Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Darthagnon
Darthagnon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Non-working Kindle Paperwhite 1 - repair possible, or a paperweight?

Greetings, MobileRead forums!

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice about a non-functional Kindle Paperwhite 1 (EY21)? My mum got a good deal on a couple of 2nd-hand Kindles (a Touch, and said Paperwhite, both 3G models). Neither switch on, and I've been taking them apart (I'm into electronics; I haven't damaged them), but I've never used a Kindle before, and don't know if either are fixable (if not, I'll take advantage of Amazon's trade-in offer for a net profit).

I previously posted about the problem, and tried troubleshooting, on Reddit.

Kindle Touch 3G
I'm pretty sure this one's toast. Screen is frozen on a generic Kindle wallpaper. Battery seems to charge, charging light lights up, and goes off if you hold the power button for ages, but nothing else happens. Possibly fried mobo?

Kindle Paperwhite 1 3G
I have a tiny bit of hope for this one; any help/advice appreciated! Power management circuits possibly fried, unless the PPW1 behaves differently with 0% batteries. 5V across USB port while "charging", but nothing reaches the battery (0V across battery pins), and the charging LED doesn't illuminate. The battery is completely flat, and the screen is frozen on a "charge battery" display (USB plug, empty battery, lightning glyphs).

Guess my main question is: Does the PPW1 go into some sort of "protection lockdown" mode when the battery reaches complete and utter 0%? That can only be exited by connecting a somewhat charged battery? Or is it more likely that something's fried?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're both fried, as they came from the same sellers - maybe they plugged both into a dodgy power supply to charge.
Darthagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I wouldn't spend any money to fix either one. The screens are so much better on the newer models, and the 1st Paperwhite was not that great, I had one. The front light was very blotchy compared to current models.

Even if you could fix them, if they were reported lost/stolen to Amazon, you won't be able to register them with Amazon.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
battery problem, paperwhite 1, screen freeze, touch