Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
ccayer
ccayer is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X50v, JetBook Lite
Book naming on direct transfer to JetBook Lite

I just updated to 0.7.10 (great job everyone!), and have a question about the naming scheme used when transferring books directly to my JetBook Lite.

When I transfer books to the main device memory, an Author (last name, first) folder appears in the root of the Books menu on the device. In that folder individual books appear in the format Author Name#Book_Title. There is no underscore in the folder name, just a comma delimiter. In the file name, there is a space between the author's first and last name, but underscores replace spaces in the title. I know that the # is supposed to display the author name and title on separate lines of the device display, but that doesn't seem to be working.

If I send books to the SD card instead of the device's main memory, it places them in a Books folder, which then shows up in the root on the device along with all the authors that are in the devices memory.

Is there a way to customize Calibre so the books transferred to the SD card in the device get saved at the root level of the card? Also, is there a way to adjust the naming scheme to avoid the # and underscores? Or make them work the way the device is supposed to show them? I'll gladly try any suggestions. Thanks!
ccayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I would like to know this as well. I recently copied a heap of ebooks to my wife's JBL and had to re-edit the titles using file explorer.

Cheers for any help!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It likely has something to do with firmware revisions. Presumably some jetbook firmware versions need the # structure, others dont.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
ccayer

I did recently update to the latest firmware. To test your idea, I tried using text files instead of epub. The txt files correctly changed underscores to spaces on the display; spaces and underscores display identically. Also, the # correctly divided the Author and the Title on spearate lines. I'm not sure if these display "features" are tied only to the txt format, so I'll play around with it a bit more tomorrow to see how other file formats fare. If it turns out that the # and underscores don't display properly with epubs, is it possible to change the way epubs are named when saved to the device? In either case, is there a way to avoid the Books folder that is automatically created when Calibre transfers books directly to the device's SD card? (the Books folder needs to be in the device's built-in memory, just not on the SD card) Thanks

Last edited by ccayer; 07-26-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Books folder on the SD card is explicitly added to the driver, which means that the person who wrote the driver thought it was necessary. Are you sure it's not needed?

I'll comment on the # issue once you've worked out the exact circumstances when # naming is used.
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
ccayer

After a bit of testing, I now see how the JBL displays these files:

TXT, PDF & FB2 files display on two lines in the menu, with the # as an undisplayed divider. EPUB, MOBI, PRC & RTF display on one line with the # and underscores visible.

The SD card is a mess too. If you use a Books folder to keep books separated from pictures and music on the SD card, it shows up as a subfolder in the menu. If you dump everything in the root of the SD card, it looks great in the menu, but everything is jumbled together. Although the pictures don't show up in the Book menu, the books do show up in the Pictures menu in this case.

I posted on the Ectaco forums to see if this is typical behavior, or if I'm doing something wrong. I'll really be suprised to find out that no one has run across this before.

Thanks

Last edited by ccayer; 07-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's weird. Maybe you should clarify this with Ectaco. Is it intended behavior? What's the logic?