Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
DennisFuel
DennisFuel began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5.3.1
Paperwhite freezed completly with ENABLE_DIAGS

Hi Guys,

I got my new paperwhite and tried this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

So i thought i will get full root access and want to change the screensaver and seek for a howto video on youtube and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvbaN-3q6I

i created the file ENABLE_DIAGS and rebooted. So far everthing was fine. i went step by step but the "bug" doesnt work on paperwhite.. so i went back and rebootet and i got back to this bootmenu or whatever.

I tried everthing but now my kindle is freezed! When i press the power button, i see the green led and blink for 3 times and nothing happens :/

can i rescue my paperwhite with the serialport tweak??

hope u could help me
Dennis
DennisFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
That video was a hack for the K4, and the comments posted for it showed various people had problems with it. Many people here have had problems with that method as well on a K4. You tried it on a PW, which is not the same.

Were you actually able to get into the diags menu? Did you rename your 800x600 screensavers folder as shown in the video?

You really show undo your changes. Rename the original 800x600 folder back after deleting the symlink.

Can you see your PW as a USB device from your host PC?

Some of your described behavior seems inconsistent with how I understand the behavior of a PW. What firmware version do you have on it?

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
DennisFuel

Hi,
the firmware is or was the current v5.3.1! When i press 2 times the power button the kindle will be detected but as a device not as flash drive :/

i found the MFGTOOL, it connects with the pw but no update or "fastboot" process start.

this is what i actually see:

OK UPDATE:
I found this and i could restart! http://factory-reset.com/wiki/Kindle_Paperwhite

But now when it reboot i came back into the "usb device mode" with ENABLE_DIAGS and the pw appears great as flash drive and i can browse into the files.

NOW, how can i remove the "ENABLE_DIAGS" file? It disappeard...

Last edited by DennisFuel; 01-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Diags will drain your battery. Plug it into a wall charger. To exit diags you need to create a missing xml file and folder. You can do that by selecting the first diag in the main diags menu. Then select "disable diags" from the exit menu. That will delete ENABLE_DIAGS and reboot to main mode.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
DennisFuel

okay.. do u mean "L) Device into from xml file?

When i tried it and then i disable diags i get the error: Could not mound/access customer partition

Last edited by DennisFuel; 01-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFuel View Post
okay.. do u mean "L) Device into from xml file?

When i tried it and then i disable diags i get the error: Could not mound/access customer partition
No!

Look at the screenshot you posted above. Is "L) Device info from xml file" the first selection on the main diags menu? No, it is not. Why did you select it?

What is the first selection on the menu, as shown in your screenshot, that I told you to choose? According to your screenshot photo, it is "S) Device Setting". Perhaps you should try doing what I told you. Just select it, then exit. Do not make any changes while in there. Okay? After that, the missing xml file should have been created.

You are lucky that the thing you selected did NOT corrupt your device info (idme vars)...

Now go back and do as I said. Please...

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-12-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
DennisFuel

Okay, so far what i did:

S) Device Settings-> S) Set Serial Number
E) Set PCB ID
U) Set MAC Adress
I) Set Manufacturing Code

G) TCP_IP set device settings
T) Display Serial Number Barcode
L) Device info from xml file

and i choose S) but then i came in a new menu where i have to type a serial number but without a keyboard and if i press on X) Exit nothing happen... is my device bricked?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
DennisFuel

can plz someone send me the xml file so i will send it via usb device mode to my kindle..
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFuel View Post
Okay, so far what i did:

S) Device Settings-> S) Set Serial Number
E) Set PCB ID
U) Set MAC Adress
I) Set Manufacturing Code

G) TCP_IP set device settings
T) Display Serial Number Barcode
L) Device info from xml file

and i choose S) but then i came in a new menu where i have to type a serial number but without a keyboard and if i press on X) Exit nothing happen... is my device bricked?
The image you posted above shows your Kindle in a holder or stand of some sort.

Are you doing this with the Kindle in that holder or stand?

Does that holder or stand have a magnet in the lower right corner?

- - -

Better yet - take your Kindle out of that stand - try the directions again.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
geekmaster

The latest menu you are in wants input from the serial port. I have told you NOT to do anything in that menu. Just go into it and then exit it. If you keep doing things I did not say to do, or things I said NOT to do, you will get yourself into a worse situation.

Try again after rebooting, but follow my instructions next time.