klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Some of these are obvious but still:

Michael Moorcock, end of time stories
Iain M. Banks all of "culture" books
Neal Stephenson, Snow crash and Diamond age
William Gibson, all three neuromancer books
Philip K. Dick, everything
Stephen Baxter, seems promising, haven't read enough yet though.
Charles Stross, Accelerando (free ebook too!)
Vernor Vinge, deepness in the sky and the other one.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #32
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Klikklak brought Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon to mind. Great book. Massive though. In pbook form it is the thickest book I own. over 1000 pages if I remember correctly but it is still a great read.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #33
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikklak View Post
Charles Stross, Accelerando (free ebook too!)
Vernor Vinge, deepness in the sky and the other one.
for vernor vinge, it's a fire upon the deep, that's the first one in the series, sky is the second I believe.

as for Charles Stross, I read "saturns children" by him and it was strange to say the least, but his writing style made me put the book down for 3 months
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #34
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Anathem, by Stephenson.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Anathem, by Stephenson.

I believe it's been nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel, by the way.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
What do you want in Science Fiction? This isn't a joke, the field is so broad that what you would like to read depends on what you want. I'll list some sub-categories and selections.

Space Opera - The Lensman series (Triplanetary, First Lensman, Galactic Patrol, Gray Lensman, Second Stage Lensmen, Children of the Lens, and The Vortex Blaster)
They are the original by the original writer of Space opera - E.E.Smith PHD. Don't look for scientific realism in them, just rip-roaring good fun. (And no, despite all the critic's harping, you couldn't just substitute 6 guns for rays in these books.)

Far Future Science Fiction - Jack Vance. For a one book primer of his work, get The Five Golden Bands (if you can find it used). For a five book series, The Demon Princes (The Star King, The Killing Machine, The Palace of Love, The Face and The Book of Dreams) can't be beat (not to sneer at any other of his works, you might like the Planet of Adventure series better, or others...)

Socialogical S/F - Mercenary From Tomorrow - Mack Reynolds

Juvenile S/F - Star Surgeon - Alan E. Nourse
The Star Beast - Robert A Heinlein
(Two different takes on having a pet...)

And for a look under the hood of real science - The Gods Themselves - Issac Asimov

(Note series here are not open ended series. They are in essence a one thematic book. For example Jack Vance's The Demon Princes are in 5 volumes. 5 Bad Guys get theirs, one per book.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #37
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Anathem, by Stephenson.
That one has been on my must read list for a while...I really enjoy Stephenson's style. Though a couple times I simply have to read a book twice to really get everything out of it.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #39
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I have just finished reading the third book in the Time Odyssey series by Clarke and Baxter.
Great hard scifi series where each book is different.
Book1 Times Eye - a sample of humanity from different time periods ends up on a strange composite version of Earth also from different geological periods.
Book2 Sunstorm - The Sun has gone mental and is threatening to turn the Earth into a roasted marshmallow.
Book3 Firstborn - A quantum bomb is on its way to Earth to make sure Earth is gone for good.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #40
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm 2/3rd of the way through Anathem right now. Great read so far but his usual style is altered a bit to my ear. Feels more like Gene Wolfe but not quite as puzzling or slow.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #41
Kilgore Trout
Kilgore Trout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Dr. Al Past's Distant Cousin series, although not purely SciFi in genre, is an excellent read. My favorites are the first and third books, with the middle one having a little less personal appeal for me. You can find them in the Kindle format, and in multiple formats at Smashwords. Distant Cousin 4 should be out later this year, I think.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #42
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I second John Scalzi's Old Man's War books. He has four of them so far, and they're awesome. I just read them all a couple weeks ago.

Also, Richard K. Morgan's novels about Takeshi Kovacs -- Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies -- are extremely good, if frightening.

Oh, and Charles Sheffield has some good books as well. His Starfire and Aftermath, about a serial killer and a bunch of other people whose lives are changed forever Alpha Centauri B goes supernova and blasts the earth with radiation and clumps of matter, are extremely good. Tomorrow and Tomorrow is a romantic hard science fiction novel, which is kinda hard to pull off but I think he did a great job.

And of course pretty much anything by Larry Niven.

Last edited by chorpler; 05-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #43
Labib Rahman
Enthusiast
Labib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PSP and an age old Dell Inspiron 1150
If you're interested in the planetary colonisation kinds of sci-fi, Kim Stanley Robinson has to be read:

1. Red Mars
2. Green Mars
3. Blue Mars

One of the few sci-fi books where the technology is actually plausible in the time frame provided.
Labib Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #44
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Dr. Al Past's Distant Cousin series, although not purely SciFi in genre, is an excellent read. My favorites are the first and third books, with the middle one having a little less personal appeal for me. You can find them in the Kindle format, and in multiple formats at Smashwords. Distant Cousin 4 should be out later this year, I think.
When checking your amazon link the cover looked familiar so I went to Smashwords and there it was sitting on my cart, lolol
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #45
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I've read them, and Jack Campbell (Hemery) isn't that great of an author, the first half of every book is just repeating the previous second half of the previous book or before that.

if you want a similar series, with much better writing, check out the honor harrington series by david weber
Yep. Read those as well. The first book, On Basilisk Station probably close to 15 years ago. The series now seems bogged down heavily in political machinations, so typical of Weber. The first 5 in the series were superb.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote