Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
newbino
newbino began at the beginning.

Device: none
Metadata download plugins

First of all, much appreciation for Calibre (its creator and contributors) which I have just installed a couple of days ago and am getting to know.

I have a question about the metadata download plugins and I haven't found an answer searching through the documentation or this forum.

When I hit the fetch the metadata button the next screen reads that calibre can find metadata form Google Books and isbmdb, however thare are two more plugins (Amazon and LibraryThing) active - what's the deal here?

Also, sometimes I don't seem to be able to obtain description/reviews, even though they clearly exists on, fe, Amazon (same ISBN, plugin preferences checked).

Thanks for your help
newbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbino View Post
When I hit the fetch the metadata button the next screen reads that calibre can find metadata form Google Books and isbmdb, however thare are two more plugins (Amazon and LibraryThing) active - what's the deal here?
Some plugins are used for identifying the book. Some are used for fetching metadata. Results are combined, but unlabeled. You can turn off plugins and repeat the same search to see what comes from what.

Quote:
Also, sometimes I don't seem to be able to obtain description/reviews, even though they clearly exists on, fe, Amazon (same ISBN, plugin preferences checked).
I've never seen this, but perhaps I haven't noticed. ISBN dominates in a search if entered before the search. Try removing the ISBN, modifying the author or title and you may get better/different results.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
librarything and amazon are used to get social metadata rating/tags/reviews/series etc. from isbn. The other two are used to get basic metadata from title/author or isbn
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
librarything and amazon are used to get social metadata rating/tags/reviews/series etc. from isbn. The other two are used to get basic metadata from title/author or isbn
Thanks for the added metadata sources.

Fortunately you have allowed us to disable plugins. I have chose to disable librarything for the same reason Starson17 wrote code to prevent the auto metadata download from overwriting Author and/or Title fields. I found this wonderful plugin overwriting my Series names and it bugged me.

Keep up the good work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, description, download, metadata, plugins