Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Exclamation Tell Us Your Favorite Banned Book - It's National Banned Books Week

It's The American Library Association's Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Freedom to Read. September 25−October 2, 2010.

http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocac...week/index.cfm

According to the ALA, they've tabulated statistics on banned books for only the last two decades.

The Top-10 from 1990 to 1999 (Feel free to check the Full List.)

1 Scary Stories (Series), by Alvin Schwartz
2 Daddy’s Roommate, by Michael Willhoite
3 I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
4 The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
5 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
6 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
7 Forever, by Judy Blume
8 Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson
9 Heather Has Two Mommies, by Leslea Newman
10 The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

The Top 10 for 2000-2009 (And the full list again)

1 Harry Potter (series), by J.K. Rowling
2 Alice series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
3 The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
4 And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
5 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
6 I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
7 Scary Stories (series), by Alvin Schwartz
8 His Dark Materials (series), by Philip Pullman
9 TTYL; TTFN; L8R, G8R (series), by Myracle, Lauren
10 The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

Also worth check out is the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century, which includes 46 banned books, with all of the top-9 listed as challenged.

The ALA also tabulates statistics ranging from yearly challenges to most cited reasons for a ban. (Interestingly, the 2nd most common reason is "Unsuited to Age Group.")

Finally, Wikipedia also maintains their own list, though it has two major accuracy warnings plastered to the top of the page (I only cite it because I figure it's inevitable anyway).

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 09-25-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Apparently I do not read enough banned books!

I think A Clockwork Orange, tops my list, which I consider one of the great works of Christian-themed literature from the 20th Century.

Harry Potter holding the Number 1 spot (which Rowling has stated she is proud of), is another great Christian-themed work, with The Deathly Hallows being the second-best fantasy novel I've ever read. I actually started the series because my church showed a video condemning various pop-culture works as "evil" or "against God." Not only was Harry Potter included, but it was the whole reason the video had been made in the first place! (I highly doubt the authors of the video had even seen the TV shows and movies or read any of the books they so righteously condemned.) Because I believe the Christ of "come and see" wants us to make decisions for ourselves, I decided to do just that with Rowling's series, and am I ever glad I did!

-Pie
Old 09-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
how do you figure that the Harry Potter series is Christian themed?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Harry Potter= good vs. evil. Take an "o" from "good" and you have God. Add a "d" to "evil" and you have Devil. Wah lah!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Harry Potter= good vs. evil. Take an "o" from "good" and you have God. Add a "d" to "evil" and you have Devil. Wah lah!
*sigh*
Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Well it's a little more subtle than ardeegee makes it out to be... to Rowling's credit.

It has to do largely with the final book, and the last few chapters. I am somewhat hesitant to give away too much because it revolves around some of Harry's final actions, and the results of those actions. He is his mother's son. (Maybe another thread so no accidental spoilers? And I don't want to go too far afield this early in this thread.)

I've heard that Rowling said she didn't want to give away her religious beliefs because that would make the book too obvious. Probably would have spoiled all the fun of it being banned, too!

-Pie
Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.saynotocrack.com/index.ph...idlife-crisis/
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Well it's a little more subtle than ardeegee makes it out to be... to Rowling's credit.

It has to do largely with the final book, and the last few chapters. I am somewhat hesitant to give away too much because it revolves around some of Harry's final actions, and the results of those actions. He is his mother's son. (Maybe another thread so no accidental spoilers? And I don't want to go too far afield this early in this thread.)

I've heard that Rowling said she didn't want to give away her religious beliefs because that would make the book too obvious. Probably would have spoiled all the fun of it being banned, too!

-Pie
I read it. I didn't find it any particualr religion. humanist at most
Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
I read it. I didn't find it any particualr religion. humanist at most
So is it your favorite banned book?

-Pie
Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love "Of Mice and Men!"

Isn't Grapes of Wrath usually banned many places as well primarily for it's closing scene?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
No contest. A Wrinkle in Time is my favourite of the lot listed by ALA.

Interesting that aside from the obvious sex books, most of them seem to be children's/YA titles. I suppose that would account for the prevalence of "unsuited for age group", considering that most of the complaints seem to have come from "Parent".

I do wonder what exactly was the "rationale" for the banning of Where's Waldo?, though. Because there's nothing in those stats tables that would not make me point and laugh so hard at the complainant.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

I'm just wondering how many days until this one hits the net.

(Those who do not learn from the Streisand Effect are doomed to repeat it.)
Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
kennyc

Already there I bet.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I do wonder what exactly was the "rationale" for the banning of Where's Waldo?
Bewbs.