Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: MR Book Club: February09 book nominations
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow 5 15.15%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 6 18.18%
Refuge by Richard Herley 13 39.39%
Poker Without Cards: A Consciousness Thriller by Ben Mack 3 9.09%
Prague by Arthur Phillips 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
February '09 Book Vote

Since there are only 5 selections this month I am setting the poll to 1 vote each person.

I will set the poll to run for 5 days hence.

Abstracts for this poll.

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
Little Brother is my first young adult novel, a story about hacker kids in San Francisco who use technology to reclaim democracy from the Department of Homeland Security after a terrorist attack and the concomitant crackdown. It was published by Tor Books on April 29, 2008.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow
My first novel was published in January 2003. It concerns the machinations of technologically immportals who have occupied Walt Disney World’s Haunted Mansion and who aim to preserve it from the depredations of modernizers who would renovate it.
The book won the 2003 Locus Award for Best First Novel and is a finalist for the 2004 Nebula for Best Novel.

Refuge by Richard Herley
Like The Penal Colony, this is a thriller set in the near future.
It is twelve years on from a global plague. John Suter believes himself the sole survivor. He has gradually come to terms with his fate and has settled into a steady and self-reliant daily routine.
One morning he finds a mutilated body in the river near his house. In his terror, Suter knows he has no choice but to investigate.
What he discovers upstream stretches his endurance to its limits and forces him to reassess not only his own humanity, but also his place within the human family he had once believed extinct.
(The author has waved the requirement to pay for this book if you enjoy it. However, I would submit that you still should pay for it. Assuming we choose this book.)

Poker Without Cards: A Consciousness Thriller by Ben Mack
The book is in form of a dialog that occurs between a psychologist and a friend of an admitted patient. In the dialog the psychologist is trying to understand the events that led to the mental breakdown of “Bucky”, who prior to the breakdown was an intellect. Bucky’s friend Howard Campbell, in the dialog, uncovers Bucky’s life and ideas to the psychologist.

Prague by Arthur Phillips
A first novel of startling scope and ambition, Prague depicts an intentionally lost Lost Generation as it follows five American expats who come to Budapest in the early 1990s to seek their fortune—financial, romantic, and spiritual—in an exotic city newly opened to the West. They harbor the vague suspicion that their counterparts in Prague, where the atmospheric decay of post–Cold War Europe is even more cinematically perfect, have it better. Still, they hope to find adventure, inspiration, a gold rush, or history in the making. What they actually find is a deceptively beautiful place that they often fail to understand. What does it mean to fret about your fledgling career when the man across the table was tortured by two different regimes? How does your short, uneventful life compare to the lives of those who actually resisted, fought, and died? What does your angst mean in a city still pocked with bullet holes from war and crushed rebellion?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-27-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hooray! I think I'll be happy with any of these books
Old 01-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
It was hard choosing between "Refuge" and "Down and out in the Magic Kingdom" but since I've read the one and not the other......
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
psst, will sell vote for karma.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
psst, will sell vote for karma.
Like you need any Karma.

(negative karma given for your post!!!)

BOb
Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom because it's the one of the list that I do want to read most. If I had a second choice, it would be Little Brother.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-25-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
(negative karma given for your post!!!)
- soz
Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I voted for Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom because it's the one of the list that I do want to read most. If I had a second choice, it would be Little Brother/
Cool... I've read them both and Little Brother was much better. (IMNSHO)

BOb
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Cool... I've read them both and Little Brother was much better. (IMNSHO)
The puff says it's a young adult novel; and I kind of feel that's what 'The Time Traders' was too - so it's inclining me away from 'Little Brother' at the mo, in favour of something different - but I'm not sure what.
It's a tricky decision this month.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The puff says it's a young adult novel; and I kind of feel that's what 'The Time Traders' was too - so it's inclining me away from 'Little Brother' at the mo, in favour of something different - but I'm not sure what.
Don't let that put you off. Many great novels are "young adult" so called. I think Ender's Game is too... and may people like the novel, young and old.

I do agree it is tricky. I haven't voted yet. But, I am leaning towards Refuge.

BOb
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh by the way, when are you going to make a group for the MRBC, bob?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Oh by the way, when are you going to make a group for the MRBC, bob?
All the pressure.

BOb
Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
All the pressure.

BOb
Hey, try remembering all the countries in the world and putting THEM in a poll. THATS pressure!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
All the pressure.

BOb

You know, I could just do it myself. But I'm trying to be nice
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You know, I could just do it myself. But I'm trying to be nice
Added. Join one and all.

BOb
Closed Thread