Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Chromebook

I've been looking at the meager offerings of Chromebooks. They are surprisingly inexpensive, but unfortunately they aren't offered in Sweden. Has anyone here used one? Are they practical, or is it impossible to accomplish anything when you're not online? Do they have multi-lingual support? How about privacy? Is everything you do on them tracked by Google?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I've been looking at the meager offerings of Chromebooks. They are surprisingly inexpensive, but unfortunately they aren't offered in Sweden. Has anyone here used one? Are they practical, or is it impossible to accomplish anything when you're not online? Do they have multi-lingual support? How about privacy? Is everything you do on them tracked by Google?
Haven't used one yet, but I planned on getting the Samsung Chromebook next week during the Black Friday deals. Not sure it'll happen, because Best Buy took the ad down. They were going to offer it for $199 (regular $249).

Google has two Chromebooks in their Play Store - one by Samsung ($249) and a just released one by Acer ($199). In their Chrome Store, they have these two plus another one by Samsung ($449).

I have no intention of using it offline. When I disconnect the internet, I turn my computer off. To me, a computer is worthless without the net.

So I'm afraid I won't be much help to you.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Chromebooks remind my of Larry Ellison's "Network Computer" fiasco of the 90's.
They suffer from the same issues: the price of the NC was comparable to a fully functional, offline-capable computer and often undercut. It was cheaper to buy fullPCs and use them as both terminals and PCs than to buy the less capable NCs. Once MS got serious about remote PC management the whole idea collapsed.

At US$249 those Samsung Chromebooks match the price of quite a few Netbooks at the local WalMarts. Put the Chrome browser on a netbook and you have a Chromebook *and* a Windows or Linux computer on the side.
The world neets to get a whole lot "Cloudier" before pure internet terminals start to make sense for the majority of online denizens.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sun started it back in the beginning "The Network IS the Computer"

http://www.aiim.org/community/blogs/...S-the-Computer!

http://webexplorations.com/blog/?p=75

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gage

The whole cloud computing meme is all in the same vein. I see the advantages, but also the problems. There is no "perfect" technology.

I'm tempted to try it out though and have been trying a few things with google docs, music, etc. with my tablets.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-14-2012 at 07:48 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Chromebooks remind my of Larry Ellison's "Network Computer" fiasco of the 90's.
They suffer from the same issues: the price of the NC was comparable to a fully functional, offline-capable computer and often undercut. It was cheaper to buy fullPCs and use them as both terminals and PCs than to buy the less capable NCs. Once MS got serious about remote PC management the whole idea collapsed.

At US$249 those Samsung Chromebooks match the price of quite a few Netbooks at the local WalMarts. Put the Chrome browser on a netbook and you have a Chromebook *and* a Windows or Linux computer on the side.
The world neets to get a whole lot "Cloudier" before pure internet terminals start to make sense for the majority of online denizens.
I was under the impression that a Chromebook was closer in specs to a laptop than a netbook. An I mistaken?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I won't pay $249, but I will pay $199.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I was under the impression that a Chromebook was closer in specs to a laptop than a netbook. An I mistaken?
The main difference I would be concerned about is the OS itself and the applications available. You can't run windows apps on a Chromebook.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I won't pay $249, but I will pay $199.
only fiddy bucks man!

It does look like the best of the three in the store..
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The main difference I would be concerned about is the OS itself and the applications available. You can't run windows apps on a Chromebook.
I am aware of that limitation but the Chrome Docs etc is good enough for text input. It's not like I would give up my HP laptop, on the other hand that is not a device I care to schlep around. So a Chromebook would be more of a complement to my other devices. The problem with my ASUS Transformer is that the keyboard isn't that type friendly. So I want something with a regular keyboard but not weighing in at 1 kg or more.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm waiting for the Windows 8 Pro Surface tablets. They look very promising - the portability of a tablet with the ability to run legacy Windows apps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

But will they be light and portable enough?
I think they will be just like any Win7 laptop, clunky but feature rich.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Key specs of the 3 Chromebooks currently available from Google.

Acer C7 -- $199
  • Display: 11.6" -- 1366 x 768 -- 135 ppi
  • Processor: Intel Celeron 847 dual core
  • Speed/ RAM: 1.1 GHz -- 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • Boot Time: 20 seconds
  • Storage: 320GB HHD -- SD card slot
  • Battery: 2500 mAh / 3.5 hours
  • Dimensions: 11.2" x 8.0" x 1.0"
  • Weight: 3.0 lbs / 1.4 kg

Samsung 303 -- $249
  • Display: 11.6" - 1366 x 768 -- 135 ppi
  • Processor: Samsung Exynos 5250 dual core
  • Speed/ RAM: 1.7 GHz -- 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • Boot Time: 10 seconds
  • Storage: 16GB SSD -- SD card slot
  • Battery: 4080 mAh -- 6.5 hours
  • Dimensions: 11.4" x 8.1" x 0.69"
  • Weight: 2.4 lbs / 1.1 kg

Samsung 550 -- $449
  • Display: 12.1" -- 1280 x 800 -- 125 ppi
  • Processor: Intel Celeron 867 dual core
  • Speed/ RAM: 1.3 GHz -- 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • Boot Time: 8 seconds
  • Storage: 16GB SSD -- SD card slot
  • Battery: 6800 mAh -- 6.5 hours
  • Dimensions: 11.5" x 8.5" x 0.83"
  • Weight: 3.0 lbs / 1.4 kg
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

BTW, the Chromebook 303 and Nexus 10 are both made by Samsung and both use the same ARM Cortex A-15 chipset (Samsung Exynos 5250).
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
So really, between the two sub $300 Chromebooks, you are deciding between more internal storage and way shorter battery life or a small SSD and about twice the battery time.

Anyone know how well a "Samsung Exynos" processor performs in the real-world?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
So really, between the two sub $300 Chromebooks, you are deciding between more internal storage and way shorter battery life or a small SSD and about twice the battery time.

Anyone know how well a "Samsung Exynos" processor performs in the real-world?
Well, not really just those things. With a chromebook everything is on-line anyway so the storage is pretty irrelevant. There is also size and weight and processor speed...

in other words it all matters depending on your needs.