Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
jrdew
jrdew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
storage card in Kindle

What are your thoughts about the need for and use of the SD card in the Kindle? Do you recommend one?
jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
Personally, I don't care for the Kindle's directory confusion when I use an SD card. You have to wade through pages and pages to find the material that you want. I do use an SD card, but I move the material from the card to the reader. Until Amazon cleans up the directory structure to add folders and/or gives the ability to hide the card material I probably won't leave the card in my reader full time. Since they allow the hiding of the SD card for content manipulation, I can't figure out why they didn't allow it for the menu. Anyone understand that?
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Since there can be only one SD memory card, I decided to get the largest size possible. The Kindle is compliant with the SDHC High Capacity model (even though they don't mention it, and their suppor center did't know it until I told them), I got an 8 GB SDHC memory card which shows 7.6 GB capacity on the Kindle, and works just fine.

I recognize the need for a better Directure structure, but you take what you can get. Hopefully by the time mine becomes too difficul to use, they will have come up with a better structure.

Since I plan to put a lot of audio books on my Kindle, and these take a lot more memory than an ebook, I really wanted the additional space a memory card affords to my original memory capacity which was only 181 MB.

All in all, I really love my Kindle and can't imagine living wihout it.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun View Post
Personally, I don't care for the Kindle's directory confusion when I use an SD card. You have to wade through pages and pages to find the material that you want. I do use an SD card, but I move the material from the card to the reader.
One thing I've tried with some success is to move books to the SD card and then when I'm connected via USB move them from the documents folder to a new folder, say backup. This keeps them on the card but they no longer show up on the Kindle's content list.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote