Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
tamarac
tamarac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Must be a way to INSTALL Calibre on my PC

Help,

I am highly computer literate but I have NO idea how to install Calibre on my Windows 7 PC. I went to the Calibre download site and downloaded the Windows version program.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

What I ended up with in a folder called UPDATA_M04R752 which is supposed to be version 0.8.5. What is contained in the folder is MSB04-FW.BIN (binary files) and MSB04-FW.ID (ID filed) but no executable file. This appears to be a folder for UPDATING Calibre not installing it but every location I go to that "downloads" the latest version gives me the same download files. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance!!
tamarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am on a Mac but I am pretty sure you are supposed to get a file called calibre-0.8.5.msi for windows...

Try this link
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/0.8.5/
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I am on a Mac but I am pretty sure you are supposed to get a file called calibre-0.8.5.msi for windows...

Try this link
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/0.8.5/
Try here...

http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win32
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
tamarac

Hi, Thanks for the input so far but my problem is not getting the download but rather How to INSTALL it. I have the download that is linked to in the above replies which is a folder with two files, neither of which is any kind if executable to install the program. The two files are a .BIN file and and .ID file. I am running a Windows 7 PC. I would assume the BIN file is the data packet and the ID files ID's the file version but nothing to run for an install. Thanks for anyone's continued help.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Sounds like you downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, instead of downloading the .msi file and double-clicking on it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There should *not* be any folders or multiple files. You should have one file, calibre-0.8.5.msi, which you run.

Are you picking 'open' when you download it? Try downloading with 'save' instead. Are you using a download manager? Try disabling it, because it is being too helpful.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Do you mean that when you click those links, you are not prompted to download a file called 'calibre-0.8.5.msi' ?! And instead you get a folder with 2 files in it ?

You should end up with the .msi file on your hard disk, which you double-click and then the installation process should start ...

EDIT: mmm, sorry for pointing out all that again, while I was typing 2 posts were added
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm voting for the download accelerator as being the culprit.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
tamarac

Hi Susan, Your post helped. It turns out that when I downloaded the program I was actually downloading TWO different files (one a folder with two files [mentioned above]) and one the .MSI file. Since the folder on my PC I download to has a number of files the .MSI file kinda got lost in the list and only the data file folder caught my eye. After your post I re-inspected the list of downloaded files on my PC and there was the .MSI file. Thank you ALL so much and especially Susan. Now I start learning Calibre and see it it does what I need (converting ePub files to Kindle format).
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
In Windows, the Run dialog box defaults to programs, which does NOT include .msi installation programs. You can choose all files to see everything.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote