Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
NHarres
NHarres began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help with Kindlepid.py (obtaining PID for Kindle 2 with B003 serial #)

Hi - I need help obtaining a PID for my Kindle 2. I've tried following directions for kindlepid.py but notice that it does not include b003 serial #'s. I'm mostly computer illiterate so I'm having a heck of a time here. Is there someone who can help me beyond telling me to cut/paste stuff into Kindlepid (I've tried and so far I've had no luck - I guess I don't know what I'm doing). I've purchased a bunch of DRM protected books and really want to use them on my Kindle. It would also be nice if I could check ebooks out from my library. Sadly, I'm hopeless when it comes to this kind of stuff. I know Amazon doesn't want details of this posted online so someone could email me at [email deleted] if they're willing to help. I would really really appreciate it!

Last edited by NHarres; 01-08-2010 at 09:41 AM.
NHarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Welcome
It is not a smart idea posting your email like that... and I think you just have an old version of kindlepid.py
When that was originally written it was made for the Kindle and Kindle 2 (and maybe the DX)...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
NHarres

Thanks to those who helped.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who emailed me - got it figured out and managed to get my PID.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
jessme7
jessme7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi, I am having the same exact problem with my kindle 2 with S# B003... I run the kindlepid.py and get a PID but it is not the right one. Can someone message me too? Thanks a bunch in advance.
jessme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
NHarres

You have to alter the kindlepid.py script. To do this, find the file where you saved it in your computer, right click on it and choose to open it in notepad. In notepad, you can see the script - scroll down until you see a list that includes B001 and B002 - you need to either change the B002 to read B003 or add some new lines - if you add new lines, make sure you keep the indentation and make sure, that with the exception of "B001" and B002" they say the same thing. Remember that the 0's are zeros. Alter the script correctly and then save it and you're problem should be solved.
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The old version of kindlepid that I have did not do the special check for what the serial number started with, so it works with any serial number. I think they got a little too fancy.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessme7 View Post
Hi, I am having the same exact problem with my kindle 2 with S# B003... I run the kindlepid.py and get a PID but it is not the right one. Can someone message me too? Thanks a bunch in advance.
I didn't have a problem getting a PID, but I read the serial number wrong (Os instead of 0s). When I reran it, got a different PID, that works.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The old version of kindlepid that I have did not do the special check for what the serial number started with, so it works with any serial number. I think they got a little too fancy.
I think a change was made so it would work with iPod/iPhone serial numbers which had a slightly different format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
gigilaprof
gigilaprof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I can't seem to get kindlepid to work either

I have read all the threads out there, including everyone's comments on Igor's original post. I have altered the script to include B003 serial numbers, tried the script on Python 2.6 and 2.3.5. I have altered the path in my settings to include the Python folders. I have tried it on both my Vista and XP computers. What else can I do? I'm still getting the same syntax error each time:
File "stdin", line 1
kindlepid.py [serial # I typed]

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

(stdin is inside brackets, which I can't type here b/c it's html and won't show up)

Any ideas? I could sure use some help. Thanks!

Update: Got it! Thanks!

Last edited by gigilaprof; 01-16-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Figured it out.
gigilaprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
gadabout
gadabout began at the beginning.

I also need help!

Like others here, I have tried everything to get the Python script to work with my new Kindle (with a B003 serial number), but I keep getting the same error as gigilaprof in the previous post. Does anyone know if there is another way to find the number or to get the script to work? Thank you for any guidance you can provide!
gadabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadabout View Post
Like others here, I have tried everything to get the Python script to work with my new Kindle (with a B003 serial number), but I keep getting the same error as gigilaprof in the previous post. Does anyone know if there is another way to find the number or to get the script to work? Thank you for any guidance you can provide!
I keep getting the same error. I'm not sure what I'm missing but I'm pretty hopeless with these things, so... Ugh, I'm giving up for now. Maybe in the morning. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it very, very much.

Edited: Got it now, thanks!

Last edited by JuniperPearl; 01-28-2010 at 03:26 PM.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
pgdavies
pgdavies began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHarres View Post
Hi - I need help obtaining a PID for my Kindle 2. I've tried following directions for kindlepid.py but notice that it does not include b003 serial #'s. I'm mostly computer illiterate so I'm having a heck of a time here. Is there someone who can help me beyond telling me to cut/paste stuff into Kindlepid (I've tried and so far I've had no luck - I guess I don't know what I'm doing). I've purchased a bunch of DRM protected books and really want to use them on my Kindle. It would also be nice if I could check ebooks out from my library. Sadly, I'm hopeless when it comes to this kind of stuff. I know Amazon doesn't want details of this posted online so someone could email me at [email deleted] if they're willing to help. I would really really appreciate it!
NHarres...I am having the same issue as you....did you ever figure it out....
pgdavies is offline   Reply With Quote