Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The use of the auditory channel is one reason TTS is so valuable to dyslexics and slow readers. Now tell that to the tradpubs who block TTS on their titles.
Actually, simply reading with an audio channel doesn't help dyslexics all that much. I use to tutor dyslexics in high school (the school I went to had one of the best dyslexia programs around at the time). At the time, the standard method was to have the student read aloud and correct them as they read. Now a program where the student could read aloud and be corrected might be very useful and very doable.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's been known for centuries that short lines increase reading speed. That's precisely why newspapers are printed in narrow columns.
I have a vague notion that I've seen formulas to determine optimal line length depending on the font size. It's obvious that small fonts are perfectly readable in a narrow column, but wider columns need larger fonts.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have a vague notion that I've seen formulas to determine optimal line length depending on the font size. It's obvious that small fonts are perfectly readable in a narrow column, but wider columns need larger fonts.
The important thing for reading speed is that the line is sufficiently narrow to allow you to read the entire line without having to move your eyes to take it all in. As has been said, that probably does mean that wider lines can be used on computer monitors, since most people read a monitor at a greater distance than that at which they'd read a newspaper.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Actually, simply reading with an audio channel doesn't help dyslexics all that much. I use to tutor dyslexics in high school (the school I went to had one of the best dyslexia programs around at the time). At the time, the standard method was to have the student read aloud and correct them as they read. Now a program where the student could read aloud and be corrected might be very useful and very doable.
I have friends who are dyslexic who *hated* those programs.

Their preferred approach is, in fact, TTS on Kindle.
(Cold dead hands and all that.)
Non-judgmental, runs at their pace. And the material is stuff they love to read, not pre-selected litfic. Very smart folks. One's a physicist, the other is a tech writer for a rather large software firm.

Standard programs often hurt more than they help.
Which is where the cognitive sciences folks are coming in. Clean sheet studies to figure out what really works, not what "educators" think should work.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-13-2015 at 09:57 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote