Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Books about running

Since I like to run, I also enjoy reading about running. There are plenty of books out there that will inspire you to start running or keep on running.

Here's two of my recommendations:

Born to run by Christopher McDougall
A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

This was such a joy to read and even if you're not into running one can appreciate this book.

My other one, not read yet so I have to come back to this one.

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

Both of these books are available in e-book format.

---

Any other great books about running? Feel free to share.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks thinkpadx. Can't think of any others but I may give these two a go.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just started on the "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". It looks very promising. Some books take a while to make you want to go on reading but this one makes me want to keep on reading from page 1.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well I often walk and read using my Sony, but don't think it would work to run and read.

I need to get back to running. I have a number of paper books on running, but have not looked for any ebooks.

Should probably go to Amazon and find books and click "I'd Like to Read this on Kindle"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well I often walk and read using my Sony, but don't think it would work to run and read.
It would sure look funny though
Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
thinkpad
David

After coming halfway through Haruki Murakami's book I can only confirm in my personal opinion that it is not nearly as good as "Born to run". There seem to be no red line and the story keeps jumping back and forth and it's seems more centred around Haruki as a Novelist than a runner. I will finish it but it wont end up among my favourites.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Stop talking abourt torture!

I couldn't run when I was 17, and 156 pounds.

I thought that this was civil site.

Please, top talking abourt torture!
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Please, top talking abourt torture!
Here's a quote from Haruki Murakami. "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Say you're running and you start to think, Man this hurts, I can't take it anymore. The hurt part is an unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand any more is up to the runner himself. This pretty much sums up the most important aspect of marathon running."
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Any other great books about running? Feel free to share.
How about the 1970's classic "The Zen of Running"? A free download at:

http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages....ing/index.html
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi thinkpadx

Is "Born to Run" the one that started the "barefoot revolution"?

I'm a long-time runner but various lower extremity problems (mostly tendonitis) have kept me limited to walking and occasional shorter distance running for about the last 10 years. I did finish 3rd in the over-20 age group in my last 5k! (but there only 60 people in the race)

I just heard about the barefoot stuff recently and am hopeful that it will be an answer to my problems.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Is "Born to Run" the one that started the "barefoot revolution"?
The book talks a lot about the barefoot revolution but was not the one to start it. Probably gave it a boost though. The book mentions the five fingers http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

However I got a sound argument from one of my colleagues the other day stating that a lot of the barefoot runners run on softer grounds. Since a lot of us run more or less on hard concrete and asphalt, shoes might be preferable.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
How about the 1970's classic "The Zen of Running"? A free download at:

http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages....ing/index.html
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pick that one up. Looks good.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
LJL
Enthusiast
LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
UltraMarathon Man was a great story and really well-written; also very inspirational . . . the guy is a machine! I plan to do my first ultra (50m) next April. Here's the author's website: http://www.ultramarathonman.com/flash/

I've heard great things about A Hidden Tribe . . . thanks for reminding me to get this book
LJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJL View Post
UltraMarathon Man was a great story and really well-written
Looks good. Might pick it up from Amazon but my book quota is reached for this month so I'll wait a couple of weeks.

I've always been very impressed with people running ultras. Now that's serious long distance running. Talk about runner's high.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #15
thinkpad
David

This one looks good to "Once a Runner": "Part training manual, part religious tract, part love story, and all about running": http://www.amazon.com/Once-Runner-No.../dp/B001NLKSRU

Tags
running