Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #31
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Interesting is definitely right.

In fact, I had no idea that hardcover was superior to mass market. I always just assumed that they're nothing beyond being bigger and heavier and, well, having a hard cover...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #32
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
My opinion: PRS-505 wins over Libre. I don't know about the Kobo.

I had the Libre at home for a week and what I didn't like about it was the screen. First, it has a sort of greenish background color that I couldn't get used to. E-ink has more of a gray background color that I found easier to accept. Second, I found that the screen is not very readable in low/medium indoor (artificial) light and in such situations is very sensitive to the angle at which the reader is held. The Sony is not great in low light either, but definitely better.

Last edited by Stephanos; 06-17-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #33
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
And another thing: The resolution of the 505, compared with the Libre, is the same. So you're looking at essentially the same thing on the Libre, except green.

a little more contrast, though.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #34
noclaim
noclaim began at the beginning.

Device: none
We have owned a jetBook-Lite for about four months and really like it. I have been using Calibre to convert PDF to ePub format. we have experienced no problems with the jetBook-Lite since we downloaded and installed the latest firmware a few days after we received it. $99.00 from Newegg. Free shipping and no tax.

Yesterday, we received our new Libre and are just as happy with it as we are with the jetBook-Lite. It is thinner and lighter but the controlls are identical. It came with a well made padded sleeve, a wrist strap and a 2 GB sdhc memory card. I do not connect to my computer by USB. I use a card reader instead. $119.00 from Newegg.
noclaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #35
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
readability

I noticed you said this is for Dubai - given that it's generally sunny over there, the eInk would probably be a better option. LCD is notoriously difficult to read in direct sunlight, so will you be reading outside at all?
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #36
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
With the release of the newest Jetbook firmware. 0.35, it seems that for most purposes, the Jetbook and the Libre are almost interchangeable, since both of them can now open Adobe DRM books. It used to be you would choose between the dictionaries in the Jetbook and the Adobe support of the Libre. Pretty much you can now pick whichever is available for the lower price.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #37
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
Petechan, I have a Jetbook Lite on the way and am actualy thinking of returning it. I had read on the Jetbook site that it worked with B&N books, but I have since learned it does not because B&N changed formats.
Are you saying that it has new firmware that lets it read DRM epup. Can I get books from Kobo books and read them on the JBL?
I am new at this, as if you could not tell.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #38
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
I noticed you said this is for Dubai - given that it's generally sunny over there, the eInk would probably be a better option. LCD is notoriously difficult to read in direct sunlight, so will you be reading outside at all?
No. Transmissive, backlit LCD is difficult to read in direct sunlight. The Libre and jetBook LCDs are no such thing, and are as readable in direct sunlight as E-Ink.

Not all LCD is the same. Consider for a moment the non-backlit, silverish or greenish screens of most office calculators, digital watches, old-school GameBoys, the tops of most modern SLR cameras, and many other everyday devices. All of them need supplementary lighting when it gets dark, and all are perfectly viewable even in the brightest, harshest sunlight. LCD does not demand backlighting. It's simply the most common mode people think of when they think of computer screens and other high-res displays.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #39
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetotree View Post
Petechan, I have a Jetbook Lite on the way and am actualy thinking of returning it. I had read on the Jetbook site that it worked with B&N books, but I have since learned it does not because B&N changed formats.
Are you saying that it has new firmware that lets it read DRM epup. Can I get books from Kobo books and read them on the JBL?
I am new at this, as if you could not tell.
Theres another thread on Mobileread how there is now Adobe DRM on the new update.

You might want to check that out as all Barnes and Noble books work for me no prob.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #40
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
check out the jetBook LITE, at that price point and its functionality, it really is a pretty sweet deal.

They also come out with free updates fairly often which is great.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #41
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I actually have an aluratek libre, which reads DRM epub fine. The ectaco forum states that the Jetbook, not the Jetbook-lite, has gotten a new firmware that allows it to read adobe epub and pdf. In turn it lost the dictionary function since Adobe does not support it. This allows you to borrow library books also. As far as I know the Jetbook-lite still does not have Adobe DRM function. Maybe it will get it at a future firmware update.

I don't know much about Barnes and Noble because they have changed their ebook format recently. I think Kobo and Sony and BooksonBoard can all supply you with DRM epubs. I have not bought any books as of yet because my local public library is so well stocked with ebooks. Now there are members of the forum who will say you should strip DRM from all your books, that's up to you. I am not tech savvy, so I just want to get my book and read it without any extra work involved.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote