Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
vila
vila doesn't littervila doesn't litter

Device: KT2, PW2
Question KUAL extention development help...

I want to develop KUAL extentions, after searching around the forums for a while I was unable to find any information or guide, so... where do I even start?

I'm not looking to code an amazing app straight away, a simple "hello world" would be fine for now.
vila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It seems to be considered obvious.

I disagree, but the KUAL part is not difficult.

You need to make a directory with a name of your choosing. That directory needs to contain 2 files, config.xml and menu.json

Looking at the contents of those files for a number of simple KUAL extensions is a good place to start. If you still get stuck, a question about the specific sticking point is more likely to get an answer.

You need to already have some script or binary that you want to launch with KUAL that does not need to know anything about KUAL.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
There's some developer documentation here; it's also worth looking at the source of one of the more complex KUAL extensions like USBNetwork to see how everything works in practice.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
I think I'll hijack this thread instead of making a new one.

How involved would it be to make an extension for logging activity on the kindle? I'd like to log when the kindle was woken up, put to sleep, restarted, and what book was opened / closed and when. And maybe even what page / loc was accessed when.

I guess it could all be written to /mnt/us/?
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ripkindle View Post
I think I'll hijack this thread instead of making a new one.

How involved would it be to make an extension for logging activity on the kindle? I'd like to log when the kindle was woken up, put to sleep, restarted, and what book was opened / closed and when. And maybe even what page / loc was accessed when.

I guess it could all be written to /mnt/us/?
Depends on how many of those things that you want to monitor and your level of skill with scripting languages/ability to deal with the hell that is writing Upstart jobs.

You'd need to patch the scripts that handle the relevant events to log to a file/sqlite DB or write a daemon that monitors these events directly. KUAL doesn't really come into this apart from offering an easy way to enable/disable this monitoring.

Most of those events are available over LIPC (wake, sleep, possibly reboot?) - book reading info is potentially a lot more involved though.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coding, hello world, kt2, kual, touch