Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #151
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent23 View Post
So can 3.4.1 be loaded onto the Aura to take advantage of this new full-screen reading mode? How does one enable fullscreen reading mode once on 3.4.1?
The Aura with firmware 3.3.0/3.3.1 would already have the full screen reading mode. To enable full screen reading, add "FullScreenReading=true" in the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file. This adds an option to the "Reading Settings" screen to show/not show the heading and footing when reading. When you open the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file for editing, use an editor that understands Unix style line feed only end of lines. If you don't see a line reading [FeatureSettings], you will add it and the fullscreen setting, otherwise just add the fullscreen setting.

The current 3.4.1 release is for model 4 hardware and not the Aura which is model 5.

Model 3: Touch N905, N905B

Model 4: Glo, Aura HD, Mini, Touch N905C

Model 5: Aura

While it would probably work if you just copied the KoboRoot.tgz file, the key word there is probably.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-02-2014 at 12:13 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #152
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
So in normal reading mode, can the top and bottom margin of kepubs be changed?
In full screen mode, .kepub.epub has some bugs like font cut-off.
No, in normal reading mode the top/bottom margins seem to be part of the header/footer. While the footer margin can be reduced by setting a negative top margin with the `Custom reading footer` patch, that doesn't work with the header.

The epub reader works fine in full-screen mode though, no font cut-off problem that I have noticed.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #153
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
No, in normal reading mode the top/bottom margins seem to be part of the header/footer. While the footer margin can be reduced by setting a negative top margin with the `Custom reading footer` patch, that doesn't work with the header.

The epub reader works fine in full-screen mode though, no font cut-off problem that I have noticed.
Thanks for your help. Because I have renamed my epubs' extension from .epub to .kepub.epub to get some epub3 support. However, .kepub.epub files will make font cut-off at edges of screen in full screen mode and work fine in normal mode.
The large header/footer margin of .kepub.epub files in normal mode can be reduced by `Custom reading footer` patch?
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #154
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I applied the patch to both of my Minis, mainly for the advanced font control. Everything looks good. I then put 3.4.1 on my Glo and applied the patch. At first there were some lines cut off top and bottom. I did some fiddling, and now everything looks good. Thanks for the patch, you are a genius, GeoffR!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #155
Loamaro
Loamaro began at the beginning.

Hi.
On my Kobo Glo after the patch `Allow download all in Browser` is downloaded all the books, but without any filename extension - just file "epub". This is as it should be or is a problem specifically of my device?
Loamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #156
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loamaro View Post
Hi.
On my Kobo Glo after the patch `Allow download all in Browser` is downloaded all the books, but without any filename extension - just file "epub". This is as it should be or is a problem specifically of my device?
I don't actually know what this patch is supposed to do, so I can't say if it is working correctly or not. Did you use it with earlier firmware versions?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #157
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The patch "Allow downloads all in Browser" does what the name suggests, it allows you to download the files from web on to your device. It is functioning just fine on Aura HD with firmware 3.3.0.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #158
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglow View Post
The patch "Allow downloads all in Browser" does what the name suggests, it allows you to download the files from web on to your device. It is functioning just fine on Aura HD with firmware 3.3.0.
Thanks. The code that this patch modifies changed significantly in firmware 3.3.0 compared to earlier versions, but it hasn't changed much since, so if the patch is working correctly in 3.3.0 then it should be in 3.3.1 and 3.4.1 too.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #159
Loamaro

Quote:
Did you use it with earlier firmware versions?
Yes. In the early firmware versions (eg 3.1.1), this patch worked perfectly. And now (on 3.2.0 and 3.3.0), the browser downloads all the files without filename extensions.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #160
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur
erikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Forgive me, GeoffR, but can you create "Custom kepub reader default margins patch" also for fw 3.2.0? It would be very useful to me
Thanks in adavnce
erikssenmar867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #161
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loamaro View Post
Yes. In the early firmware versions (eg 3.1.1), this patch worked perfectly. And now (on 3.2.0 and 3.3.0), the browser downloads all the files without filename extensions.
I've tested the patch with firmware 3.4.1 on my Glo and it seems to work correctly: without the patch I cannot download a .zip file from the browser, nothing happens when I tap the download link; but with the patch applied a window pops up asking me whether I want to download the file, and after selecting continue it downloads the file to the root directory of the user partition, with the correct .zip extension.

The patch seems to work by blocking a function that checks whether the file is OK to download, and that is still working as before. However what the browser does after it has decided the file is OK to download might have changed since 3.2.0.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #162
auraborealis
auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Aura
Hi everyone,

Here's a patch against 3.3.1 that disables pinch-to-zoom in the ePub reader:

Spoiler:
# libnickel.so.1.0.0 in Firmware 3.3.1 (38384a81c1)

<Patch>
patch_name = `Disable pinch-to-zoom in ePub reader`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_bytes = 993764, 04 46 C3 6D, BD E8 F0 8F
</Patch>

Multitouch light control is not affected.

Related thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=239945

I haven't tested this extensively- use at your own risk!

More patches to come..
auraborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #163
Loamaro

Quote:
The patch seems to work by blocking a function that checks whether the file is OK to download, and that is still working as before.
You're right! I found out that the problem at a particular site, from which I tried to download the book (in fact, this is my own HTTP-server running through the program freeLib).
On any other site, the browser downloads all the files perfectly. I apologize that I inadvertently misled you!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:25 AM   #164
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by auraborealis View Post
Here's a patch against 3.3.1 that disables pinch-to-zoom in the ePub reader:

Spoiler:
# libnickel.so.1.0.0 in Firmware 3.3.1 (38384a81c1)

<Patch>
patch_name = `Disable pinch-to-zoom in ePub reader`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_bytes = 993764, 04 46 C3 6D, BD E8 F0 8F
</Patch>

Multitouch light control is not affected.
I haven't installed the MultiTouch kernel to test this on my Glo, but could a similar patch work for kepubs, or is pinch-to-zoom only a problem in the epub reader?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #165
auraborealis
auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Aura
Quote:
I haven't installed the MultiTouch kernel to test this on my Glo, but could a similar patch work for kepubs, or is pinch-to-zoom only a problem in the epub reader?
Hmm, I don't know. Since I sideload everything with calibre, I don't think I've even used the kepub reader. Is it as simple as renaming the extension from .epub to .epub.kepub?
auraborealis is offline   Reply With Quote