Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
nebcanuck
Kobo user
nebcanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
E-Textbook Store?

Was asked today by a friend whether you can get textbooks for e-readers. I wasn't sure, and looked it up. Looks like textbooks.com carries quite a few e-textbooks. But I didn't recognize many of the titles.

Now more specifically: Is anyone aware of a good e-textbook supplier, particularly one that works with the Epub format? Is this more of an emerging field?
nebcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Ebooks.com has academic ebooks. I've never bought anything there, though it looks like you mostly have a choice between epub and PDF.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
In my experience, many text books are done up in proprietary, and often little used formats. I know so far none of the textbooks I've had to use offered formats that I could use on my ebook reader.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I haven't found many. B&N sells a few, but not many. I've been using coursesmart and read them on my laptop. I think the larger lcd screen is better suited for textbooks. Browsing and flipping back and forth isn't easily accomplished on a 6" eink screen.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
The textbook that I use for my AP Chem course is available as a pdf file. I have it on my JBL as well as my laptop and use it regularly in class sessions.

My wife is taking education courses. Her textbooks are sometimes available as ebooks, but are proprietary, only available using the software of the publishing company. I haven't found a way on the net to get it on to her ebook reader.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, textbooks