Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
if folder support had been added this would not happen.
The simpler solutions are often better, yes!
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
The simpler solutions are often better, yes!
Guess what: this wouldn't help for anyone that wanted to put a kepub on a shelf!! [EDITED TO REMOVE A BUNCH OF ARGUMENTS THAT ARE A REHASH OF A PREVIOUSLY BEATEN HORSE BEFORE I POSTED]. The simpler solutions don't always work either.

Anyone that is having issues from a month ago that haven't disappeared at all (assuming you have been syncing) is likely having a deeper issue and may want to try signing out and back into your account on the device (this resets and reloads the database). The server issue seemed to have been fixed and after a sync my duplicates disappeared a while ago (although when I checked just now they are back).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
NONSENSE

Please explain tp me HOW I can have a book in multiple folders?

I'm waiting....

So sorry you left us.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
NONSENSE

Please explain tp me HOW I can have a book in multiple folders?

I'm waiting....

So sorry you left us.
symlinks - but wait, you'd need a decent filesystem to do it

Last edited by jusmee; 01-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
symlinks - but wait, you'd need a decent filesystem to do it
And that would be user friendly to 80% of the user base how? Unless of course you set up a bookmark system - lets call it: dogears, yah, that's it, dogears - that would solve all the problems. Oh wait, then you don't have your simple system anymore .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Guess what: this wouldn't help for anyone that wanted to put a kepub on a shelf!! [EDITED TO REMOVE A BUNCH OF ARGUMENTS THAT ARE A REHASH OF A PREVIOUSLY BEATEN HORSE BEFORE I POSTED]. The simpler solutions don't always work either.

Anyone that is having issues from a month ago that haven't disappeared at all (assuming you have been syncing) is likely having a deeper issue and may want to try signing out and back into your account on the device (this resets and reloads the database). The server issue seemed to have been fixed and after a sync my duplicates disappeared a while ago (although when I checked just now they are back).
I actually did a system reset within the last month, and that didn't fix the problem. So I'm going to hold off on that for now, because it's a bit of a pill reloading all my books.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other drawback to a reset is that the corrupt data (in my case at least) came ON a sync from Kobo; shelves were restored to me that I had dropped a long time ago; this was apparent from looking in the database at the time stamps on the rows in the shelves table.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
The other drawback to a reset is that the corrupt data (in my case at least) came ON a sync from Kobo; shelves were restored to me that I had dropped a long time ago; this was apparent from looking in the database at the time stamps on the rows in the shelves table.
Exactly. When I could delete them, they reappeared with every sync.

You have dates with yours? Interestingly enough, my offending shelves are missing the "created on" date.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Not sure but look at the last modified date too
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Not sure but look at the last modified date too
Unlike the "normal" shelves that aren't multiplying, none of my multiple shelves have a date associated with them at all. Just has the name of the shelf and the number of books in it. It's been like this for me since the problem first appeared.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post

It seems to be the same for me. The issue sort of disappeared when I edited the SQLite DB, removing the offending shelves, but it seems to have crept in again. The cure is always the same, edit the DB, but it is tiresome.
The problem might be compounded if you also happen to own an iPAD which has the only other Kobo reader app with shelves (I have not been able to find them on the PC app, I sort of remember them being there, but I might be wrong). If you have shelves on the iPAD Kobo app, they shall synch with the Kobo reader's ones. At this point, on whatever device you update the shelves, is then synched on the other.
You seem to have thus 2 sources for shelves. I am not sure whether this causes problems, but the issue has started reappearing on my Kobo.
Of course, if you do not have an iPAD, all this is moot. I cannot say for any android tablet, as I do not own one.

Right now I am more interested in reading (which is not hindered, fortunately) than resetting and starting up again. I like my new Kobo Glo a lot, but I cannot stand how long it takes sideloading ebooks. Actually the only time I reset it, it took almost an hour just to re-synch my library with only 160 ebooks. I would like to avoid that, I shall wait to see when the issues is solved once and for all. For now.

EDIT : While I was writing, a curiosity has stricken me to go and check whether the PC Kobo desktop app also used a SQLite DB. It does and it contains roughly the same data, shelves info included. I wonder whether that is the culprit .....

Last edited by brudigia; 01-08-2013 at 04:23 PM.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

As I mentioned, I don't have a tablet and my Kobo is my only reading device. So there's no way there could have been cross-contamination with something else--at least in my case.

And as you said, it doesn't stop me from reading, which is the best point. However, I'm an obsessive organizer, and knowing my books are floating around in there unassigned to shelves drives me a bit batty.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The problem still seems to be around. Yesterday I synced my Glo for the first time since Thursday, and I suddenly had 288 pages of shelves. When I looked in the database, the were over 2000 rows in the Shelf table. The creation and last modified dates went back to July last year, which was the same as the last time this happened. The fix was to delete all the rows from before my last factory reset. The sync after that didn't recreate the extra shelves. I checked the database for the desktop app and found the same thing. I haven't checked the Touch yet.

@Corpsegoddess: The dates Peter and I are talking about are in the database. They don't display on the shelf list. The creation date is displayed on the "Add to Shelf" screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem still seems to be around. Yesterday I synced my Glo for the first time since Thursday, and I suddenly had 288 pages of shelves. When I looked in the database, the were over 2000 rows in the Shelf table. The creation and last modified dates went back to July last year, which was the same as the last time this happened. The fix was to delete all the rows from before my last factory reset. The sync after that didn't recreate the extra shelves. I checked the database for the desktop app and found the same thing. I haven't checked the Touch yet.

@Corpsegoddess: The dates Peter and I are talking about are in the database. They don't display on the shelf list. The creation date is displayed on the "Add to Shelf" screen.
Whoops! Well, learn something new every day, I guess.

Still, it's a weird anomaly that does appear to have shown up with this bug--that none of the affected shelves display a date (on the device).