Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
de_Genova
de_Genova began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Reader will not boot up correctly

Can someone help me out please? I have a Sony Reader PRS 505 and I am using Vista in a HP Laptop. It always worked alright until recently. Now the computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize and read the Reader properly. When I open the Library it won't load unless I unplug the Reader from the USB connection. Then it opens and I re-connect the Reader and it takes all of about 20 minutes to boot correctly. When it does its not always reliable. But before it always loaded fine when the Reader was plugged in - incidentally - Its always charged up when I make my attempts.

This didn't happen when I first started using the unit. All opened well and it was nice and fast - no waiting - and no wondering if it was going to open.

I did load in the new update from online that allows for better access to PDF files etc. . And I am quite certain the battery was charged fully when I did so.......would that really cause a problem like this anyway?

I re-loaded the Library software from the disc and on line - and prior to the re-loading I dumped the programs - many many times in an effort to resolve the problem.............Any suggs out there? Thank you very much Philip In Philadelphia............

Last edited by de_Genova; 04-30-2009 at 03:03 PM.
de_Genova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Hi.

Have you tried using a different USB port on your laptop?

I would try to find out if the problem was really reader related by connecting the reader to a different pc and see how quickly it gets detected there.

If it is not your system, then I would try a different mini USB cable to connect the reader to your system.

If all these tests show that your reader is really the cause of the delay, I would try to reinstall the operating system (software) using the universal flasher.

If your system is still slow after that, I must be hardware related and then you will have to send it back for repairs....

Good luck.
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
de_Genova
de_Genova began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I do have another mini USB cable that's for use in a digital camera - it might work. I don't have a different PC.......And I have changed ports about ten times - all the usual things we think of I have tried.......what is a universal flasher? Do you mean a separate 'flash drive'?

I just tried the other USB cable with no success.

Quite honestly - since it does eventually start to operate ok I doubt that its in the hardware nor is it in need of a repair - I don't think.....

Last edited by de_Genova; 04-30-2009 at 04:41 PM.
de_Genova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
The universal flasher can be used to remove the current firmware, flashing the internal memory so you can reinstall the latest firmware.

It could fix your problems and is quite easy and harmles to perform..

Go to this page
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote