Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
paperwhite light off?

I just have a query about the light on the paperwhite.

Does the light on the paperwhite actually turn off? I've turned it down to the lowest setting (none of the bars highlighted). I've just turned all the lights off in my bedroom to do the bedroom test and it was already lit. I could make out the text and only turned it up to 3 and I could see really well. I'm not bothered if this is not what its supposed to be doing as I'm fine with it like that. I'm just curious. When anyone else has their light tuned off in the dark does it still look slightly lit?
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I just have a query about the light on the paperwhite.

Does the light on the paperwhite actually turn off? I've turned it down to the lowest setting (none of the bars highlighted). I've just turned all the lights off in my bedroom to do the bedroom test and it was already lit. I could make out the text and only turned it up to 3 and I could see really well. I'm not bothered if this is not what its supposed to be doing as I'm fine with it like that. I'm just curious. When anyone else has their light tuned off in the dark does it still look slightly lit?
You cannot turn the light off completely, no. It's always on even on the lowest setting.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

The light never turns completely off except in sleep mode.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Oh I see thanks. I was just surprised to see it lit. I guess that would explain why my screen looks so nice in bright light/outdoors.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope there will be an update to change this - no background light whatsoever is a lot easier on the eye!
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
duelle
duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I hope there will be an update to change this - no background light whatsoever is a lot easier on the eye!
Any ambient light at all makes it impossible to notice the light at the lowest level. Even on 10 or 11, the sun or a bright light will make the built-in light irrelevant.
duelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by duelle View Post
Even on 10 or 11, the sun or a bright light will make the built-in light irrelevant.
Nope! The sun yes, but not any indoor light.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Why on earth would Amazon do that when the selling point of the PW IS the frontlighting feature which CAN be turned down to nearly non-existent? If one does not want any lighting they can easily purchase a KT or K4B.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Why on earth would Amazon do that when the selling point of the PW IS the frontlighting feature which CAN be turned down to nearly non-existent? If one does not want any lighting they can easily purchase a KT or K4B.
What if someone wants to control the lighting so it is only switched on when it is needed?

I wanted the backlight so I could read during the night.

What's the big problem with having the option to switch it off when you don't need it and want less eye-strain?

I don't leave my lamp on for 24 a day though its selling point is to bring light.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
What if someone wants to control the lighting so it is only switched on when it is needed?

I wanted the backlight so I could read during the night.

What's the big problem with having the option to switch it off when you don't need it and want less eye-strain?

I don't leave my lamp on for 24 a day though its selling point is to bring light.
This is exactly what worries me, the inability to switch of the light completely and so avoid unnecessary eyestrain. My Paperwhite is still on order but I shall make very sure my eyes are not going to suffer before I decide to keep it. I tried the Kobo Glo that has a light you can turn off. I really liked it, other than the fact that the light settings cannot be turned down low enough.

Why is it so hard for the manufacturers to get it right I wonder. The flexibility of formatting and the light on/off switch from the Glo and the light variability from the Paperwhite ...... are you listening Sony, or anyone else?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
This is exactly what worries me, the inability to switch of the light completely and so avoid unnecessary eyestrain.
Eyestrain? Have you actually SEEN a Paperwhite on minimum light setting? Genuine question. I cannot imagine anyone getting "eyestrain" from the minimum light setting on a PW. It's a glimmer barely visible in a totally dark room.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I don't get the eyestrain comments.

In a poorly lit area, the PW light helps avoid eyestrain.

In a well lit area, the PW light on one of the lower settings is virtually invisible (i.e. it sure looks like its off even though it isn't).
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I don't get the eyestrain comments.

In a poorly lit area, the PW light helps avoid eyestrain.

In a well lit area, the PW light on one of the lower settings is virtually invisible (i.e. it sure looks like its off even though it isn't).
This is my experience too. However I noticed that the light went out while my PW updated the last time. I assume there must be some reason for leaving it on all the time and it's probably what marcus writes.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
This is exactly what worries me, the inability to switch of the light completely and so avoid unnecessary eyestrain. My Paperwhite is still on order but I shall make very sure my eyes are not going to suffer before I decide to keep it. I tried the Kobo Glo that has a light you can turn off. I really liked it, other than the fact that the light settings cannot be turned down low enough.

Why is it so hard for the manufacturers to get it right I wonder. The flexibility of formatting and the light on/off switch from the Glo and the light variability from the Paperwhite ...... are you listening Sony, or anyone else?
Please don't compare the Kobo Glo (or the Nook with light) to the Paperwhite Now that I have my PW, and having played with both the Kobo and Nook models, there is absolutely NO comparison...

I have to agree with the others here, too, that sliding the light down to 1 or 2 makes it pretty much "off" in my opinion.
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordanim View Post
Please don't compare the Kobo Glo (or the Nook with light) to the Paperwhite Now that I have my PW, and having played with both the Kobo and Nook models, there is absolutely NO comparison...

I have to agree with the others here, too, that sliding the light down to 1 or 2 makes it pretty much "off" in my opinion.
Exactly! You only know it's on if you're in a room with no light on at midnight. Other than that, it sure as heck looks like it's off! It's so minimal it might as well BE off. There's zero eye strain at the lowest level and if someone does get eyestrain from that, give up reading. You've got bigger issues to deal with & get yourself to an eye doctor ASAP!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote