Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me clear out my p-books prior to moving!

I am trying to de-clutter and clear out some stuff before I move in two weeks. I really want a cleaner, more open look in my new place, and am trying to streamline my books a little now that I am well set-up with an ebook reader and Calibre. I am keeping all my non-fiction books (I prefer those in paper since they often have illustrations which are important, or in the case of cookbooks, I like being able to see a whole laid out page) but for fiction, my rule has been as follows:

- If it is available at Fictionwise, check it and add it to my FW wishlist. If I never want to read it again, I have saved the shelf space. If I do want to read it again, it's ready to be bought and enjoyed in e-version and I still have saved the shelf space.

- If it is not available in e-version, keep it for now'

So far, I have chucked half a dozen books in this fashion. But where I am stuck in on a certain set of books I have which are a series. The most recent two in the series where 100% micropay rebates at Fictionwise, so I have e-versions of them. The rest are in print in mass market paperback. BUT my set of those is incomplete as I got rid of some of them during a prior move.

There are many books in the series (around 30) so it would be expensive to replace them all. I do know I will read them again as I enjoy this series a lot. As well, I have a lot of unread ebooks right now. So I am tempted to chuck them all, read other things, and then buy them in e-book one at a time when I run out of other things to read and want to go back to these.

I do think it would be nice to have them ALL in e-book so I have a complete set. But otoh the frugal part of me hesitates to re-buy something I own already...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:37 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Kudos to you for downsizing.

I went a step further and also tossed any P-books that were readily available in the public library, or that I didn't think I'd read again.

I know have under 300 pbooks in my house, and over 100 of them are TBR.

I don't have ethical problems with throwing old books away. Where I live, the charity stores have so many books that they no longer accept them as donations. My unwanted books either end up going to friends or being tossed in the recycling bin.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Toss a couple in your car each day and when you stop at stores or restaurants or such, leave 'em behind on the seat or bench or counter. Free them to roam the world!
Be free little book! Be free!
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I took a box of books to work and let my co-workers take what they wanted.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i give my books away to my public library for their "book exchange" and to a café near my house which has an informal lending library. in theory, it's "give one, take one" with them but i try to avoid taking, since i want to reduce the overall number of pbooks i'm storing...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Toss a couple in your car each day and when you stop at stores or restaurants or such, leave 'em behind on the seat or bench or counter. Free them to roam the world!
LOL I like this a lot better than my previous plan, which was 'leave them in a box in the garage for my landlady to deal with.' Our used bookstore won't take paperbacks unless they are mint condition current best-sellers by popular authors. P-books are seriously such a bad investment, there are too many already and nobody wants them That's what I love about ebooks, I can buy as many as I want to and keep them forever and they take up NO space!

I just want a clean, uncluttered look for my new place. I want to be able t relax and enjoy myself without so much STUFF lying around! And I don't want to pay the movers to schlep so many boxes
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Have you people heard of BookCrossing? It's a website _devoted_ to set books free and learning what happens to them afterwards.
It sounds like exactly the thing some of you who try to get rid of books should be doing, and it's a lot of fun!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i give my books away to my public library for their "book exchange" and to a café near my house which has an informal lending library. in theory, it's "give one, take one" with them but i try to avoid taking, since i want to reduce the overall number of pbooks i'm storing...
Which library is that and how do you know when book exchanges happen? I might be interested in this...
Old 07-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Which library is that and how do you know when book exchanges happen? I might be interested in this...
it's the library François Villon at Colonel Fabien ; they have a "bourse aux livres" a few times a year, they will have a poster in the entry to tell the date a few weeks in advance (it's probably a regular schedule every 3 months or so but i've never paid attention enough to notice...). it is usually on a saturday, they put a table in the entry and everyone can put their books to give away on the table, and if you see a book which interests you you can take it. since i never know when the bourse will happen, whenever i have some books to give away i just give them to the librarian and tell them it's for the bourse aux livres, and they put them away until the next one. i think it's a really great idea, i'm surprised they don't do it in all libraries (maybe they do it in others, i don't know ; François Villon is "my" library).
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Have you people heard of BookCrossing? It's a website _devoted_ to set books free and learning what happens to them afterwards.
It sounds like exactly the thing some of you who try to get rid of books should be doing, and it's a lot of fun!
+

Yes, that's where my idea came from I never got into trying to track the books I passed on, I just like the idea that random strangers might be enjoying them. I've still got some stickers from Bookcrossing but that's only because I was too lazy to enter them on the computer when I left them places. I think the B-Xng idea is excellent. Recycling a book is such a waste when any way of passing it on might help someone.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
You can sign up at bookcrossing.com, and label the books you're going to donate to that, and leave them around in places where others can read them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
chlorine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it's the library François Villon at Colonel Fabien ; they have a "bourse aux livres" a few times a year, they will have a poster in the entry to tell the date a few weeks in advance (it's probably a regular schedule every 3 months or so but i've never paid attention enough to notice...).
I've tried to look on the website of the libraries of Paris, but they don't mention this. I don't know if they do it at my library because I'm not a regular goer at all (last time I went the clerk was baffled because he had to renew my registration because I hadn't been here in over a year!).

Well, it's not enough benefit for me to bother too much about it since your library is far from my place. Thanks for the information!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

the library website is pretty bad i think. there is a lot of info missing, i'm not surprised the don't mention the bourse aux livres, i think it's just informally organised by the librarians. it's possible they do the same thing at your library ; if not, you could suggest it.

i admit i have been neglecting my library since i got a liseuse. i used to go all the time and always have the maximum number of books checked out... but i haven't borrowed anything in months.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
And if you register them at BookCrossing, you might find out if someone picked them up.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote