Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #406
krajiska
krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle 4nt

And looks like the control panel
krajiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #407
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@krajiska: I'm not trying to discourage you - but it looks like your device is in a really weird and totally bricked state. All the tools that we know to usually work fail to bring it into fastboot mode.

You may want to check out the "simple debricking" thread for more information about u-boot, fastboot, and the entire machinery. For instance, you could try to upload eureka's hacked fastboot image which doesn't require the uboot bist - maybe that what is causing your problem. In any case, you will have to read and learn a lot of extremely lowlevel stuff, including the layout and design of the chip.

Take a look at this - I know it's for the Kindle Touch, but it probably applies to the K4 as well. Otherwise, look for "eureka", "fastboot", "imx_usb", and "bist", in the mentioned thread and in this forum. Good luck!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #408
krajiska
krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I do not know whether it would help if I took out the battery from another kidle (I have another one the same only black) and then try to enable it. Or if there is a method to use a different kindle device starts to work this first.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #409
krajiska

This is how it looks when directly connected via USB to a computer (before I installed the libusb)
Old 05-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #410
krajiska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@krajiska: I'm not trying to discourage you - but it looks like your device is in a really weird and totally bricked state. All the tools that we know to usually work fail to bring it into fastboot mode.

You may want to check out the "simple debricking" thread for more information about u-boot, fastboot, and the entire machinery. For instance, you could try to upload eureka's hacked fastboot image which doesn't require the uboot bist - maybe that what is causing your problem. In any case, you will have to read and learn a lot of extremely lowlevel stuff, including the layout and design of the chip.

Take a look at this - I know it's for the Kindle Touch, but it probably applies to the K4 as well. Otherwise, look for "eureka", "fastboot", "imx_usb", and "bist", in the mentioned thread and in this forum. Good luck!
Ixtab Thanks for the advice. See what I can still be done, but in all I have to give it up. It seems that this does not help my kindle
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #411
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by krajiska View Post
Ixtab Thanks for the advice. See what I can still be done, but in all I have to give it up. It seems that this does not help my kindle
It can.

You just have to follow the directions to do it by hand, the same way it was being done about a year ago here.
Start with reading the posts suggested.
Related entries to be found in our master index.

And if you are trying to do all of this inside of a virtual machine - give up on that idea.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #412
krajiska

Ok I am left with no option but to spend some time reading. Although we may at first seem like an impossible mission, but let's try.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #413
krajiska

Can this be done in Windows or Linux has. I have installed Windows 7 32bit, and I've never worked in Linux. So if you can help some step by step. thank you
Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #414
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by krajiska View Post
Can this be done in Windows or Linux has. I have installed Windows 7 32bit, and I've never worked in Linux. So if you can help some step by step. thank you
Kubrick is a totally standalone portable installation that does not touch your OS (Windows/Linux/Mac/whatever). Once you have the USB stick or CD/DVD burned following the instructions reboot from that and your hot to trot.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #415
krajiska

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Kubrick is a totally standalone portable installation that does not touch your OS (Windows/Linux/Mac/whatever). Once you have the USB stick or CD/DVD burned following the instructions reboot from that and your hot to trot.
I tried with it, but I could not get to the part when you need to get into fastboot mode and it stops.
The only thing that comes to mind reading these posts, where all reminded of the need to be close to full charge the battery, it may not do it.
I have one and the same kindle, I found the instructions on how to remove and replace the battery, and I think to try and do that. Now just one more expert to explain to me
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #416
krajiska

These are pictures of my poor kindle, if you mean something. The first picture is when it is connected to a computer or wall charger
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #417
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
K4

Start here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

Get it into diagnostics mode first, let us know what you find.
Post what you do, and what the results are.
(And that thread is probably the best choice of where to post your work on this problem.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #418
DGApproved
DGApproved began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Lightbulb good info to have

i use a macbookair2,1 and have a kindle touch i wanted to jailbreak
i downloaded the boot.iso cd image from the original kubrick forum,
however my macbookair2,1 usually refuses to sucessfully boot to cds(yes i burned it correctly)
and unfortunately this includes this cd.
i also tried to boot it on a different computer i have but it was too old to boot it
(runs win 98, xp capable.)

i have windows 7 installed on my computer alongside mac os x 10.8 using bootcamp.
i decided my best option was to use a vm.
so i had four options:
-------------------------------------------------------------
virtualbox...................(mac or windows or linux)
vmware fusion............(mac only)
vmware player............(windows only)linux unknown
vmware workstation....(windows only)linux unknown
--------------------------------------------------------------
virtualbox=free
vmware fusion=30 day free trial then $
vmware player=free
vmware workstation=30 day free trial then $
--------------------------------------------------------------
all of these booted sucessfully with the following results

virtualbox..........hangs on (waiting for device...) during fastboot indefinitely
vmware fusion....hangs on (waiting for device...) during fastboot indefinitely
vmware player...........100% >succesfull<
vmware workstation...100% >sucessful<

boot directly from iso or cd (usb boot untested, and unecessary)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes i did test all of these individually with different configurations settings
also the hardware your computer is running on will likely have little or no effect on the results with the above software

i also sucessfully booted the cd on my friends computer after these tests

i suggest trying vmware player, as it is free

hope this helps

Last edited by DGApproved; 05-30-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: wanted to add info to avoid confusion
DGApproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #419
akikara
Enthusiast
akikara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sorry for the newbies stupid questions : )

I've followed the instructions for Kubrick and saw the last screen about my Kindle Touch is Jailbroken. : )

Then updated from Amazon to last firmware update. Now version is 5.3.2.1.

I am wondering about how to check if it is jailbroken or not.

Thank you all.
akikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #420
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by akikara View Post
I am wondering about how to check if it is jailbroken or not.
Try to install a hack
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote