Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #676
adi23
adi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle touch KT
If i try to run Diag mode i receive the following informations from the serial into the putty window:

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Feb 19 2012 - 05:01:38)

CPU: Freescale i.MX50 family 1.1V at 800 MHz
mx50 pll1: 800MHz
mx50 pll2: 400MHz
mx50 pll3: 216MHz
ipg clock : 50000000Hz
ipg per clock : 50000000Hz
uart clock : 24000000Hz
ahb clock : 100000000Hz
axi_a clock : 400000000Hz
axi_b clock : 200000000Hz
weim_clock : 100000000Hz
ddr clock : 800000000Hz
esdhc1 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc2 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc3 clock : 80000000Hz
esdhc4 clock : 80000000Hz
MMC: FSL_ESDHC: 0, FSL_ESDHC: 1
Board: Unknown
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board Id: 0000000000000000
S/N: 0000000000000000
*** TODO: Dump protected MMC here ***
Invalid board id! Can't determine system type for RAM init.. bailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you erased u-boot just what are you: "successfully connect(ing)" to?
adi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #677
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That IS U-boot, it says so on the first line.
Seems to be working pretty well for an erased file.

Next, use the published tools to replace your erased serial number and board id.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #678
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi23 View Post
Hello,

I have a Kindle Touch and all partitions were erased (including the u-boot partition). I have attached a serial port cable to the kindle and i can successfully connect it with putty.

I have tryed to run MfgTool with Diag mode and i can see in putty that the boot process fails becouse The Board Id and S/N are blank.(this happens before loading u-boot, which doesn't exist anymore anyway)

I need to know how can i flash the partitions using the serial port when everything was wiped out from the kindle?

Thank you
You didn't erased U-Boot (because it's located in special "hidden" partition). <later EDIT> I was most possibly wrong. Now I know, that evil fastboot comand (eraseall) wipes even U-Boot (both of them: "primary" U-Boot and bist U-Boot) without asking for confirmation. </later EDIT>

Well, but you definitely did erased your Board Id. And U-Boot now doesn't know how to initialize RAM (as shown by log in your next post), so it couldn't proceed further.

I guess, one of the ways to recover system would be building of custom U-Boot (from Amazon sources) where selection of RAM initializing code will not depend on Board Id, but rather will be "hardwired".
Spoiler:
Then load it through USB downloader mode. Fastboot is included in U-Boot, so with fastboot you'll should be able to write rootfs back. Then load into that rootfs (again, you'll need custom U-Boot) and re-write Board Id and Serial # with idme tool.

Now, the bad part of my advice is that I will not made such the U-Boot available for you (i.e. I will not compile it for you). Sorry. It's also just a hypothetical way (I didn't tried it by myself), so it could fail in reality. But it shouldn't.

Oh, but there is an easier way U-Boot also provides command idme:
Code:
idme    - Set nv ram variables
idme <var> <value>
    - set a variable value
idme ?
    - print out known values
Available variables for setting values: serial, accel, mac, sec, pcbsn, bootmode, postmode. I guess, you should set serial and pcbsn.

Last edited by eureka; 12-22-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: new knowledge
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #679
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I used a custom u-boot because my K4 had lifted pads for serial input. It was "output only". So I used a custom u-boot with hard-wired idme vars. But with fully functional serial i/o, the idme var commands would certainly be easier than building a custom u-boot.

But you still need to know what values to put there. The amazon techs should be able to tell you your serial and pcbsn, if you can get escalated to a high-level tech who has access to that information.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #680
adi23
adi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to beholdadi23 is a splendid one to behold

I have recovered my old values from a log file, but i don't understand how should i set the values with the idme command.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I used a custom u-boot because my K4 had lifted pads for serial input. It was "output only". So I used a custom u-boot with hard-wired idme vars. But with fully functional serial i/o, the idme var commands would certainly be easier than building a custom u-boot.

But you still need to know what values to put there. The amazon techs should be able to tell you your serial and pcbsn, if you can get escalated to a high-level tech who has access to that information.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #681
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

idme --help tells commands.

There is an UNDOCUMENTED parameter needed to WRITE them. It is "-d", but on the K4/K5 it only works when booted from diags. I just tested it on the Paperwhite and it also works when booted from main.

You can change the boot mode to diags like this:
idme -d --bootmode diags

I just did that and I am now playing with my Paperwhite diags menu. SSH is disabled on the Paperwhite, as expected.

You can also set the idme vars in a diags menu.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #682
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi23 View Post
I have recovered my old values from a log file, but i don't understand how should i set the values with the idme command.
You should be able to get to the U-Boot command line interface. Or you can't?

If you'll ever get to U-Boot command line, then enter:
Code:
idme pcbsn <boardid>
idme serial <serial number>
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #683
geekmaster

I see that the Paperwhite diags menu has "Install USB bundle" and "Install Wifi bundle". I tried wifi, and it tried connecting to a router (unknown SSID) then failed with "update*.bin not found"...

It looks like you can install update packages from the diags menu. Perhaps that is what you are supposed to do the the "Install Fastboot bundle" option in the K4/K5 diags menu. Those install options set a mode (fastboot/USB export/wifi) then try to install an update package from there...

I wish I could take screenshots from diags. I suppose should make a video of my Paperwhite diags exploration...
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #684
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post

Code:
idme pcbsn <boardid>
You need to add "-d" or it will not write those values. And "-d" is not supported when booting from main on K4/K5...
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #685
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You need to add "-d" or it will not write those values. And "-d" is not supported when booting from main on K4/K5...
I was speaking about setting idme variables through U-Boot command line, rather with idme tool in OS environment. U-Boot command doesn't require -d switch (it doesn't even know about it).
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #686
geekmaster

Quote:
I was speaking about setting idme variables through U-Boot command line, rather with idme tool in OS environment. U-Boot command doesn't require -d switch (it doesn't even know about it).
Ahh... I was talking about SSH. Sorry...
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #687
adi23

I am not able to enter the U-Boot command line interface. My screen doesn't show nothing.

Quote:

Code:
idme pcbsn <boardid>
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #688
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Code:
idme pcbsn <boardid>
The posted output reads as if the prompt is not issued until **after** u-boot tries to start the mDDR ram.

Which seems sort of dumb, why have recovery features that don't work when the system needs to be recovered?
^^^ A rhetorical question for lab126 ^^^
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #689
adi23

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The posted output reads as if the prompt is not issued until **after** u-boot tries to start the mDDR ram.

Which seems sort of dumb, why have recovery features that don't work when the system needs to be recovered?
^^^ A rhetorical question for lab126 ^^^

Yes, because of this fail i can't set the idme var in U-Boot command line, the serial can only receive informations from the device.

The only solution i can think is to have a custom u-boot with idme vars already known, so i can boot and set back my old values (i have already recovered them from old logs).

I have searched in the u-boot sources and it seems that modifying some idme functions to use default values for idme vars instead of loading them from memory should work, but probably it's much more to code than this. The first problem is that i can't find a complete guide for how should u-boot be build to binaries. Can anyone help me with a guide for this or maybe with modified u-boot so i can change back my idme vars?

Thank you
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #690
knc1
Going Viral

U-boot needs to be configured for the target machine.
So other than selecting the proper configuration target from the u-boot in the K5 source bundle rather than the u-boot configuration from the DX source bundle . . . .

This should 'just work':
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=276

Once you make (no pun intended) that happen, then you can go about modifying the source code.
Just be sure to do a 'make clean' before the 'make <..._config> ; make' step after any changes even though the build scripting does a full dependency test.

The cross-compilers for Windows and for Linux are posted in the DIY-KeK environment pool. If running MacOSx, probably running a Linux LiveCD is the best idea.

Also follow this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194025
Although it does not apply to building u-boot, it could be used for that purpose.
The reason being that the build scripting forces an "application's gcc" to function as a "standalone (bare metal) gcc"

Last edited by knc1; 10-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Tags
debricking