only up to thee as yet.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote